VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: On to the Henley Royal Regatta

Author:
cadyellow
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:35:21 06/08/18 Fri
In reply to: sparman 's message, "Re: On to the Henley Royal Regatta" on 20:18:41 06/07/18 Thu

I would ditto the same question...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: On to the Henley Royal Regatta

Author:
Percy Houghton (Columbia LW at Henley)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:08:20 06/08/18 Fri

From LW Coach Parker (and disseminated with his permission):

As the team has improved, so has our recruiting. The freshmen stroke seat of the varsity eight competed in 2016 at the Last Chance Regatta in an attempt to qualify for the Olympics. Although he didn’t qualify, his participation places him in a category of athletes that are ineligible to race in the Temple Challenge Cup.

We applied for a waiver for him, however, it was not approved. We decided then that we would break up the crew into two fours so that everyone could race. It was not an easy decision, but one that was made with the foremost thought of making sure our championship athletes who had earned the privilege to represent Columbia at Henley would have the opportunity.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: On to the Henley Royal Regatta

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:19:15 06/08/18 Fri

Thanks, Percy H, for sharing the explanation. I was wondering about the same question as the previous posters.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible, a tryout for an Olympic team would see to me to be a "benign" exercise and not cause for knocking out an Amercan college athlete. I don't know what the Temple Cup eligibility criteria are. Am I missing a material dimension of this kind of proceeding?

Also, anyone know who adjudicates the waiver requests, what past waiver norms look like, and whether there's any home cooking behind the waiver denial to keep non-U.K. competitors down?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.