VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: 2017 FCS Attendance

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04:24:52 02/09/18 Fri

Yale ranked fourth

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/fcs-attendance-average-drops-slightly-in-2017-020818

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: 2017 FCS Attendance

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:57:55 02/09/18 Fri

Here is the full NCAA report. Unfortunately right now the FCS "Team by Team" section is still listing 2016 figures.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2017.pdf

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Good for Yale!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:28 02/09/18 Fri

Good to see that they are recovering from those dark days of drawing 2,000 to the Bowl on a perfectly nice afternoon.

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/10/lehigh-63-yale-35-postgame-thoughts.html

[> [> Subject: Re: Good for Yale! ... and Harvard?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:04:57 02/09/18 Fri

More than half the season's total attendance at the "Bowl" comes from the Harvard-Yale game when its in New Haven, as it was in 2017.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Good for Yale! ... and Harvard?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:28:22 02/09/18 Fri

At least Yale can use its own stadium to accommodate The Game. Harvard needs to use other's facilities.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Good for Yale! ... and Harvard?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:12 02/09/18 Fri

"At least Yale can use its own stadium to accommodate The Game" he says.... well that is unless they need to use the restroom ... then Yale can't really "accommodate" them, can it, Eli?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Observer do you have a shy bladder

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:19 02/09/18 Fri

Or is it something else , wink.?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Well, "Ivy wanna be" .......

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:16:18 02/09/18 Fri

Do you have a fat head, or just a big mouth? (wink!)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I don’t know ..? Ask your [Momma }.

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:45:43 02/09/18 Fri

[> Subject: Ivy League Attendance Rankings by School

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:12:52 02/17/18 Sat

The NCAA finally fixed the report to get the FCS Team by Team Section right. Here are the Ivy rankings:

Games. Total. Avg.

1) Yale. 5. 94,699. 18,940
2). Harvard. 5. 52,055. 10,411
3). Princeton. 5. 36,831. 7,366
4). Cornell. 5. 33,967. 6,793
5). Columbia. 5. 33,362. 6,672
6). Dartmouth. 5. 27,559. 5,512
7). Penn. 5. 26,374. 5,275
8). Brown. 4. 11,997. 2,999

The Brown average does night include the game at Fenway as the NCAA considers that neutral. That doesn't bode well for Harvard's attendance figures next year.

[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy League Attendance Rankings by School

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:34:17 02/17/18 Sat

Yale's average attendance ranked more than 25 FBS programs and just short of UConn's average of 20,335.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy League Attendance Rankings by School

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:14 02/17/18 Sat

Collectively, we need to find a way to increase attendance and interest.
Some of these figures are dangerously close to high school attendance levels (and less in many states).

It is all about marketing. I go back to minor league baseball teams that use hokey promotions, giveaways and other marketing gimmicks to fill their stadiums and they do. Playing a well known FBS team would sure help, but absent that, we’ll have to promote the old fashioned way...through community organizations. League leadership needs to see that.

Bottom line is there seems to be no driving desire among the athletics departments, alumni or school administrators to generate excitement in the student body or local communities.

If we cannot do that, then football becomes an irrelevant happening, which perpetuates further irreversible program challenges. Those of us on this board represent a decent % of the attendance at some schools, especially when added to player parents and family. Unfortunately we are not getting any younger and will show diminished interest in attending games at some point. The younger community population (families with younger children) need to grow up watching our teams and the students that attend school at our institutions, in order to save the League from disappearing from the public radar.

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:03:07 02/17/18 Sat

Must be too much time on hands this winter.

Statistics are wonderful.

Move The Game to Cambridge--- Deduct 45,000 (less than Yale's fake news announced number )

Add 30,000 in Cambridge.

Yale 4 49,699 12,425
Harvard 6 82,055 13,675.

Yawn.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:35:23 02/17/18 Sat

If you don't think its important why are you posting about it? Looks like you are the one with too much time on their hands. Troll.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy League Attendance Rankings by School

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:00:07 02/19/18 Mon

Yeah, Sunday was slow here as well. If I were still sitting in a newsroom pounding on my old Remington keyboard, I'd be wondering why Yale types were hung up empty stadium seats and how many football games were won in the 19th century when they're in the midst of a sports success revival. I think my friend, RIP Carm, would agree. The insecurity is surpassed only by that guy we call a president.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Carm Cozza would disagree.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:06 02/24/18 Sat

Check out this interview at the 8:48 mark. Yale's place in all time victories was very important to him. Guess you didn't know him as well as you claim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rh84XMTf9Hk

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:02:58 02/20/18 Tue

I can kind of see how Fenway Park would be a neutral venue for a Brown-Dartmouth game.

But calling it neutral for a Harvard-Yale game is harder to swallow...

Was RFK a neutral site for Harvard-Georgetown?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:13 02/21/18 Wed

Best I can tell the NCAA counted that as a Georgetown home game. I don’t understand the distinction.

Author:
Leonidas (FBS attendance -10.1%)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:52:54 02/19/18 Mon

Washington Post article from Feb 13:

"Yet according to numbers recently released by the NCAA, attendance at games played by FBS teams as a whole also dropped 3 percent in 2017, from 43,612 in 2016 to 42,203 this past season. As told by Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, it’s college football’s largest per-game attendance drop in 34 years and second-largest decrease ever, behind only 1982-83. For the first time in history, Dodd notes, college football attendance has now declined in four straight years. Since 2008, when a record 46,971 watched live college football games on average, attendance has declined 10.1 percent."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/13/college-football-attendance-sees-second-largest-decline-in-history/?utm_term=.099d0339d028

I'm doubtful that trend will reverse.

I did not play football, but in my provincial city I attended every football game, home or away, played by my high school for four years. Admittedly it was a good team, but what else was there to do on Friday night?

My adult children have zero interest in attending a football game at any level. Baseball a different story--that appeals to them.

Times and attitudes change.

[> [> Subject: Decline in NFL Viewership

Author:
Travis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:11:41 02/20/18 Tue

It's fascinating that certain parties like to ascribe the well-publicized decline in NFL viewership to a national political reaction to Colin Kaepernick's kneeling during the national anthem.

And yet here is college football facing an attendance decline of a similar magnitude.

This new bit of data would suggest that the decline in people watching the NFL has more to do with their interest in football than their interest in the politics of football players.

Author:
Big Dawg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:33:52 02/20/18 Tue

Unless football becomes/remains a social as well as a sporting event, we will continue to see steady declines in attendance. There are far too many alternative entertainment options available over the past few decades, from social media to newer sports options to vast selections of TV/video selections.

Combine this with the very real perceived PC incorrectness of potential brain injury and violence, the shrinking national engagement with youth football, and you have the blueprint of a sport in decline. This has happened to the NFL as well

Yes, a successful team will help fill the stands, and so will school promotion events, but the writing is on the wall. Let's just enjoy things while we can still get to the games.

[> [> Subject: Alternatives, indeed!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:48 02/20/18 Tue

Football isn't the only one losing eyeballs...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/19/daytona-500-overnight-tv-ratings-likely-the-worst-in-races-history/

[> [> [> Subject: The great american Race

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:45:28 02/20/18 Tue

I have watched start finish and in between for the Daytona 500 for 30 +yrs. It's great TV to me a can't miss must watch event, too bad ratings are declining bc it is fun to watch them go 3 sometimes 4 wide in turn 3

As DW likes to say Boogity Boogity Boogity

[> [> Subject: Re: 2017 FCS Attendance

Author:
Penn Nation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:50:52 02/20/18 Tue

Great post! It's a sport in decline as far as attendance in the Ivy League is concerned.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.