VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yale Bowl Field

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:23:30 06/15/18 Fri

Picture taken today. Field is looking much better. Notice it’s not striped. That means they’re holding summer camps on the practice field this year to give the field a chance to recover.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlNetter/status/1007591605958832128/photo/1

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Yale Bowl Field

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:51:31 06/16/18 Sat

gentlemen; A beautiful sight this saturday day morning and a true monument to ancient eight football.i for one prefer the grass. it seems to me in a world of change some treasures should not be disturbed.it is hard to imagine the grounds keepers cannot keep this field in pristine condition given there is only five contests in a given year.the outfields in the house that ruth built and new Yankee stadium seem to have found a solution. many memories in the bowl over the last four score.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:05:01 06/16/18 Sat

"it is hard to imagine the grounds keepers cannot keep this field in pristine condition"

You don't have to imagine. Fact is, they can't. Just look at pictures from last year's Game or talk to visiting players. The time has come.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale Bowl Field

Author:
Turk
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:51 06/16/18 Sat

Amen

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:42:12 06/16/18 Sat

They can as long as it’s not being practiced on and played on 6 Days a week. See how they treat the sacred grounds, this year.?

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:22:55 06/16/18 Sat

You all don’t have a clue. Camps are for most part held on practice field. And we do not practice in the bowl six days a week. Atleast we didn’t. Your love of nostalgia is putting our men at a disadvantage with stats and higher chance of injuries when you can not keep your footing. Compare our run game home vs away. I’m betting both pass and run are significantly less. That would be something to analyze.

Just stop saying we are getting turf if we aren’t. I’ve heard this for years.

And why is it ok for turf to be on all the other fields?. So they can be exposed to “”unhealthy “ turf but the rest of us cant?

[> [> Subject: To Bill you are in fact Wrong.

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:53 06/16/18 Sat

The Yale Football team does utilize the Bowl for practices. Especially when it was a home game. So keep on saying it doesn’t happen , keep your head in the Yale Bowl ground.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: To Bill you are in fact Wrong.

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:09:06 06/16/18 Sat

Not six days a week. Only during week before home games. I know this as fact.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bill your misinformed

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:36:37 06/17/18 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bill you (are not) misinformed

Author:
Slinger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:52:44 06/20/18 Wed

Bill is more accurate than you are. The team typically only holds walkthroughs (or runs throughs on Fridays) the week of home games to acclimate to the atrocious conditions. Other than preseason scrimmages, the team never practices in pads in the Yale Bowl

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: oh yes they do Slinger

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:00:21 06/23/18 Sat

That’s not true. Fake news Slinger. Fake nees

[> [> [> Subject: Re: To Bill you are in fact Wrong.

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:19:33 06/18/18 Mon

Of course they use the field to practice before home games. How else could one simulate playing in a sandbox/mud pit? If they practiced on field turf they would be no more ready for the game than the visitors.

I guess the alternatives would be to put turf in the bowl or put in a new grass/mud field for practice.

[> [> Subject: Please re read what I posted

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:08 06/19/18 Tue

I did not say we never practiced in the bowl. I corrected the poster on saying we practice 6 days a week in the bowl, run camps there etc... Making it seem that the bowl is only in poor shape because it is over utilized. When in fact, we ONLY practice in the bowl leading up to home games. (which is a must!) Therefore, not six days a week. I just reconfirmed this with a recent grad.

So please don't blame the bowl field condition on practices and camp. The surface is subpar.

[> [> [> Subject: Ok 4 to 5 Days. Still to much for the pitch

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:47 06/19/18 Tue

I saw the team practice at the Bowl more than ever last year. Especially the last four games.
A lot of work has to be done in order the Bowl to accept synthetic field. All those rubber pellets will come to the surface every time it rains. Platform will have to be placed in order to shed water . A long with some sort of pumpi to dispense the water away from the field.
Keep the turf, have the crew go to Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park to get some schooling on how to take care of the field.

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:39:48 06/16/18 Sat

gentlemen; to my recollection mr frank, mr mc gill, mr pagliaro,mr. juaron,mr diana,mr. carr,mr.mcleod andmr varga to name a few had no problem navigating the grass field at the bowl.

