VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:21:47 01/13/18 Sat
In reply to: cadyellow 's message, "CU basketball against Princeton" on 10:23:07 01/13/18 Sat

The coaches need to drill Meisner in std cost-benefit analysis and press into his mind that whatever benefit he thinks might be gained from fouling twice in the first minute of a game, it will NEVER justify the costs. LettIng in a couple of scores doesn't hurt the team anywhere near as much as benching yourself.

He sat for 15 mins because of that, so our starting 5 never got started. Not saying that we would have won, but his loss was an artery cut. It was doubly a shame because just when we finally got Castlin back and could return to full strength, Meisner takes himself out of the game.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:59:29 01/13/18 Sat

I didn't catch game. Let's see if things change tonite with Meisner and Castlin working together. Not quite time to press the panic button, but I fear that we have lost some real momentum as a program. I would have thought our CIT championship (albeit a lesser tourney) recently would have really spiked national interest in recruiting impact players. Point guard Smith seems to be the only one. Faulds seems like he could turn into something. But I thought we would be riding the wave of one of our best seasons in CU history a couple of years back. How come our recent success did not make us a more attractive to more athletes? Seems like we have decent players, but the Ivy League has become incredibly competitive and teams like Princeton and Yale have forged ahead by keeping ahead of the curve. Good players are not enough to stay in the mix. We need some GREAT ones--more three star caliber players or we will be left high and dry and out of tournament for years to come. Engels obviously has proven himself with his upset win of Michigan not long ago, but I'm just wondering....Any thoughts? Everyone on the team is healthy now (except Killingsworth?), so let's see against Penn.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
Old Lion (Coaching)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:20 01/13/18 Sat

I think we need to see if Engles has the right stuff. I am not convinced that his NJIT experience necessarily translates into Ivy success. Al Bagnoli started with a program in liquidation and has us in the upper echelons in football with another really strong recruiting class. So I don’t think it is an institutional problem. And having seen Pilling in action, if he doesn’t think that Engles is the right guy he will make a change. As far as this team is concerned, it makes no sense that we have played competitive games against national powers and yet have lost to some of the teams we have played so far, or that we were blown out so badly by Princeton. We have some talent in Smith, Meisner, Castlin and a few of the first years, but the whole seems to be much less than the sum of the parts. I am pretty sure that Kyle Smith would have done better with the same group.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:23 01/13/18 Sat

It might be valid that Engles has trouble translating to Ivy success, although he did coach as an assistant to Columbia before, so not sure. I agree that Kyle Smith would have us in a better position right now. We lost to Princeton with him only a couple of years ago in the last half second. I am hopeful your assessment is right about Pilling and that he does not waste time making the call. DA's like Murphy seem to hang on with losing coaches far too long to the point of no return.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.