VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: The Admission Rate for Recruited Athletes is not 4%

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:00:06 07/05/18 Thu
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "The Admission Rate for Recruited Athletes is not 4%" on 08:44:15 07/05/18 Thu

Back in the day kids may have applied to just one or two "reach" schools. Today they may apply to a half dozen or more by doing little more than clicking a button and putting in a credit card. I know of kids who applied to Harvard who had absolutely no realistic shot at getting in but wondered if maybe something original on their app would catch someone's eye. I rather suspect the Ivy schools enjoy seeing their acceptance rates go down.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: True

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:19:11 07/05/18 Thu

But I submit the admit rate for recruited athletes can be a little misleading, in that it should be calculated based on the pool of the pool of athletes who desire to become recruited or who are first considered buy coaches - comparable to the pool of general applicants. I don't know the percentage of athletes who initially express interest in attending, or who draw attention from coaches before admissibility under AI parameters is known, who do in fact become recruited.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: True

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:36 07/05/18 Thu

In addition to athletic recruits, my uninformed belief is that various academic departments also have a “list” or “slots”. The point being that any list of the admitted contains a significant number of people who are accorded preferential admissions treatment for a wide variety of reasons. Thus, the 4%, 7%, 10% numbers are not applicable to a large number of preferred admittees.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: True

Author:
Washed Up
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:03 07/13/18 Fri

The Ivy League uses a band system for the teams. Essentially, there are four bands, band 1 being the kids that are the largest stretch to get admitted on their own to the university, band 4 being kids that could likely be admitted without help of athletics. Each team is allocated a certain number of roster spots available to band 1 and band 2 players, with the remainder made up of band 3 and band 4 athletes.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.