VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Louis Vecchio

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:39:57 02/07/18 Wed
In reply to: CU_88 's message, "Re: Louis Vecchio" on 15:26:18 02/07/18 Wed

I understand the Ivy doesn't allow redshirting, unless being injured. But it also doesn't allow anyone playing if they graduate early. So basically they would rather have someone skip a semester to come back for the 5th year, than have someone accelerate their education and play a 4th as a grad student?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Louis Vecchio

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:09:34 02/07/18 Wed

Your understanding is incorrect. An injury has not been required for every 5th year that has been granted, at least if you go back some 15 plus years, and perhaps more recently.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: redshirt or 5th year

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:19:51 02/08/18 Thu

If what you say is correct, then how and when is a 5th year allowed?
I've always believed that a 5th year is allowed only if an Ivy player was injured within the first x amount of games. In Vecchio's case, his soph year he only played 2 games. However, for those many freshmen that never get any playing time with the varsity, those same players are not allowed to play a 5th year because that would be considered redshirting.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: redshirt or 5th year

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:56:35 02/08/18 Thu

The rule actually applied to injuries or other unusual extenuating circumstances. In all cases submission of the facts must be submitted and approved by the League Office to get that 5th year.

In the early 2000's, Penn QB Mike Mitchell was granted a 5th year that was not injury related. I believe this has not occurred very often. Whether the rule has been subsequently amended or eliminated I wouldn't know.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: redshirt or 5th year

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:37 02/08/18 Thu

Thanks, and I guess the Ivy could make exceptions. Just like FBS schools sometimes grant players a 6th year, exceptions are granted.
But I never heard of players simply picking up an extra year simply because they didn't play one season.
My hope would be that the Ivy would allow players to graduate early and continue playing as graduate students while earning credit towards their Masters.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Ususally happens...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:21:47 02/08/18 Thu

It ususally happens when players take off a year for a Mormon Mission.

I'm not recalling any other context...

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.