VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Harvard 52, Yale 50 - in New Haven

Author:
Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:56:56 01/26/18 Fri

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Harvard 52, Yale 50 - in New Haven

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:05 01/26/18 Fri

Harvard now with two road wins, albeit not very impressive. Hung on for dear life in New Haven. Yale desperately needs Dartmouth tomorrow.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Harvard 52, Yale 50 - in New Haven

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:25:25 01/27/18 Sat

They do need it, but they're not really in trouble. It's like the two guys confronted by a bear and the first one starts putting on his running shoes. The second one says "Are you crazy? You can't outrun a bear", and first guy says "I only have to outrun you."

With the wonderful tournament, they only have to outrun Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown and Columbia.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard 52, Yale 50 - in New Haven

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:00:55 01/27/18 Sat

True, the women’s side is much more interesting, with six legitimate contenders for four slots.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard 52, Yale 50 - in New Haven

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:36 01/27/18 Sat

Sparman is right.

I don't want to restart the conversation about whether the conference should hold a tournament as I think we've covered that ground before.

But the effect is as predicted. The regular season is simply less dramatic. I watched last night's Y-H game on DVR delay. The game ran slightly long and the DVR file ended with sixteen seconds left and Harvard leading by three. Normally, that would be infuriating. Last night, it was just mildly annoying because, let's face it, any single regular season game simply doesn't matter that much.

If the players and coaches want the tournament, who are we fans to stop them? But for the fans, we've replaced 14 critical games with something much more watered down.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Another perspective

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:49:05 01/27/18 Sat

Going into the final weekend of regular season play last year, every team except for Cornell was still alive for the tournament.

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:21:54 01/27/18 Sat

I've seen four Ivy teams this season: Yale, Penn, Harvard and Princeton. I am biased, and at the end of the day this is meaningless, but I have no doubt that Yale would be running roughshod over the league were it not for the Brunner and Mason injuries.

As others have pointed out, of course, the Elis would just need to get to the Palestra and have a two game heater. No guarantees of either happening, also of course.

[> [> Subject: Mikai Mason

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:02:48 01/28/18 Sun

Word is Mikai Mason may be back next week against Princeton and Penn.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:48:33 01/28/18 Sun

As a long-time opponent of the tournament, I will readily agree one of the few legitimate reasons for one is to counterbalance in-season injuries.

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:19:50 01/28/18 Sun

Then I think you may have it backwards. What if a team wins the league and suffers a key injury in the semifinals in Philly?

Far more risk, impact and variability in that instance. Harvard already was decimated by a stomach bug at the Wooden Classic. That would just cost a weekend of league play, or the entire tournament- and this the season.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:30 01/28/18 Sun

The sole purpose of the tourney is to choose an NCAA rep, NOT the league champion. So the logic would be to determine the best team of the moment, i.e. the tourney finals.

And not to give anyone a home court advantage, BTW.

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:29:48 01/28/18 Sun

Ivy League looks like a real grind already and it feels like the team which survives the 14-game marathon as Champion could well be the first Ivy Champion not to represent the League in the NCAA Tournament. The waste of time in Philadelphia will pit four teams that have absolutely zero chance of being invited to March Madness as an at-large squad. At least one of them earned the spot with the best record over seven home games, seven road games to rival courts and (maybe) a playoff in case of tie. Now these in-season games are meaningless.

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:16:04 01/29/18 Mon

If the winner of the 14 game tournament was the Ivy Champ, is the winner of a weekend in Philly the "Fake Champion"? Has a certain ring to it #fakechamp or #the2gametournament

Be glad I'm not on twitter.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:41:23 01/29/18 Mon

The winner of the 14-game season is the champ, ties are co-champs. The tourney determines the automatic NCAA slot, period. End.

Back in the ‘50s and ‘60s that really wasn’t explicit, and playoffs were sometimes billed by the schools as championship games, which the league later declared they weren’t. By the mid-‘90s, the 14-game championship was explicit. It continues, also the seven-game round robin in lacrosse.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.