VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Question

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:02:57 02/07/18 Wed
In reply to: Bengal 's message, "Question" on 23:06:19 02/06/18 Tue

My understanding of the Ivy restriction on numbers is that it's based on a four year average. Bagnoli's first year was low, and so were each of Mangurian's years. So CU had a significant number of recruiting slots to make up.
My question is whether making up those slots has any effect on the future? It seems likely you can make up a shortfall within the three years following and that ends it. But I've also heard it's a rolling average; if so, a couple of big classes could create problems down the road. Does anyone know for sure how the league rule works?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Question

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:05:59 02/07/18 Wed

Anyone who cares about my opinion, some of the guys on Columbia's list are probably walk-ons.

I can understand giving a "slot" to a guy nobody else wanted after signing day when the guy is begging to come to your school and you didn't get your first, second, or third choices. I think Dartmouth has done that in the past.

But why do it before then?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Old Lion (120)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:35:20 02/07/18 Wed

It is I believe an average of 120 over 4 years; I have no idea if any of the incoming players over the last three years are deemed not to be football recruits (walk ons) as to which the various bands would apply. Al also had three transfers his first year; I don't know if transfers count against the 120. Assuming that they do not, Al's first three classes were as I recall 21, 40 and 32. So if this year's number of 36 holds up and all of the incoming players are considered to be football recruits I would assume that next year's class will be small.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Question

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:40:18 02/07/18 Wed

Transfers count, unless the "rule" has changed, which I doubt.

Author:
Dr. V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:53:17 02/07/18 Wed

I know what a "walk-on" is at a scholarship school, i.e., a players who is good, but not good enough at first blush to get a football scholarship, but what is a walk-on in the Ivies given that all students, whether players or non-players, get the same financial assistance based on need? Is it someone who, regardless of how good a player he may be, has high enough scores to get in without any facilitation by the football staff? If so, do such players, if there are any, count against the 120 number?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Question

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:46:53 02/07/18 Wed

A walk-on in the Ivy is basically a guy who isn't given an admissions slot from the football coaches. So they have to get by admissions on their own.

According to the book "Playing the Game," Ivy admissions departments really hate it when coaches don't list a coveted recruit on the "slots" because the coach knows that the player has the scores to get in on his own. So even if the guy got perfect SATs and was valedictorian, the coach would be advised to include him on the "slots" (although obviously a high-band) rather than leave him off the list.

Once in a while, coaches get lucky and some walk-on ends up being a real player. But so long as the coach seems genuinely surprised that Johnny Walk-On got first-team All Ivy, I don't think the admissions department will mind.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.