VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: New Harvard President Unlikely to Rein In Amaker

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:03:56 02/14/18 Wed
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "New Harvard President Unlikely to Rein In Amaker" on 23:37:51 02/11/18 Sun

My concern noted on this thread is that some of the alums assume that a coach must be cheating if he consistently wins in the Ivy League. I tend to think that these Ivy coaches win because they are good coaches, great motivators and good recruiters. They do not need to lower academic standards to win. Eldo (Al) Bagnoli won at Penn and now is winning at Columbia, not by lowering standards, but by being a damn good coach.

MrJames has influenced me to learn about our highest ranked basketball recruits. When you do this, you will be so impressed by how each of the Ivies are continually upgrading the quality of their recruits on the court and in the classroom (such as noted by Harvard achieving a remarkable average team GPA over 3.9). If anything, our administrations should be extremely proud of this track record. Yes, we have had a few issues at each of our schools, but unlike the Power 5 conferences, our track record among our student athletes is only getting better. This month, the Ivies are setting all time records for number of applications to get into our schools making it harder and harder to get into our schools and making us even more attractive to prospective athletes and to recruiters at employers. As our financial aid packages continue to improve, I think you will see continued improvement in the classroom and on the court, field, diamond and rink. Just as so many of our jock alumni would not have qualified today for admissions, many on current rosters would not qualify in a decade from now.

We may not win NCAA championships in the major sports (other than hockey), but we are bringing home the gold medal in the quality of our athletes on campus and post-graduation.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: New Harvard President Unlikely to Rein In Amaker

Author:
Crimson Carl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:22:16 02/14/18 Wed

Until Harvard dominates the Ivy League in BB I doubt there is anything to worry about. And given how their highly rated recruits haven't that done to date....it may never happen.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: What planet have you been on?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:30:01 02/14/18 Wed

If I told you that an Ivy team won five straight BB titles from 2010-15, what team would you think I'm talking about?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What planet have you been on?

Author:
Crimson Carl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:06:50 02/15/18 Thu

Two of those shared :)

[> [> Subject: ah

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:24:29 02/14/18 Wed

Bucknell?

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.