VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:24:10 06/01/18 Fri
In reply to: voy vey 's message, "Re: Ivy TV schedule released" on 19:37:48 06/01/18 Fri

It would be great for Yale and Harvard football to get that kind of national exposure. The Game was lost on CNBC, whose normal Saturday afternoon programming was infomercials. Hopefully the novelty of playing at Fenway will be enough to get the game on ESPN 2.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:03:07 06/02/18 Sat

I'm sure they are aware they could get a larger audience of Auburn fans watching an intrasquad scrimmage than an Ivy League game.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:35 06/03/18 Sun

There's a reason the TV listings still list the Yale-Harvard game channel as "TBA". They aren't considering between choosing ESPNU and ESPN+. I think if the Yale-Harvard game has Ivy title implications it will be on ESPN2. Remember in 2014 ESPN chose Yale-Harvard as their College Gameday broadcast in such a scenario. With th game already sold out I sure the league will be pushing for ESPN2, as will ESPN/Yale sponsor Under Armour.

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:46 06/05/18 Tue

I'm sure CBS is aware they could get a larger audience of Auburn fans watching an intrasquad scrimmage than an the Army/Navy game. Yet, they broadcast the latter and not the former.

Ultimately, this much is known: there will be six Ivy football games on "linear" (a.k.a., cable) ESPN channels. Five on Friday nights on ESPNU. One on a Saturday, with kickoff time and network TBD. The other 22 Ivy games will be streamed on ESPN+.

The only options for the "TBD" broadcast are:
ESPN (no way)
ESPN2 (possibility)
ESPNU (possibility)
ESPN Classic (possibility)
ESPNews (generally only broadcasts live events if they run over their broadcast window or otherwise get postponed)
ESPN Deportes (Spanish-language channel only)

Since the rest of the Ivy package is on ESPNU, it seems unlikely that Y/H is "TBD" because they are considering shifting it to Classic instead. If those were the two choices, it would make much more sense to leave it on ESPNU and build stability into the package. ESPN Classic is a possibility, but not an obvious choice, IMO. (FWIW, Classic would be demotion, as it's in far fewer homes than ESPNU.)

That leaves the scenario that they're deciding between ESPNU and ESPN2. Again, if there was zero chance of the game making ESPN2, they would have simply released the schedule with six games already announced for ESPNU. My take is that there's a chance that The Game will be on ESPN2, but will more likely wind up on ESPNU, and that the decision will be driven by things like Ivy title implications, what other games Bristol has the rights to broadcast, which time slots those other schools are willing to fit into, how those other schools are faring in 2018 (for example, Auburn vs. creampuff is attractive if Auburn is in the CFP picture, not so much if Auburn is 5-5), etc.

Time will tell but ESPNU is probably the front-runner, with ESPN2 possible, Classic a longshot, and News very unlikely.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:14:25 06/05/18 Tue

"I'm sure CBS is aware they could get a larger audience of Auburn fans watching an intrasquad scrimmage than an the Army/Navy game."

Probably not the case (although a real Auburn-Alabama game would differ).

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-sports/army-navy-game/2017/12/12/army-navy-tv-ratings-hit-23-year-high/

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy TV schedule released

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:18 06/05/18 Tue

...and if Yale/Harvard -- or any other rivalry game -- had a day with no other college games whatsoever, a late afternoon start time, and throw in a blizzard to boot, I think the rating would please all constituents.

Not trying to discount the spectacle that is A/N. It's appointment viewing for me every year. In fact, the only non-Ivy game that I go out of my way to sit and watch start to finish.

The point is, network and time slot matter. The very same sporting event will get vastly-larger rating on ESPN or one of the over-the-air networks than it will get on ESPN2, NBCSN, FS1, etc. And an event on ESPN2 would out-rate FS1. Households receiving the channel, pay tier, channel location on the dial, etc.

Put Y/H on CBS at 3pm on Dec. 11 with no competition and it'll do just fine. Auburn scrimmage on ESPN Classic, not so much. Everything's relative.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.