VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Old Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:27:33 05/31/18 Thu

ESPNU will be the provider this year under the new ESPN deal. Five games moved to Friday night, Y-H, each team on at least once. Yale appears thrice, Penn and Cambridge Community College (I kid, I kid) twice, all others once.

Yale-Dartmouth included, wonder if this will impact plans to honor Carm Cozza that weekend.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Uptown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:35:36 05/31/18 Thu

Will the rest of teh games be available on ESPN- ?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:28:10 05/31/18 Thu

All other games should be available under ESPN+ with the Ivy online stream now history.

Holtsledge, I don’t know if the IL picked the games or if they were chosen by our new overlords in Bristol, but I assume the blame goes to the broadcaster.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:37:49 05/31/18 Thu

Old Eli, no doubt you are correct that the "blame" goes to "our new overlords in Bristol" (brilliant term), but let's be fair. ESPN is not going to broadcast our game on a "perfect fall day" when it has much better options available at that time.

The only reason we are getting on ESPNU in the first place is because we are willing to move our games to Friday night. For us, the choice is Friday night or some combination of ESPN+ and ESPN3.

Author:
Jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:42:34 06/01/18 Fri

Are you saying that the Ivy League Digital network is going away??? Or at least for football games??

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:44 06/01/18 Fri

Ivy Digital Network gone in toto. ESPN+ will effectively replace it, for all sports. Similar deals being rolled out with several conferences, latest example was A-10 yesterday. The sales hook is that instead of paying to watch on Ivy, the $5 per month subscription to + gets you all of its content, including Ivy games in several sports. What a deal!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yes

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:39:40 06/01/18 Fri

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-buys-rights-ivy-league-sports-air-most-events-new-espn-platform.html

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: And here

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:41:07 06/01/18 Fri

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/04/04/Media/ESPN-Ivy-League.aspx

[> Subject: just ruined

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:41:52 05/31/18 Thu

a normal perhaps perfect fall Sat afternoon game at the bowl for a lousy 6 PM Fri start, not peak but good beginning to fall foliage season. Please tell me how that is better than possible great Sat afternoon. I am not a fan ah but that's just me. Nothing like portable lights brought in to make it a real fan friendly experience

[> [> Subject: Re: just ruined

Author:
Diogenes (holtsledge)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:54:51 05/31/18 Thu

Agree. And, wouldn’t it be nice to honor Coach Cozza on a lovely Fall day?

Author:
Poison IVY
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:35:56 06/01/18 Fri

What are the other conference games which will be broadcast on Fridays?

Author:
Louise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:52:02 06/01/18 Fri

Ivy League Football on ESPN Networks

Friday, Sept. 21 Harvard at Brown 7 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Sept. 28 Princeton at Columbia 7 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Oct. 5 Dartmouth at Yale 6 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Oct. 19 Yale at Penn 7 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Nov. 2 Penn at Cornell 6 p.m. ESPNU
Sat Nov. 17 Yale vs. Harvard (Fenway Park) TBA
ESPN Network TBD

Author:
IVYfan (excited)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:00:37 06/06/18 Wed

Games I'm most excited for....
1) The game
2) Princeton @ Columbia (friday night thriller)
3) Dartmouth @ Yale (revenge game for Eli)
4)Yale @ Penn ( night games at Franklin are always fun)
5)Penn @ Cornell (nothing too special about this match up)
6) Harvard @ Brown (I got the Crimson by 30+)

Author:
Ted (Mad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:32 06/01/18 Fri

Great. Gotta cross GWB now during Friday rush hour for Columbia v Princeton.

[> [> Subject: Or...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:20:28 06/01/18 Fri

You could watch it on TV.

[> [> [> Subject: True

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:50:22 06/01/18 Fri

Where he, along with all the other viewers, can marvel at the empty stands.

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:03:20 06/01/18 Fri

ESPN+ is a good deal when compared to the late ILDN.
What did a month of ILDN cost? $10?

At $5 for ESPN+, you get every football game (minus the six on "linear" ESPN networks), all other Ivy sports, a host of other conferences, plus games from MLB, NHL, pro soccer, UFC, CFL and others.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the new overlords in Bristol, nor do I live or work in Bristol.

Author:
Son of Eli (request for Voy Vey)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:22 06/01/18 Fri

Can you post the TV ratings of the Yale-Duke national championship game?

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:14 06/01/18 Fri

The championship game had 374,000 viewers on ESPN2. Down from last year, where Ohio St/Maryland was watched by 416,000.

Yale's Saturday semi-final game had 149,000 viewers. Duke/Maryland in a better time slot got 185,000. Both those numbers were down from last year, where the two semi-finals averaged about 250,000, but last year's semi's were on ESPN2, not ESPNU.

