VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Author:
Penn Nation
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:28:53 02/05/18 Mon

The start of the potential end of Pop Warner and youth football.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/02/maryland-to-introduce-bill-to-ban-tackle-football-under-age-14/

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:26:11 02/05/18 Mon

I like that someone who dedicated her professional life to assisting people in artificially configuring their bodies through sometimes medically unnecessary procedures in order to present a false image is so concerned about preventing medical risk.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:28:04 02/05/18 Mon

The same people who are seeking to end youth football are also advocating to legalize marijuana for "recreational use." They won't let their neighbors' kids play football and earn college scholarships, but they will allow them to get high and ill on weed. Hypocrisy at its worse.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:51:19 02/05/18 Mon

This is one state representative's bill. It will likely draw at least some support from her end of the political spectrum. I could be wrong, but I think she will elicit opposition from a number of her Democratic colleagues and the relatively small band of legislative Republicans in Maryland. It will be interesting to see how far it gets. Who knows, in Maryland.

[> [> Subject: Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:24 02/05/18 Mon

I thought Maryland Republicans were less numerous than unicorns. At least that's what the Donald tells us. But yes, I don't see the bill getting passed, just PR.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:50 02/05/18 Mon

How numerous are unicorns?

[> [> [> Subject: Maryland's Governor is a Republican

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:03:45 02/05/18 Mon

However, I think its a safe bet that he would never win the GOP presidential nomination in a million years.

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:45:48 02/05/18 Mon

Of course, no one needs to introduce similar bills in New York City because the white liberal anti-sports folks virtually destroyed football in the NYC public schools a long time ago by simply withholding funding A couple of public schools still have football teams in NYC, but that's about it.

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:12:49 02/05/18 Mon

One of the reasons that the Ivy League has been taking a lead in limiting tackling during our regular season football practices is that there are a ton of former prominent Ivy League football players and other Ivy athletes who are leading the charge related to limitations on youth tackle football.

The top research organization related to this topic is the Concussion Legacy Foundation that was co-founded by former Harvard football star Chris Nowinski and Harvard trained neurologist Dr. Robert Cantu. They have recruited support for limiting youth tackle football from a board cross section of former elite Ivy athletes, such as Ivy legends Gary Fencik and Ed Marinaro and other NFL legends, such as Brett Favre, Mike Ditka, John Madden, Nick Buoniconti, and Harry Carson. They even have been recruiting political support from both sides of the aisle, such as Marco Rubio, who was former youth tackle football coach, to be a keynote speaker at their conferences. Even current Super Bowl star Zach Ertz has taken up this cause. At U Penn, this is especially sensitive since many remember the tragic loss of Owen Thomas, who was one of the youngest football players to pass away from CTE.

No one knows how potential limitations on youth tackle football will evolve over the next decade. This is a complex issue that does merit discussion and more scientific research. As a minimum, it is important to understand how the Ivy League is playing a relatively prominent role in this discussion and scientific research.

[> [> Subject: Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:41 02/05/18 Mon

Good post; thanks for the info.

[> [> Subject: Concussion Legacy Foundation

Author:
Brownie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:16:32 02/06/18 Tue

https://www.today.com/video/should-kids-play-contact-sports-ex-nfl-players-join-megyn-kelly-1151229507630

Flag football for under 13 years is already gaining popularity.

Author:
Tad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:08:50 02/06/18 Tue

Just change the rules. Go back to shoulder and arm tackles the way it was intended. Jenkins' hit on Cooks should be treated as assault and a criminal act, or at least ejection from the game. Does not have to be helmet to helmet, just an upright opposite direction hit that is clearly defineable as an intent to cause damage rather than just bring the player down.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:51:35 02/06/18 Tue

I'n not in favor of allowing head shoes, but should intent to dislodge the ball be illegal, assuming you can determine intent?

[> [> [> Subject: Head shoes or head shots

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:00 02/06/18 Tue

Both are a bad look

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:16:21 02/06/18 Tue

If you want to see a good hit from a player's blindside, check out Jenkins' hit on Hogan on the last play of the Super Bowl.

Of course, it was as blatant as pass interference gets. But no intent to injure!! No sir!

:)

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:19:15 02/06/18 Tue

Growing up I played both flag football until age 10 then I played Pop Warner football until age 13. I also coached Pop Warner football for several years as well. One of the things I really liked about flag football is we concentrated on the fundamentals of the game like foot work for blocking, passing, and catching the football. When I coached Pop Warner we rarely passed in games. When I was playing flag football I actually caught the ball quite a bit, but then when I played tackle football I never caught the ball because I was not a wide receiver. I grew up in a football town where the game was by far the favorite sport. Today my same home town can barely field a varsity team and the school is considering joining up with another high school so they field a full team. So I think Flag Football could actually help us grow the sport.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.