[> [> Subject: hard to pick a best from that group

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:41:38 06/16/18 Sat

some outstanding RB's mentioned and hard to compare different eras

Diana and Juaron measure up to any on that list, all great running backs

[> Subject: Varga

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:58 06/16/18 Sat

I never saw Frank or Mcgill, but imho Varga was the best of the rest. I’ll never forget the display he put on against Army. It was worthy of the proud 100 years of history of the Yale Bowl that was celebrated that day. I wish someone would post the full broadcast of that game on YouTube for posterity.

[> [> Subject: That’s a tough one, But.

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:22:40 06/18/18 Mon

Dr. Diana, he was a bull . Legs like tree trunks. Jauron was magic, always held my breath. He only got the ball maybe 15 to 18 times a game. Imagine what he could have done with 5 to 10 more carries a game.?
Pagliaro, was a beast. I saw him break opponents noses , or black eyes. He would bring his knees up so high. Bash them.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: That’s a tough one, But.

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:40:03 06/19/18 Tue

Dartmouth coach details why playing on ersatz grass is smarter on BGA today.

[> [> [> [> Subject: My understanding is...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:27 06/20/18 Wed

My understanding is that the safety debate is still ongoing regarding good grass v. good turf.

I'm sure good grass is safer than bad turf, and that the converse is equally true is well.

But neither has a lock on safety. Dartmouth lost a potential starter to a knee injury (presumably) on the turf this past spring.

My further understanding is that coaches prefer turf because of the predictability. Game plans tend to go out the window when you're playing on a muddy grass field in the rain.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth tackling is ongoing, but not LIVE

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:51 06/21/18 Thu

Dartmouth does practice tackling, just against pads and the robotic MVP. Dartmouth's Defense over the last few years has been exceptional, and Buddy gives credit to practicing form tackling more than ever before. I know that the group is fresh and healthy on Saturdays because they're not beating up on each other during the week. But another thing that I've heard players talk about is that they are hungry to hit somebody (anybody)and you can notice how they fly to the ball and swarm to gang tackle.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Less Practice, Better Outcomes

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:36 06/20/18 Wed

In the video, Teevens explains that, since Dartmouth cut out all live tackling in practice, the Big Green have experienced a dramatic decrease in missed tackles and now lead the Ivies in tackling.

I find this fascinating. If true -- and I have no reason to doubt him -- this would make tackling one of the very few activities in life where the less you practice doing something, the better you become at doing it. "Very few activities"? Tackling must be the ONLY activity where this is true.

I understand that, with less tackling in practice, you will have fewer injuries and probably be fresher on game day, but to actually experience far fewer missed tackles is an extreme outcome. It's almost hard to believe but, if true, Dartmouth's approach to tackling will soon be widespread. What coach would forego both fewer injuries and better outcomes on game day? Talk about a win-win scenario.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: He's said this several times

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:15 06/20/18 Wed

I have no reason to doubt him regarding the missed tackles. But he implemented the no-tackling policy (2010) more or less the same year when the first of his improved recruiting groups became upperclassmen.

So its hard to compare apples to apples when he claims that backing off tackling in practice led to a decrease in missed tackles. Teevens' first cluster of recruits during his second stint didn't pan out for various reasons... The 2010 guys (i.e., Class of 2011) guys onward were just better than their predecessors.

I fully agree that eliminating tackling in practices tends to reduce injuries. That's just common sense...

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: He's said this several times

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:54:45 06/20/18 Wed

GG, you point out an important and interesting exogenous variable, that the implementation of the no-tackling policy took place at the low water mark of the quality of Dartmouth recruits. Since the policy was put into place, the players have been getting better.

But the improvement in tackling Teevens asserts has been much more dramatic. Sure, I can accept that today's players are better than they were in 2010. What difference in missed tackles would we expect from that? Maybe 10%?

Don't forget: If the tacklers are better now, so are the ballcarriers and blockers. So it should be mostly a wash from a broad-based rising tide in recruiting. And yet Teevens is reporting a dramatic improvement in tackling, from one of the worst in the League to the best.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Should also consider..

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:54 06/20/18 Wed

That 2010 was the year that Dartmouth "downgraded" its out-of-conference schedule.

We went from playing UNH, Colgate, and Holy Cross every year during an era where all three were very strong programs.

Now, the OOC games are more manageable. I'm guessing that it's easier to tackle the Stetson and Georgetown running backs than it was to tackle Jordan Scott (RIP).

