VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Coaching Question

Author:
Old LIon (Bum Phillips)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:14:51 06/08/18 Fri
In reply to: IvyFootballFan 's message, "Coaching Question" on 19:32:43 06/07/18 Thu

The immortal Bum Phillips once said of the great Don Shula,"he can take his'n and beat your'n, and take your'n and beat his'n". I have always thought that this is a pretty good measuring stick. So take any one of these programs and figure out who could step into another school and improve the results. Based upon the miracle of 218th street, which might have been the greatest coaching turnaround in Ivy history, it is tough to match any other coach against Al Bagnoli. So after Al, I would probably go with Teevens, followed by Murphy and then Reno. As far as the rest, I would go with Surace, Priore, Estes and Archer.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Question

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:37:18 06/08/18 Fri

Actually, Bum first said that about Bear Bryant. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/harvey/article/Legendary-coach-Phillips-didn-t-let-football-4908937.php

But no matter.

IMO, while the concept is interesting, I don't agree it means much in our lttle pool where recruiting plays such a large role it can overshadow true coaching in controlling outcomes. For example, I don't believe Bagnoli could have taken old Columbia teams and defeated old Murphy teams; likewise we have heard (interminably) how Teevens was unduly hamstrung by admissions restrictions.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.