VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Cornell Football Extends Archer

Author:
GoBigRed
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:17:05 02/12/18 Mon

Again...Thoughts?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Cornell Football Extends Archer

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:41:19 02/12/18 Mon

give the guy a break, try supporting the program with meaningful contributions like I did when D football was down. Friends of Dartmouth football went from couple hundred thousand to over a million, it made a difference

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:42:30 02/13/18 Tue

Couple ways to look at it:

1) Beating Harvard warrants an extension

2) Going 3-7 at Cornell warrants an extension

3) People at Cornell love Archer.

Author:
LGR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:38:06 02/13/18 Tue

12-38, coming off 3-7. Hard to send $$ to the program when it feels like it will either go toward a buyout or to reward mediocrity.

[> [> Subject: Re: Cornell Football Extends Archer

Author:
Unknown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:18:58 02/13/18 Tue

I was thinking Cornell was going to put Archer under pressure to perform, but clearly I was off. It will be comforting to recruits that the head coach position is stable.

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:38:12 02/13/18 Tue

BGA posted a comparison between Archer and Teevens after five years. Patience worked in Hanover. Time will tell whether it pays off in Ithaca.

[> [> Subject: Support the Program

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:55:58 02/13/18 Tue

I over doubled my contributions to Dartmouth FOF. If the Cornell guys would do that it would make a huge difference. Kinda like Put up or Shut up. It pays for more recruiting trips and so much more. Remember we are fighting the Evil Empire of HYP and it takes big bucks to do that so pony up

[> [> [> Subject: Hey

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:55:51 02/13/18 Tue

Harvard is the evil empire. We're the nice one and not in league with those guys.

[> [> Subject: I don't think it was "patience"

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:22:31 02/13/18 Tue

I understand BGA's comparison, and Teevens *did* eventually turn things around after a very slow start.

But Dartmouth really didn't have "patience" there. Rather, Dartmouth was paralyzed by the financial crash of 2008 and transition in the president's and athletic director's offices.

Full credit to Teevens for performing once the dust settled in Hanover. But he was retained more out of necessity than faith.

Also forgot to mention that Archer *did* go 3-4 in league play last season, which is a personal high for him. So there's that...

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:33:13 02/13/18 Tue

I like David Archer as a person and he's done some good things, but I sure wish we would see better results on the field. Columbia hired Bagnoli and they went 8-2 last season in only three years. After 2016 when we finished 4-6 it seemed like the program was improving, but then this past season we dropped to 3-7. While the defense kept us in some games, the offense last season took a significant step backwards and at times looked disorganized throughout the season. I would think 2018 will be a pivotal season for Coach Archer.

[> Subject: Re: Cornell Recruits can look forward to more losing.

Author:
RedWin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:52:40 02/14/18 Wed

Unbelievable and only at Cornell would they extend a coaches contract with a 12-38 record. No other school in the Ivy League would do such a dumb thing. Recommendation to all alumni do NOT give this program another dime! I have given to this program every year since my playing days but the only way to see change is send a clear message this is not acceptable.

[> [> Subject: Re: Cornell Recruits can look forward to more losing.

Author:
RedNeck
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:32 02/14/18 Wed

Oh, come guys don't be so hard on Andy & the program. Andy is just practicing Albert Einstein's definition of insanity. I'm with RedWin, not another dime!

Author:
BigRed90
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:15:17 02/16/18 Fri

I agree with not giving a dime to this program. I’ve donated money every year since the 90’s, but until Andy and the administration show they care, I’m done. I feel for the kids, but this staff is a joke. The fact that they celebrate 3 wins in the Ivy League tells me all I need to know.

Author:
cornell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:23:20 02/17/18 Sat

What an interesting thread... read the comments from non-Cornell posters and then read the comments from Cornell posters.

It is exactly like I described in the past. All Ivy teams (other than Cornell) want Archer to stay to guarantee at least one win on their Ivy schedule. People will jump in and say, but Cornell beat Harvard!

Do you realize that the 3 Ivy wins that Archer got this year were against teams that had a train wreck of a season? Harvard, Princeton, Brown.

When a team is playing strong they hope Archer comes in and lays an egg as usual (Yale, Dartmouth, Columbia and Penn).

Inept head coach who is in way over his head and has no other teams wanting to hire him, offensive coordinator capable of scoring zero points a game, QB coach who consistently makes quarterbacks worse under his guidance all the while not playing the high school all-american kid they somehow stumbled upon, a defense solid enough to maintain a win but not great enough to replace the offense as the scoring threat and key seniors gone because they graduated.

As opposing fans read this outlook, they smile or try to create a straw man argument. People love Archer they say. Stick with Archer like we stuck with Teevens... Did Teevens not win the Ivy title twice in his first 5 years? He started out in 7th place his first year and ended up 1st in his 4th and 5th years. Archer started out 7th in his first year and where is he now? What is Archer's greatest accomplishment in his 5 year career?

For Andy, he lost so much with this decision. He is losing many alumni (including me). I'm done. Just like the other posters on this board. I was saying early in the season to withhold funds to force the change. But Andy seems to want to mismanage the program.

To renew Archer's contract after a 3 win season that has been a disaster of a coaching career... Well if Andy doesn't care about wins/losses, many of the donors won't care about contributions. I have other things to spend my time, money and energy on. It is just a shame for these Cornell kids that are talented and work hard to end up going through the losing experience that they are enduring with this incompetent staff.

[> [> Subject: Re: Cornell Football Extends Archer

Author:
RedWin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:29 02/20/18 Tue

When David Archer was hired back in late 2012 we were all hopefull he could build a winning program. We were all patient those first two to three years, but then he hires Joe Villapiano as OC who had zero experience in that position. That really pissed me off as that was a job Archer needed to get right. On top of that Shane Hurd has done nothing as the QB coach which again is a key role on any College team. That’s why I have advocated for a change. I hate to be a prick but enough is enough.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell Football Extends Archer

Author:
Cornell Parent '16
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:05:37 02/20/18 Tue

As a parent we liked David Archer but he may been in over his head. After the 2015 season when we finished 1-9 back to back, we thought his contract would be terminated and some parents were actually surprised to see Coach Archer at the banquet. The low point for us was the Yale game in 2015 when we were up by two or three touchdowns. Luke Hagy was on fire running the ball and the staff stopped giving it to him in the second half, and Yale came back to win the game. As a parent that was a very tough loss.

However it wasn't all Coach Archer's fault. Our son received multiple full scholarship offers and then came to Cornell where we paid most of the freight. During the recruiting process we were told Cornell was renovating the stadium and building a new indoor practice facility and neither of those promises were ever fulfilled. Part of the stadium was condemned and it was really annoying to sit in the stadium next to fans from the other team. I remember the Colgate game I was about ready to punch one of the obnoxious Colgate fans, but fortunately my wife cooled me down.

We thought the defensive coaches were pretty good, especially Travis Burkett who left Cornell last year. However, the offense never really had an identity and it seemed like every game there was a new plan and what worked the previous week was thrown out the window. We went to the Columbia game last season and the offense couldn't score a point until the last minute when the 2nd and 3rd strings were in the game. Rather surprising for a former offensive linemen and captain, you would think the offense would be our strength. We wish the team well.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.