And I'm guessing that the tackling numbers reflect all games, not just conference games.

I'm not saying that Teevens is wrong when he suggests that no live tackling translated into less missed tackles. But I think that there's more to the story than he's letting on...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Should also consider..

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:24:00 06/20/18 Wed

Good point. Better than your initial point, actually. Thanks for your thoughts.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I actually agree

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:33 06/21/18 Thu

The schedule changes should have been my first thought. Although increased talent plays a role as well.

In any event, the end results are all that matters. If Teevens wants to attribute a decrease in missed tackles to a change in shampoo in the Floren showers, all power to him.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: two years ago

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:08:45 06/21/18 Thu

2016, Dartmouth beat what was considered a very tough out of conference schedule (Holy Cross, Towson and UNH who once again made the FCS playoffs), but could only muster one Ivy win.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Aberration

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:08 06/21/18 Thu

S**t happened that year.

I think most agree that 2016 was the exception, not the norm, to recent Dartmouth performances.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Aberration

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:54 06/21/18 Thu

I noted that year stating that a perceived tough OCC schedule may not be as tough or maybe the Ivy league can compete at the other levels, even for a team that only one one Ivy game

[> [> [> [> Subject: I thought he said

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:10 06/20/18 Wed

they are doing more tacking in practice (dummies and MVP)just not tackling each other

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You are correct

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:10:05 06/21/18 Thu

Dartmouth does tackle more than ever before, and each defender gets more reps than if they went Live.

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:21 06/20/18 Wed

Holtsie is correct. They are practicing tackling more than ever, just not tackling human beings. Much more work on technique.

But GoGreen is also correct. More talent equals better tackling even with less live practice.

[> [> Subject: yes

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:14 06/20/18 Wed

couple of years now, Dartmouth football play engineering student with a few others designed it. In second or third version getting pretty good does like 4.8 forty

They are developing one for youth football because the MVP is equivalent of 6' 190lb player ( I think)
http://www.mobilevirtualplayer.com/

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:53:13 06/20/18 Wed

Has not Dartmouth been using those new remote controlled tackling dummies?

[> [> Subject: Hey Slinger

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:36:32 06/20/18 Wed

Are you a qb? Rawlins?

That sounds like the same walk through schedule from a few years back.

[> Subject: Re: Yale Bowl Field - Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:09:16 07/02/18 Mon

The Yale Bowl is a beautiful historic stadium so why would you want Turf and increase the frequency of injuries to your players? All the NFL teams practice on grass and there is no doubt players incur less injuries on natural grass. Cornell All-Ivy running back Chris Walker last year may have ended his career on the Princeton turf and if the game was on grass no way that injury would have happened. I know Cornell has turf because we play so many sports in Schoellkopf but Yale doesn't need turf and they should just improve the drainage on their grass field. If not look for more injuries when you get the artificial stuff.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale Bowl Field - Of COURSE YOU WANT US TO Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:16:31 07/03/18 Tue

Ask any player, from any team, if they feel safer on turf or mud/sand? Have you ever played in the bowl? Have you ever played football? Of course our competitors want us to keep the inferior surface.

[> [> [> Subject: Of course he played

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:06:29 07/03/18 Tue

https://i.amz.mshcdn.com/FRolj2-pzepsO2QtcrGf_ZUkG9Q=/http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F02%2Ffootball-12.jpg

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Now that’s funny

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:14 07/03/18 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re:Yale Bowl - Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:55:41 07/03/18 Tue

Guys I played four years on the old Astro Turf and yes natural grass is probably easier on the body. Just ask most NFL players who prefer natural grass. If Yale installs Field Turf it will definitely benefit the other Ivies playing at the Bowl who already have turf. I love the Yale Bowl as it's an historic beautiful stadium, but I have no idea of the current condition of your grass field, but that's an easy fix with better sod and drainage. If Yale installs artificial turf there is no doubt injuries on your team will go up. That's all I am saying in my post. Since you have the best RB in the league with Zane Dudek he's probably going to get more banged up on the turf than grass. It's just reality as most of the other Ivies can't keep their RB's healthy for 10 games.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re:Yale Bowl - Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:17 07/03/18 Tue

