VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Perhaps not such a good point?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:59:33 01/17/18 Wed
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "Perhaps not such a good point?" on 10:42:17 01/17/18 Wed

Don't have a clue what you guys are thinking. The switching between Ivies for ED FB players happens all the time. I just read an early commit OL named Conor Smith flipped from Harvard to Yale just a couple days ago.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: If you say so, I believe you

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:54 01/17/18 Wed

I'm not recalling it happening to Dartmouth's ED commits though.

And my recollection is that Harvard does Early Action, not Early Decision. You can still go elsewhere under Harvard's EA program.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/apply/application-timeline/restrictive-early-action

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Perhaps not such a good point?

Author:
Diogenes (AsiaSunset)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:53:15 01/17/18 Wed

Asia,

There is a difference between Early Action and Early Decision, but at the end of the day, what difference does it make? If someone doesn't want to attend your college, forget the legalities, be gracious, respect his wishes and do what you can to help him. Whether he wants to go to Cornell or Columbia for their top notch engineering programs, or Oklahoma for its football program, wish him well and do everything you can to help him. Isn't that the essence of Ivy sportsmanship and just plain decency?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Perhaps not such a good point?

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:02:40 01/17/18 Wed

Ask Keenan Jeppesen ...

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Perhaps not such a good point?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:41:56 01/17/18 Wed

Keenan Jeppersen was a potential transfer and is irrelevant in this discussion, but a small number of kids, athletes and non athletes are let out of these contractual ED commitments all the time. With regular students it often relates to finances or changed family circumstances. Sometimes with athletes it's a coaching change or simply a change of heart. The overwhelming number of ED admits, both athletes and non athletes, keep their commitment.

What athletes do is they submit multiple applications to multiple Ivies. They are held by the Athletic Dept who get the candidates pre screened by admissions. Then if they decide to commit early in the ED cycle, they simply have the fb dept check the ED box and submit them to admissions. Technically normal ED applicants aren't allowed to even have their high schools send transcripts to other schools.

If anybody thinks athletes and non athletes are treated similarly at Ivies they should know better by now. It's not the Power 5 but there are a lot of things that get handled differently.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dio..

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:39 01/17/18 Wed

If that's the outlook the Ivy were to take, they would only offer regular admission to students.

There is zero point to having the ED option if the student was free to see if he could get in somewhere competitive or better and the Ivy school being cool with that.

I fully acknowledge that there is little the Ivy school can do if the guy wants to go somewhere else for whatever reason (close to home, where his girlfriend is going, etc.) that doesn't care about pissing the Ivy school off. If Bonner ends up at Maryland or Morgan State, best of luck to him.

But I expect Ivy and Ivy peer schools to respect the ED process. Otherwise, there is no point to ED.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dio..

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:21 01/17/18 Wed

I agree 100%. Why bother? Commitment means nothing anymore.

Id think twice before going to Maryland. Aren't they on their 6th qb?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dio..

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:49:28 01/17/18 Wed

Some people would think that means more opportunity to play.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dio..

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:38:03 01/18/18 Thu

Being that he is committed to Air Force, its a moot point. However, I believe the turnover on Maryland Qbs is due to injuries. With the Qb emphasis on run first, typically equates to more injuries. RG3?

Congrats to Doc. Although I am not a fan of decommitting, not knowing his circumstances, I am grateful to anyone who serves this country.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: General MacArthur preached "duty, honor, country"...

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:01:48 01/18/18 Thu

...to the West Point cadets. The people running the Air Force Academy? Not so much, at least where it concerns encouraging young men to honor their commitments. Maybe the legal status of pot in Colorado has clouded their moral clarity. Or maybe honor doesn't apply when football recruits are to be had.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Or...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:06 01/19/18 Fri

Maybe Air Force sends the guys who renege on commitments to the prep school.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Air Force Prep is $75,000 cheaper than Choate

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:42:12 01/19/18 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Maybe he'll learn about these

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:01 01/20/18 Sat

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/non%20sequitur

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.