VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ivy recruits improving??

Author:
Jerrylh
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:17:47 02/07/18 Wed

Am I imagining it, but is the quality of the ivy football recruits improving. We aren't an Alabama or a Georgia, but it continues to be a shame we cannot take part in the post season tournament. I still would have loved to have seen how Yale would have performed against someone like North Dakota State.
I know we have discussed this in the in previous threads, but as I am reading about Ivy current recruits this year, I just wish our ADs would push for post season participation.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: It could be

Author:
Leonidas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:39:29 02/07/18 Wed

It could be that the improvement is partly due to the fact that the Ivies only play a ten game season and have a hard stop before Thanksgiving.

The argument that other sports have postseason opportunities doesn't work for football, where the physical toll is higher, as we read in the newspapers every day. A shorter season is a positive from that perspective.

I think many--not all--players find the ten game season a draw, not a liability.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Ivy recruits improving??

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:17 02/08/18 Thu

You're imagining it.

[> Subject: Re: Ivy recruits improving??

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:28:18 02/08/18 Thu

Totally disagree... Coming from a Texas perspective its a tough pill to swallow to only get 10 games. As a highschooler, the recruit that I know played in 12 games as a freshman, 13 games as a soph, 15 as a junior, and 13 as a senior. Thats 53 games in 4 years. 13 more than he will play in the Ivy League. Idk about the general opinion in the north east regaurding long vs short seasons? However, in Texas it is definetly the more games the merrier! We love our football, and Imo college recruits love it too. Thats why it makes no sence to consider it a "draw," to only get to play 10 games. If you hold all other factors constant execpt the length of schedule, not a single kid would pick a shorter schedule. (At least in TX, the last time these recruits played a 10 game season they were 13 yo 8th graders...)

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:44 02/08/18 Thu

Oh... misread your post. I apologize.. I would delete mine, but I dont know how. lol

I think we are in agreement about short seasons being a drag...

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:30:34 02/08/18 Thu

I'm not against the things that make the Ivies unique among D-i leagues. Recruiting successes the last few years, due to enhanced financial aid packages, are showing that being "non-scholarship" is no longer a hindrance in recruiting.

FCS Playoff participation, while interesting, is not exactly necessary for the Ivies to be "all that they can be". Exactly what would an FCS title get them? Enhance recruiting? More money? I'm not so sure there's a whole lot to gain. I think some sort of bowl game is far more likely to be accepted by the prexies at some point anyways.

What would be best is an 11th game coupled with bowl-counting games with FBS teams, a possible upgrade to FBS, and the greater visibility those would provide. Remember, while most CFB fans generally hear about a team like Toledo or South Florida because they make a minor bowl game or show up on Power 5 schedules, only the really astute CFB fans can tell you in any given year who won the FCS title.

[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy recruits improving??

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:49 02/08/18 Thu

Perhaps you don't understand what the difference between FBS and FCS is. The B stands for Bowls. The Ivies are in the FCS. The C stands for Championship. FCS teams do NOT play in bowls.

There are no teams who wish to play the Ivy champs in the bowls. FCS teams want to play for the NCAA title (however diminished the FCS is). They don't want to play exhibitions.

FBS teams want to play for the title, as well - but they also want the exhibition games for their fans, who actually will travel to support their teams - which is why the bowl committees (e.g. the tourist bureaus) pay the schools to come to Tampa or El Paso or wherever.

The ONLY two reasons recruiting is better in recent years is the fact that Ivy admissions are more competitive than ever - and therefore the degrees are considered to be more valuable than ever - and the financial aid packages act as de facto scholarships. When median income families are getting free rides, that is a game changer. Especially since upper-income families rarely let their kids play football anymore.

Nobody is choosing Ivies over FBS or scholarship FCS schools because of the 10-game sked or the no-tackle practices or any of the anachronistic factors that make the league what it is.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy recruits improving??

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:06:12 02/08/18 Thu

How about a postseason "bowl" pitting the best Ivy seniors against the best seniors from the Patriot and Pioneer Leagues?

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:39:07 02/08/18 Thu

I think I have a pretty good idea of the difference between FCS and FBS (lol). The fact that the playoffs are a non-starter for Ivy prexies makes FCS membership irrelevant. You can be in the FBS and not go to bowls if you choose to- the Ivies did it for years.

What FBS does is it gives you MUCH greater coverage and can help get the non-student/alumni fans to the games. Back when the Ivies were drawing much better, nobody really believes that was all students and alums, do they?

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.