VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ivy League Admissions

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:12:50 07/05/18 Thu
In reply to: cadyellow 's message, "Ivy League Admissions" on 23:59:40 07/04/18 Wed

Wait - there's a problem with Harvard having a zero percent admission rate?

On a more serious note, there are so many factors at play. For example, in addition to those mentioned, the availability of free (i.e., no loans) financial aid to broader range also encourages more kids to apply who would not have been interested before. More foreign kids applying than back in the day because the US college imprimatur has value. And so on and so forth.

But it's not an ivy phenomenon, it's college-wide. Look at admit rates at all competitive schools.

I have no idea how this will be resolved in my lifetime. In the meantime, think about the increased staffing necessary simply to read the increased applications.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: The Admission Rate for Recruited Athletes is not 4%

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:44:15 07/05/18 Thu

Nor is it 4% for the children of significant wealth, high government officials, prominent media types or very successful alumni.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Admission Rate for Recruited Athletes is not 4%

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:06 07/05/18 Thu

Back in the day kids may have applied to just one or two "reach" schools. Today they may apply to a half dozen or more by doing little more than clicking a button and putting in a credit card. I know of kids who applied to Harvard who had absolutely no realistic shot at getting in but wondered if maybe something original on their app would catch someone's eye. I rather suspect the Ivy schools enjoy seeing their acceptance rates go down.

[> [> [> Subject: True

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:19:11 07/05/18 Thu

But I submit the admit rate for recruited athletes can be a little misleading, in that it should be calculated based on the pool of the pool of athletes who desire to become recruited or who are first considered buy coaches - comparable to the pool of general applicants. I don't know the percentage of athletes who initially express interest in attending, or who draw attention from coaches before admissibility under AI parameters is known, who do in fact become recruited.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: True

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:36 07/05/18 Thu

In addition to athletic recruits, my uninformed belief is that various academic departments also have a “list” or “slots”. The point being that any list of the admitted contains a significant number of people who are accorded preferential admissions treatment for a wide variety of reasons. Thus, the 4%, 7%, 10% numbers are not applicable to a large number of preferred admittees.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: True

Author:
Washed Up
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:03 07/13/18 Fri

The Ivy League uses a band system for the teams. Essentially, there are four bands, band 1 being the kids that are the largest stretch to get admitted on their own to the university, band 4 being kids that could likely be admitted without help of athletics. Each team is allocated a certain number of roster spots available to band 1 and band 2 players, with the remainder made up of band 3 and band 4 athletes.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.