FWIW, the NCAA softball tournament gets numbers as good or better on ESPN2. And, their ESPN numbers are significantly better (from 500,000 to near a million), but that's to be expected, given "the big channel's" stature.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:38:14 06/01/18 Fri

Thank you Voy Vey. Hopefully these #'s will be enough to justify the Yale-Harvard Football game being broadcast on ESPN 2.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:48 06/01/18 Fri

My guess is that it will probably be determined more by what other games ESPN has the rights to, and what time blocks the various schools (including Y & H) are willing to accept.

I suppose ESPN2 is possible. Last year, they had Auburn vs. Louisiana-Monroe in the Noon time slot. 526,000 viewers.
Then Kansas State / Oklahoma State at 3:30. 831,000 viewers. I don't know that they'd bump a Big 12 game for Y-H, but if they're putting an Auburn vs. creampuff game in the early slot, maybe they'd consider Y-H there.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:24:10 06/01/18 Fri

It would be great for Yale and Harvard football to get that kind of national exposure. The Game was lost on CNBC, whose normal Saturday afternoon programming was infomercials. Hopefully the novelty of playing at Fenway will be enough to get the game on ESPN 2.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:03:07 06/02/18 Sat

I'm sure they are aware they could get a larger audience of Auburn fans watching an intrasquad scrimmage than an Ivy League game.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:35 06/03/18 Sun

There's a reason the TV listings still list the Yale-Harvard game channel as "TBA". They aren't considering between choosing ESPNU and ESPN+. I think if the Yale-Harvard game has Ivy title implications it will be on ESPN2. Remember in 2014 ESPN chose Yale-Harvard as their College Gameday broadcast in such a scenario. With th game already sold out I sure the league will be pushing for ESPN2, as will ESPN/Yale sponsor Under Armour.

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:46 06/05/18 Tue

I'm sure CBS is aware they could get a larger audience of Auburn fans watching an intrasquad scrimmage than an the Army/Navy game. Yet, they broadcast the latter and not the former.

Ultimately, this much is known: there will be six Ivy football games on "linear" (a.k.a., cable) ESPN channels. Five on Friday nights on ESPNU. One on a Saturday, with kickoff time and network TBD. The other 22 Ivy games will be streamed on ESPN+.

The only options for the "TBD" broadcast are:
ESPN (no way)
ESPN2 (possibility)
ESPNU (possibility)
ESPN Classic (possibility)
ESPNews (generally only broadcasts live events if they run over their broadcast window or otherwise get postponed)
ESPN Deportes (Spanish-language channel only)

Since the rest of the Ivy package is on ESPNU, it seems unlikely that Y/H is "TBD" because they are considering shifting it to Classic instead. If those were the two choices, it would make much more sense to leave it on ESPNU and build stability into the package. ESPN Classic is a possibility, but not an obvious choice, IMO. (FWIW, Classic would be demotion, as it's in far fewer homes than ESPNU.)

That leaves the scenario that they're deciding between ESPNU and ESPN2. Again, if there was zero chance of the game making ESPN2, they would have simply released the schedule with six games already announced for ESPNU. My take is that there's a chance that The Game will be on ESPN2, but will more likely wind up on ESPNU, and that the decision will be driven by things like Ivy title implications, what other games Bristol has the rights to broadcast, which time slots those other schools are willing to fit into, how those other schools are faring in 2018 (for example, Auburn vs. creampuff is attractive if Auburn is in the CFP picture, not so much if Auburn is 5-5), etc.

Time will tell but ESPNU is probably the front-runner, with ESPN2 possible, Classic a longshot, and News very unlikely.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:14:25 06/05/18 Tue

"I'm sure CBS is aware they could get a larger audience of Auburn fans watching an intrasquad scrimmage than an the Army/Navy game."

Probably not the case (although a real Auburn-Alabama game would differ).

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-sports/army-navy-game/2017/12/12/army-navy-tv-ratings-hit-23-year-high/

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:18 06/05/18 Tue

...and if Yale/Harvard -- or any other rivalry game -- had a day with no other college games whatsoever, a late afternoon start time, and throw in a blizzard to boot, I think the rating would please all constituents.

Not trying to discount the spectacle that is A/N. It's appointment viewing for me every year. In fact, the only non-Ivy game that I go out of my way to sit and watch start to finish.

The point is, network and time slot matter. The very same sporting event will get vastly-larger rating on ESPN or one of the over-the-air networks than it will get on ESPN2, NBCSN, FS1, etc. And an event on ESPN2 would out-rate FS1. Households receiving the channel, pay tier, channel location on the dial, etc.

