VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Agree to a point

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:39:47 01/26/18 Fri
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "Agree to a point" on 07:34:24 01/26/18 Fri

Please tell us Dartmouth's secret. In my opinion it's mainly due to Teevens and facilities.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: We do a lot of "Moneyball" moves

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:15:41 01/26/18 Fri

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Jared Gerbino had tons of offers. But Teevens said "I think that guy might be a good wildcat QB."

And he ends up single-handedly beating Penn and Princeton for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvu1nWjOlI

:)

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: so

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:56:02 01/26/18 Fri

did your son wind up at one of the evil empire schools (HYPP) or the greatest college in New Hampshire, wherever he did I wish him luck

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agree to a point

Author:
New Dad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:18:47 01/26/18 Fri

I'll give you a real world example. My kid was recruited by most of the Ivy schools. His recruiter at Dartmouth stated very early in the process that Dartmouth "would not lose him because of money", and would use the financial aid rubric from Yale or Princeton (Harvard didn't really recruit him), whichever worked out best for us. They were consistent about that throughout. They never asked him to prove "recruiting interest", show the pre reads we eventually had done at other schools, none of that. Cornell by contrast didn't bring up matching until I raised the issue, and then wanted a copy of the pre read we wanted matched, copies of recent personal e mails or correspondence from the school, etc. None of that was really a problem, but it made the process longer at Cornell. It also made the guy writing the checks (me) wonder a bit about how aid would be handled two or three years down the road when my kid was no longer the shiny new toy.

Did the financial aid process determine where my son decided to play? I don't believe so. But it is inarguable that the non HYP schools have an extra hurdle to deal with in recruiting. How the schools handle that I think can tell you a bit about how the program runs in general. I think Dartmouth (Penn too) handled things well by being aggressive and dealing with matching directly and early. Both ended up on my kid's "short list". Cornell and Columbia (pre Bagnoli) did not and neither ended up on his list. Obviously there are a ton of other factors that goes into this, and I don't mean to over state it. But I do think it is part of the decision making process for a lot of kids/families.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.