With moderate rain fall the rubber pellets will be floating and redistribute.Yale will have to elevate the playing field and have to install a pump station. To get rid of the water. Keep the grass. Sprint is absolutely correct.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re:Yale Bowl - Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Football fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:23 07/03/18 Tue

If you don’t think that field last year was dangerous for the players, you were not at the Bowl.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re:Yale Bowl - Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:42:47 07/04/18 Wed

Yes I was , matter of fact I’ve been going to Yale Football games for over 50 years. I have never seen the field so spent in all my years.
Alas I have never seen it be used as much , as it has in past 2 years .Yale Bowl was not to be utilized in such a manner. Nor was it supposed to be used at night.
The pitch is beautiful, it needs to mend and rest between contests. It needs to be cared for. What happens to you if you don’t rest and take care of yourself. You get soar and tired etc.
Sure rip out the Old Sod , from The Yale Bowl, Put in fake grass, But beware of what you ask for. The problems that will follow will be many and frequent . Heed my words .
Take care of what we have , for it is indeed a treasure. Most people come to the Yale Bowl and marvel at its wonder they wish they’re school had what Yale has. The people that don’t are soulless and sad.
Those really special people who complain about the amenities. Here’s a sound good advise to you. Watch the game on TV.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Over 50 yrs, Now I understand.......

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:02:01 07/04/18 Wed

We can go back and forth. I appreciate the support over the last 50 years. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine Let's agree to disagree. With that said, the players despise the grass/ mud/ sand. Its been this way over the last several years I personally know this.

We can't stop practicing on the grass leading up tp home games, or we forfeit our advantage to acclimate to the atrocious conditions and timing.

You won't hear from me again on this matter. Debating with you is getting nowhere.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Over 50 yrs, Now I understand.......

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:56:10 07/04/18 Wed

I've been watching Yale Football for over 40 years and I also prefer grass to Field Turf; with one caveat: the field must never be allowed to degenerate into the condition we saw last season. Not only was it an embarrassment reflected on national TV, it was also unsafe for the players.

If there is a will to adequately maintain a grass field it can easily be done. I question the will.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: A modest first step

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:40:31 07/04/18 Wed

It's been established that areas of heaviest use would benefit from artificial surface.

So, install turf in the visitor's men's rooms before Harvard weekend.

Several problems solved.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: they need to get

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:32 07/04/18 Wed

grass practice fields, Dartmouth has them. PSU's Beaver Stadium is immaculate but then again they probably spend more on field maintenance then Yale does on football

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale Bowl Field - Keep the grass!!!

Author:
Football Fanstic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:09:57 07/05/18 Thu

Ok, I give in. Grass is safer. Than either put in a grass practice field only for football, hire the guys from Penn Stste or Iowa State where the turf is fantastic or put in field turf. Those living in Yale football from 50 years ago are nostalgic and I get that, but field turf did not exist then. The majority of high school players, D1 college and NFL players play on field turf today. They can’t all be wrong. Turf is faster, and drains better. The mud/sand mix on the current field is dangerous for knees and ankles.

We fix the grass or go to field turf. No one seems to complain that they put in turf for lacrosse, baseball or soccer. I understand the players are much bigger in football, but the current field is not safe. Period.

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:19:44 07/04/18 Wed

others may know better than I on this. my understanding was that the grass has always been difficult in the Bowl because the surface is now at or below surrounding water table. this renders it difficult to maintain in good condition.

solutions are either to keep the grass long, as was done back in Carm's tenure, or if it's short any rain during the season renders the surface a mud bog because the soil can't absorb the water sufficiently. perhaps the sandiness is a tactic by the grounds staff to try to address the wetness.

as I said, I may be wrong here, and for full disclosure I am absolutely without any horticultural knowledge or ability.

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:09:19 07/05/18 Thu

Yes, for us older folk there is the nostalgia factor in our desire to preserve the grass field. However, safety of the players should be the overriding basis for choosing between turf an grass. On this point I must ask is the "jury still out?" (per link below). Some argue there are more ankle related injuries on grass while others say the there are more ACL injuries on turf. Most scary of course is the opinion that turf carries cancer risks.
My cynicism leads me to believe the ultimate decision on this will be based less on safety pros and cons and mostly on cost factors ie cheapest to maintain.

https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/09/08/grass-vs-turf-which-is-safer/

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.