VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: IVY FOOTBALL

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:42:39 01/25/18 Thu
In reply to: Sprint66 's message, "Re: IVY FOOTBALL" on 16:26:27 01/25/18 Thu

"Cornell loses recruits due to Ivy League differences in financial aide."

"Sure schools like Cornell can 'match'..."

So if they can match, there isn't a financial difference.

And if they don't match, there are no "Ivy League differences", there is only a (self-imposed) Cornell difference.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: IVY FOOTBALL

Author:
Sr Punter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:21 01/25/18 Thu

Sprint seems right, if you have to match, you are sitting in the back seat.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: IVY FOOTBALL

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:03:07 01/25/18 Thu

I don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole because I recognize people have their views that are resistant to change, but apart from the inconsistency of his comments per the quotes above, you are arguing a different point.

I believe you are saying Cornell (and presumably Brown) are at a disadvantage because they can only match and not initiate. I submit that first, this is a self-imposed disadvantage because the schools could establish whatever financial aid limits they want - it's a question of priorities - and second, assuming they don't want to or "cannot" adopt comparable financial aid terms and thus can only match, that might mean they are only reactive but they can still choose to meet whatever HYPPenn offer, thus contrarny to Sprint's claim there is no difference in aid amounts. It's a question of strategic benefit of timing, which is different than being unable to offer the same amount.

I further submit that if a player wants Cornell or Brown, he is not going to sign up with H, Y, etc. until he finds out whether C/B will match.

Finally, I submit that no one here has a firm grasp of exactly how many players might have been lost in this process, but rather are relying heavily on a few anecdotes and/or word of mouth and the examples are not universally true. For example Cornell's Luke Falk was intent on going to Cornell, not HYPPe, before switching to WSU ?which was a loss for all of us in the IL).

Not to mention, as someone pointed out, Cornell beat Princeton last year, so how disadvantaged were they?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Agree to a point

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:34:24 01/26/18 Fri

I agree that at least some of the "financial disadvantages" Cornell and Brown face reflect institutional decisions, and hence, within some of their own control.

But I don't think its fair to cite Cornell's victory over Princeton and question how disadvantaged can Cornell be? The Oakland A's beat the Yankees and Angels every now and then. But everyone agrees that they are at a disadvantage.

If you want my opinion (and I know you value it so much), you'd be better of wondering why Dartmouth is doing more than fine against Yale and Princeton (ok, Harvard is another story), and also having their way with Cornell if Dartmouth doesn't have the financial advantages of HYP.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agree to a point

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:39:47 01/26/18 Fri

Please tell us Dartmouth's secret. In my opinion it's mainly due to Teevens and facilities.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: We do a lot of "Moneyball" moves

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:15:41 01/26/18 Fri

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Jared Gerbino had tons of offers. But Teevens said "I think that guy might be a good wildcat QB."

And he ends up single-handedly beating Penn and Princeton for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvu1nWjOlI

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: so

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:56:02 01/26/18 Fri

did your son wind up at one of the evil empire schools (HYPP) or the greatest college in New Hampshire, wherever he did I wish him luck

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agree to a point

Author:
New Dad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:18:47 01/26/18 Fri

I'll give you a real world example. My kid was recruited by most of the Ivy schools. His recruiter at Dartmouth stated very early in the process that Dartmouth "would not lose him because of money", and would use the financial aid rubric from Yale or Princeton (Harvard didn't really recruit him), whichever worked out best for us. They were consistent about that throughout. They never asked him to prove "recruiting interest", show the pre reads we eventually had done at other schools, none of that. Cornell by contrast didn't bring up matching until I raised the issue, and then wanted a copy of the pre read we wanted matched, copies of recent personal e mails or correspondence from the school, etc. None of that was really a problem, but it made the process longer at Cornell. It also made the guy writing the checks (me) wonder a bit about how aid would be handled two or three years down the road when my kid was no longer the shiny new toy.

Did the financial aid process determine where my son decided to play? I don't believe so. But it is inarguable that the non HYP schools have an extra hurdle to deal with in recruiting. How the schools handle that I think can tell you a bit about how the program runs in general. I think Dartmouth (Penn too) handled things well by being aggressive and dealing with matching directly and early. Both ended up on my kid's "short list". Cornell and Columbia (pre Bagnoli) did not and neither ended up on his list. Obviously there are a ton of other factors that goes into this, and I don't mean to over state it. But I do think it is part of the decision making process for a lot of kids/families.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agree to a point

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:34:51 01/26/18 Fri

I don't spend time wondering about Dartmouth (although perhaps interesting that it's endowment is about $1.5 B less than Cornell's and they still play competitive football).

One or two of its alums, maybe.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.