VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Coaching Question

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:00:11 06/14/18 Thu
In reply to: Buck 's message, "Re: Coaching Question" on 15:57:19 06/12/18 Tue

Very interesting, and I agree that all Ivy coaches have their virtues, with Archer in kind of a special category due to lack of institutional support and other negative factors that are not of his making. If there is any fair way to rank the eight guys, I would like to put a thumb on the scale for Tony Reno, in that most posters do not realize just how bad the situation was in New Haven when he took over. Someone once said that, after the first 25 years of Ivy play, it would strike anyone as strange that two schools as different as Yale and Dartmouth were able to dominate the conference in its last gasp of D-1 glory. Since that time, Dartmouth may have had its problems, but Yale's decline was precipitous. Going from winning the League almost on an every other year basis to once a decade is truly astonishing, and could only have been produced by out and out hostility to the program at the highest levels (think Giamatti and Levin). Tony picked up all the disparate pieces, and has brought a proud program back, all the way. He deserves a lot of credit. By saying this, I realize I am putting Al Bagnoli on a pedestal, because he performed an even greater miracle!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Question

Author:
remember it well (to Memphis)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:04:02 06/14/18 Thu

Agree with the dramatic decline and the reasons behind it. Also agree that it appears under Reno there is reason for optimism that Yale football may be on the way back to it's winning tradition.

In retrospect, (and I have said this before) given the lack of support for the program displayed by the senior admins, credit should be given to Jack Siedlecki who in three years turned a 1-9 season to a 9-1 record and a Ivy co-championship. He led Yale to another co-championship in 2006.

Reno has shown he knows how to beat Harvard which is what Jack didn't do often enough, despite a 70-49 record before he was pushed out. Who knows if Jack could have done even better with stronger admin support.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Question

Author:
CU_88
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:55 06/14/18 Thu

I wonder how much institutional issues have lead to the decline of Brown in the last few years.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.