VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:28:12 01/11/18 Thu
In reply to: IvySportsJunkie 's message, "Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League" on 18:28:53 01/11/18 Thu

Correct, and if the Ivy League TRULY wantede to show the college football world a "better way", it would not be by allowing itself to fall into obscurity. Rather, it would be by climbing to a bigger level of visibility.

The Ivy League really has a chance to be a positive influence on the college football landscape. First, though, it must strive to become at least an influence.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:33 01/11/18 Thu

One of the problems with the Ivy League today is we are no longer relevant at least in football. There are only maybe a dozen (per program) of us on this board who even post for our respective schools. Cornell's been losing in football for so many years I am one of the few who even posts anything on this board. Attendance is so poor at Cornell I doubt they'll ever rebuild the West Stands and I am afraid we're in the same position as Boston University, Hofstra, and Northeastern who all dropped their football programs due to poor attendance and no interest among either students or alumni. I think President Martha Pollack would shut this program down if it were just her decision.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:22:37 01/11/18 Thu

If even one of the Ivy schools drops varsity football, I think the league will possibly drop football as a sponsored sport. If that happens, its every school for itself.

In that scenario, Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Penn probably go FBS eventually (I know the rules bout joining a league, etc, but). Brown, Dartmouth, and Columbia might be FCS Indies, or maybe join the Patriot.

I think its the magic number of 8 that keeps the league a football league.

Think hockey- its not an Ivy conference, but the schools play in another league

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Nah

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:09:06 01/12/18 Fri

My gut is that if one school (Brown, Cornell most likely) dropped football, the others would kick them out of the Ivy and find a replacement (most likely from the PL).

Among other things, too many Ivies have made capital improvements to their football facilities to pull the plug just because another team wants to quit.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Northwestern- An Alternative Model to the Ivy League

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:45 01/11/18 Thu

It may not be an option for our League to languish in the football backwaters. One could easily see a day when the academic top ten included Stanford, Northwestern and Duke--and NOT Brown, Dartmouth and Cornell. Indeed, we are very close to being there already. The Ivies are suffering from a self-inflicted wound by not taking the relatively modest steps to resume play in FBS.

[> [> [> [> Subject: What makes you think these "modest steps" are open to us, Memphis Bill?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:40:31 01/12/18 Fri

HYP may possibly have had the option to stay in the so-called "FBS" group, due to stadium size being the criteria at the time, but the rest of the Ivies were unceremoniously kicked out, weren't they? HYP chose to leave rather than abandon the their Ivy colleagues. What "modest steps", exactly, are you talking about?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Preserving my objection for the record

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:41 01/12/18 Fri

Just noting my continuing objection that "Y" was the only one that satisfied the attendance criteria at the time, and that "Y" chose to join the other seven in I-AA.

Otherwise, pay me no heed and continue with the substantive discussion.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Preserving my objection for the record

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:27 01/12/18 Fri

gentlemen; mr go green objection although duly noted would be partially overuled on the factual basis our blue and the cantabs both met the alternative requirements of an average of 17k and 30k stadium capacity in 1981. the cornelians;bears,lions and indians did not meet either requirement. it would be interesting to see which teams in the major league also met the attendance requirement.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.