VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: JIm Garrett begs differ

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:22:25 06/07/18 Thu
In reply to: Michael Valmas 's message, "Re: Brown won 0 championships this year" on 11:34:09 06/07/18 Thu

He called his team "drug-addicted losers."

:)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: JIm Garrett begs differ

Author:
Michael Valmas (Joyful)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:46:15 06/07/18 Thu

And having Jim Garrett call you a loser is about as ringing an endorsement as being disinvited from a White House gathering by a rather nefarious Penn grad! By the way, no lifetime losers, to my knowledge, emerged from Columbia's football program in the 1980s- regardless of what the scoreboard told us back then.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: I'm not going to throw stones here, but..

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:57:11 06/07/18 Thu

There was at least one loser among that group.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: who was it

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:42 06/07/18 Thu

I hope it's not Jake LOL

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: who was it

Author:
Michael Valmas (Enjoying the moment)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:05:27 06/08/18 Fri

Jake's a happy man, prepare to take as much credit for CU's football renaissance as the coaches- which is to say a whole heck of a lot!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: JIm Garrett begs differ

Author:
SpuytenDuyvil76 (Nuance)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:38 06/12/18 Tue

Garrett said his team "were like", not that they were drug addicted losers. Perhaps a fine distinction lost in the mists of time. Garrett probably wouldn't have worked out, given the state of the the CU admin at the time, and his personality, but it would have been interesting to see how well he would have recruited, and if his sons could've played, but they wound up at Princeton the next season.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: If you were there when he said it, I believe you

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:26:16 06/12/18 Tue

But here's the NYT's story:

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/09/22/sports/columbia-s-coach-furious-after-rout.html

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If you were there when he said it, I believe you

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:52:28 06/12/18 Tue

Garrett maintains that he was misquoted by The New York Times (fake news!). In the very nice tribute which Jake Novak posted on February 12 upon Garrett's passing, Jake says that the actual statement was "they played like drug-addicted losers."

http://culions.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2018-03-09T07:03:00-08:00&max-results=5&start=5&by-date=false

I have read elsewhere that Garrett's actual quote was even more benign, that he said his players were "addicted to losing." To me, that is a harsh but accurate way of describing a program which has lost for so long that it has no sense of how to close out a victory, even when leading 17-0 at halftime, as Columbia was against Harvard.

I'm inclined to given Garrett the benefit of the doubt for the simple reason that it makes sense for a frustrated coach to say that his players are addicted to losing more so than they played like drug-addicted losers.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: If you were there when he said it, I believe you

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:17:39 06/12/18 Tue

I believe that the "addicted to losing" quote is from people attempting to explain what Garrett meant, rather than what he actually said.

If Garrett claims he actually said that the team was "like drug-addicted losers," and that the "like" part was dropped in translation by the Times (and others), I am willing to believe him.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: glad you agree An Observer

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:00 06/12/18 Tue

but I thought it was Fake News from the failing NY Times, wow I can't believe it that you are actually Trump Hannity Limbaugh guy, wonders will never cease

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: In defense of the NYT

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:47:02 06/13/18 Wed

Pretty much everyone--if not indeed everyone--reported the quote without the word "like." So as was the case with Bill Cosby, it's Garrett's word against dozens.

What I think happened is that Garrett was so angry and worked up when talking with the press after the game that he either meant/tried to say the word "like," but it did not come out audibly for the press to pick up. Hence, it was not reported...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: In defense of the NYT

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:14 06/13/18 Wed

How many reporters do you think were there to cover the 1985 season-opening game between Columbia and Harvard? Let's put it this way. They probably had left over sandwiches after the game.

I'll bet that when you read "pretty much everyone" reporting what Garrett said, it's other people reporting what the New York Times printed he said.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.