VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
Dr. V
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:38:31 01/15/18 Mon
In reply to: The Mountain Lion 's message, "Re: CU basketball against Princeton" on 09:27:45 01/15/18 Mon

Funny, when Kyle was here there were complaints about his ranting and raving.

There is no basis for the claim that Kyle would have a better record with today's team. And, except for the screwup at the end of the first half against Penn in not guarding Brodeur, we actually played pretty good D in both games this weekend. We just couldn't hit baskets to save our lives.

Re cupboards being full or bare, there are no Lo's or Mullins's or Rosie's on this team except, of course, for Smith. Meisner is a great rebounder, but in the two games this weekend he shot 1 for 10; Tape was 2 for 7; and Castlin was 3 for 11. At least Castlin has an excuse: he's rusty from having missed so many games.

In today's game, you need at least 2 to 3 three point shooters on the floor at all times. Princeton has 3 to 4 and sometimes 4 to 5. Princeton shot 48% from beyond the arc; we shot 26%. Penn shot 36%; we shot 24%.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
Louise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:05:49 01/15/18 Mon

In addition to his recent poor shooting %, Meisner took 6 shots in 32 minutes vs Penn.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:56:17 01/15/18 Mon

Not entirely sure how giving up 12 threes and 52 points in the first 23 minutes at Princeton qualifies as good defense. ?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:26:41 01/15/18 Mon

It sounds like you are saying there is no way to defend 3 pt shooting. I don't think many people would agree with that notion.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CU basketball against Princeton

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:19:30 01/15/18 Mon

Sorry, this post was in response to DrV not Joisey.

Author:
Dr. V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:09 01/15/18 Mon

I was at the game. The effort on D was there on our part, but when the opposing bigs are hitting 3's the way Princeton's bigs were, not a lot you can do. Gladson, 6'10", was 1 for 1; Much, 6'8", was 4 for 6 and Desrosiers, 6'7", was 4 for 5 from beyond the arc.

Author:
Dr. V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:16 01/16/18 Tue

This conversation seems to be going off of the rails. Engles has had one recruiting class and you're questioning his skills as a coach??? NJIT is a Division I school. It plays the same kind of schools that we play. Engles took it from 1-30 to several 20 win seasons. What in the world is there to question? He took an NJIT team into Ann Arbor and beat Michigan, which is coached by a future Hall of Fame coach, John Beilein.

The first years have shown flashes, as Stefanini did at Penn and Hanson did in an earlier game. Bibbs has been hurt. Bigs, i.e., the 6'10" and + players, tend to develop more slowly, but Faulds has shown he can play.

Author:
Old Lion (First years)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:59:19 01/15/18 Mon

Faulds was the highest rated incoming first year. Bibbs was also highly rated. And Stefanini and Hansen were supposed to be very good players. Yet other first years around the league are doing better. Were our guys overrated, or is it too soon to tell, or is it coaching?

Author:
Lion1967 (Freshmen)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:40:34 01/15/18 Mon

Like you said, we were supposed to have some good freshmen incoming this year. Faulds especially was supposed to be one of the best freshmen in the Ivy League. Players like Bibbs were also supposed to be important players for us. Despite this, other players in the league who were not rated as highly are performing much better. I think this is largely due to poor coaching and recruitment by Engels. Under Smith, I believe some of these players would have reached their potentials and been more successful players. I’m still not sure if Engels’ performance and skills at NJIT will translate to the Ivy League.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.