VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: That’s a tough one, But.

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:22:40 06/18/18 Mon
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "Varga" on 10:53:58 06/16/18 Sat

Dr. Diana, he was a bull . Legs like tree trunks. Jauron was magic, always held my breath. He only got the ball maybe 15 to 18 times a game. Imagine what he could have done with 5 to 10 more carries a game.?
Pagliaro, was a beast. I saw him break opponents noses , or black eyes. He would bring his knees up so high. Bash them.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: That’s a tough one, But.

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:40:03 06/19/18 Tue

Dartmouth coach details why playing on ersatz grass is smarter on BGA today.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: My understanding is...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:27 06/20/18 Wed

My understanding is that the safety debate is still ongoing regarding good grass v. good turf.

I'm sure good grass is safer than bad turf, and that the converse is equally true is well.

But neither has a lock on safety. Dartmouth lost a potential starter to a knee injury (presumably) on the turf this past spring.

My further understanding is that coaches prefer turf because of the predictability. Game plans tend to go out the window when you're playing on a muddy grass field in the rain.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth tackling is ongoing, but not LIVE

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:51 06/21/18 Thu

Dartmouth does practice tackling, just against pads and the robotic MVP. Dartmouth's Defense over the last few years has been exceptional, and Buddy gives credit to practicing form tackling more than ever before. I know that the group is fresh and healthy on Saturdays because they're not beating up on each other during the week. But another thing that I've heard players talk about is that they are hungry to hit somebody (anybody)and you can notice how they fly to the ball and swarm to gang tackle.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Less Practice, Better Outcomes

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:36 06/20/18 Wed

In the video, Teevens explains that, since Dartmouth cut out all live tackling in practice, the Big Green have experienced a dramatic decrease in missed tackles and now lead the Ivies in tackling.

I find this fascinating. If true -- and I have no reason to doubt him -- this would make tackling one of the very few activities in life where the less you practice doing something, the better you become at doing it. "Very few activities"? Tackling must be the ONLY activity where this is true.

I understand that, with less tackling in practice, you will have fewer injuries and probably be fresher on game day, but to actually experience far fewer missed tackles is an extreme outcome. It's almost hard to believe but, if true, Dartmouth's approach to tackling will soon be widespread. What coach would forego both fewer injuries and better outcomes on game day? Talk about a win-win scenario.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: He's said this several times

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:15 06/20/18 Wed

I have no reason to doubt him regarding the missed tackles. But he implemented the no-tackling policy (2010) more or less the same year when the first of his improved recruiting groups became upperclassmen.

So its hard to compare apples to apples when he claims that backing off tackling in practice led to a decrease in missed tackles. Teevens' first cluster of recruits during his second stint didn't pan out for various reasons... The 2010 guys (i.e., Class of 2011) guys onward were just better than their predecessors.

I fully agree that eliminating tackling in practices tends to reduce injuries. That's just common sense...

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: He's said this several times

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:54:45 06/20/18 Wed

GG, you point out an important and interesting exogenous variable, that the implementation of the no-tackling policy took place at the low water mark of the quality of Dartmouth recruits. Since the policy was put into place, the players have been getting better.

But the improvement in tackling Teevens asserts has been much more dramatic. Sure, I can accept that today's players are better than they were in 2010. What difference in missed tackles would we expect from that? Maybe 10%?

Don't forget: If the tacklers are better now, so are the ballcarriers and blockers. So it should be mostly a wash from a broad-based rising tide in recruiting. And yet Teevens is reporting a dramatic improvement in tackling, from one of the worst in the League to the best.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Should also consider..

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:54 06/20/18 Wed

That 2010 was the year that Dartmouth "downgraded" its out-of-conference schedule.

We went from playing UNH, Colgate, and Holy Cross every year during an era where all three were very strong programs.

Now, the OOC games are more manageable. I'm guessing that it's easier to tackle the Stetson and Georgetown running backs than it was to tackle Jordan Scott (RIP).

And I'm guessing that the tackling numbers reflect all games, not just conference games.

I'm not saying that Teevens is wrong when he suggests that no live tackling translated into less missed tackles. But I think that there's more to the story than he's letting on...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Should also consider..

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:24:00 06/20/18 Wed

Good point. Better than your initial point, actually. Thanks for your thoughts.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I actually agree

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:33 06/21/18 Thu

The schedule changes should have been my first thought. Although increased talent plays a role as well.

In any event, the end results are all that matters. If Teevens wants to attribute a decrease in missed tackles to a change in shampoo in the Floren showers, all power to him.

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: two years ago

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:08:45 06/21/18 Thu

2016, Dartmouth beat what was considered a very tough out of conference schedule (Holy Cross, Towson and UNH who once again made the FCS playoffs), but could only muster one Ivy win.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Aberration

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:08 06/21/18 Thu

S**t happened that year.

I think most agree that 2016 was the exception, not the norm, to recent Dartmouth performances.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Aberration

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:54 06/21/18 Thu

I noted that year stating that a perceived tough OCC schedule may not be as tough or maybe the Ivy league can compete at the other levels, even for a team that only one one Ivy game

[> [> [> [> Subject: I thought he said

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:10 06/20/18 Wed

they are doing more tacking in practice (dummies and MVP)just not tackling each other

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You are correct

Author:
GreenIvy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:10:05 06/21/18 Thu

Dartmouth does tackle more than ever before, and each defender gets more reps than if they went Live.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.