Put Y/H on CBS at 3pm on Dec. 11 with no competition and it'll do just fine. Auburn scrimmage on ESPN Classic, not so much. Everything's relative.

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:50:21 06/02/18 Sat

Although it might not reflect the viewing habits of the posters on this board, I infer that softball is almost universally more popular than lacrosse.

For many years, ESPN2 would air the national championship game in Division I men's lacrosse at 11:00 AM, requiring the inconvenient early start in order to make way for an early round women's softball game at 1:00 PM. Invariably, the lacrosse game would run until 1:15 or so, causing ESPN2 to switch to softball the moment the final horn sounded in lacrosse, with no scenes of jubilant players or interviews with coaches.

Clearly, lacrosse has a long way to go to catch up to softball.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: What a nice story

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:55 06/05/18 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:58:47 06/05/18 Tue

I agree. Lacrosse has to reach a point where normal people want to play, and it’s no longer limited to having only affluent participants...

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Tell that to University Albany team

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:09 06/05/18 Tue

Lacrosse is as down home and nasty as hockey or football... white Collar game, If that’s what you think . You better take another look at the game, I suggest cleaning your glasses.
When has college Softball ever drawn 25,000 to 30,000 people in the stands. Baseball is boring , as boring can be. Take a kid to a game, see which one he or she would go back too. It would be Lacrosse,

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Tell that to University Albany team

Author:
Uptown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:04:09 06/05/18 Tue

That's because kids love watching other kids poke each other with sticks.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Tell that to University Albany team

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:55:47 06/05/18 Tue

While lacrosse may be a prep school sport in some regions, here in Upstate New York it's still fairly middle class with power house programs like West Genesee in Syracuse and Victor in Rochester. Yale's Ben Reeves came out of Class D Pal-Mac which is located between Rochester and Syracuse.
Albany is fortunate to get some of those native Indian players who are talented at both box and field lacrosse. Tough kids who can really shoot the ball.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Lacrosse is growing in Texas, California, Colorado, Florida etc.

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:08:05 06/05/18 Tue

Young football players are starting to play lacrosse all over the country. Bigger, faster, tougher. A generation from now, lacrosse will be a national sport played by the same young men who now play high school football.

The athleticism and skills of today’s great lacrosse teams (such as Yale) will continue to grow in the years ahead.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Lacrosse is growing in Texas, California, Colorado, Florida etc.

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:10 06/06/18 Wed

According to the lacrosse participation survey, in 2016 more US highschools supported bowling (2708) than they did lacrosse (2572)

https://www.uslacrosse.org/about-us-lacrosse/participation-survey

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Lacrosse is growing in Texas, California, Colorado, Florida etc.

Author:
Diogenes (Right to Bear Arms)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:34:29 06/06/18 Wed

Correct. And in 2016, there were 825,000 lacrosse players in the U.S., up from 275,000 high school players in 2011. Don’t know the current numbers. The sport is growing very rapidly.

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:03 06/06/18 Wed

As too lacrosse growing in Texas, I dont see it. Its still only offered by private schools and a very small percent of high end public schools.

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:44:00 06/06/18 Wed

I don't know if this is how school districts think through the decision whether to sponsor lacrosse, but it is a deceptively expensive sport, especially for boys.

Of course, everybody can see the stick, the helmet and pads. But what might get missed is that the type of stick skills which the sport requires are almost always learned over a long period of practice. Of course, all sports require tremendous practice but it seems that, more so in lacrosse than other sports, if a kid does not have a stick in his or her hands by the end of elementary school, it's hard to catch up to the kids who do.

What that means for parents is buying your child (but especially your son) an expensive set of equipment early in elementary school and then having that child grow out of the helmet and pads in fairly short order. Compare to basketball, soccer, softball etc. The only sports which have the same recurring equipment expenses are football and ice hockey.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:04:52 06/06/18 Wed

Lacrosse is being played at tons of public schools in Texas. It's spreading like wild fire and has become a recruiting hotbed for college lacrosse

[> [> [> Subject: Lacrosse maybe expensive

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:33:04 06/06/18 Wed

but nothing compares to ice hockey especially in youth where every year of so you need a new or good used pair of skates costing hundreds. The new sticks are extremely expensive as well. My son played travel hockey for 8 yrs and back then the travel tuition was in the 1000-1500 range every year. Throw camps and gas money and hotel rooms and food. I bet I spent close to 40 grand

[> [> [> [> Subject: I bet skiing takes the dollar prize

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:40:37 06/06/18 Wed

Not that that bothers those wealthy Dartmouth types in CT who live across the street from Holtsie.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.