VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Invisible Referees Not Always Invisible

Author:
New York Hoops
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:06:10 02/12/18 Mon
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Invisible Referees Not Always Invisible" on 00:16:04 02/12/18 Mon

Wow that’s interesting. None of the refs I’ve ever seen remotely look like that. I’m going to watch more game!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Invisible Referees Not Always Invisible

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:57:57 02/12/18 Mon

I had always assumed that Ivy refereeing would be a low key, local affair. In other words, I figured that every referee drove from within an hour or two radius of the game site, with the possible exception of Cornell and Dartmouth due to their geographic location.

Instead, there appears to be an active national market for officials, even for women's games which might have lower budgets. Ivy refs fly in for games from all over.

Here's another trivia question resulting from my recent reading, a two-parter: (a) How much does an Ivy women's basketball referee make for one game? (b) How much does an ACC women's basketball referee make for one game?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Invisible Referees Not Always Invisible

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:40:15 02/12/18 Mon

This is slightly dated information but, as of five years ago, referees for Ivy women's basketball earned $500 per game. At that price, it almost doesn't make sense to draw from a national pool.

Between airfare and potentially a hotel stay, the compensation to the individual involved is a fraction of the total expense. The conference might be better off significantly increasing the individual comp and aiming to draw the cream of those who can drive to the game.

Referees must arrive at least 1.5 hours before game time so, between travel and the pre-game cushion, you're usually tying up one full day of the official's time, if not two in the event of an overnight stay. $500 for one or up to two days' time seems rather modest.

In the ACC, women's basketball referees make $2000 per game, so you can see that other conferences might be adopting my suggestion, although I suspect that, if the Ivy League is recruiting officials nationally, the ACC probably is, too.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.