VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Best position units in Ivy ?

Author:
Bulldogfan'72
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:52:09 07/11/18 Wed

Preseason outlook at the best position units in the Ivy

Offense:

QB: Princeton/Yale
RB: Yale
WR: Columbia
TE: Harvard
OL: Harvard

Defense:

LB: Dartmouth
DL: Yale/Princeton
DB: Columbia/Dartmouth

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Best position units in Ivy ?

Author:
Kennebunk
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:27 07/11/18 Wed

Solid picks. Couple comments:
- I think Penn RB, Brooks, is the best in the league, and is poised to have a breakout season now that he is not sharing carries. I know Yale has two studs but I would slide Penn into the best RB unit discussion if Brooks stays healthy

- If DT Perry is healthy for Dartmouth, they may have the best DL unit, returning 3-4 lineman in addition to him who got a lot of playing time last year

- May also put Penn LB's right up there with Dartmouth

- Princeton WR's are the best in the league IMHO

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: I do love

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:22 07/11/18 Wed

Jesper the friendly ghost, after all he is my pick for Offensive POY
That being said Col and Dartmouth have pretty darn good WR's

Dartmouth's OL returns 2 all ivies and a fifth yr so they have to be in consideration as well

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I do love

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:38:58 07/11/18 Wed

Not saying that its a bad pick, but who is Harvard returning at OL besides Larry Allen? Harvard usually has good OL guys, but nobody is coming to mind...

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I do love

Author:
Football Fanatic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:41:39 07/12/18 Thu

Don’t forget about Jake Allen

[> [> Subject: Re: Best position units in Ivy ?

Author:
Roar12
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:08 07/14/18 Sat

What about the Columbia receivers? Wainwright was first team and Ronald Smith would have been too without the injury. Their pass game was great and helped them go 8-2

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:28:16 07/11/18 Wed

PR//WR- Jesper and Carlson

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:25:22 07/11/18 Wed

I'm going to make the argument that Princeton's linebackers are going to be the best in the Ivy League. Fossati and Wagner were tied for 2nd in tackles in the league when they went down last year. Fossati was going to be all-ivy and Wagner was right behind him. The 3rd best linebacker Johnson ended up being a first team all Ivy. All of them are back and Fossati is a monster.

[> [> Subject: But is he

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:38:37 07/11/18 Wed

the real Eyetalian Stallion, for all D's RB's I hope not

Interesting Def scenarios Fossati, Holuba, Perry, "Tractor" Traynor among others, the league is full of really good players. I am sure I have missed half the league. The Ivies are back. I think the quality of Ivy Football is as good as it has ever been. Now all you need is a good QB and a little bit of luck and you could "go all the way". I am real curious as to "Gotta" Lovett's impact this year, I think it is going to be the X factor

[> [> [> Subject: Re: But is he

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:26:42 07/12/18 Thu

We've been seeing this for a while. Ivy teams are beating teams that they haven't in a long time (Yale over Army, Penn over Nova, Dartmouth over UNH).

Dave Shula told the papers he doubts he'd be able to play today in the Ivy. He had a pretty good career in his day.

Jason Garrett said that the Ivy talent today is far superior now than when he was playing.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: But is he

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:40 07/12/18 Thu

No question that the talent in the Ivy League has dramatically improved. Which leads me to ask a question of the Dartmouth guys.

I can't remember the last time that a Dartmouth recruiting class was one of the top two or three in the Ivies. Yet, somehow, the coaching staff is able to develop many of them into all-ivy performers. So how do they do it??

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: But is he

Author:
Washed Up
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:26:32 07/12/18 Thu

Dartmouth has been juicing up there in Hanover for a while now. Easy to develop less than talented players when they get pumped full of testosterone twice a day.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Wrong. It’s all the good looking Ivy women in Hanover.

Author:
Diogenes (Washed Up)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:11:10 07/12/18 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wrong. It’s all the good looking Ivy women in Hanover.

Author:
Diogenes (Washed Up)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:13:40 07/12/18 Thu

“Those”. Haste makes waste etc.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wrong. It’s all the good looking Ivy women in Hanover.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:50:51 07/12/18 Thu

If anyone would know about Hanover women being all-ivy performers, it's you.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wrong. It’s all the good looking Ivy women in Hanover.

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:46 07/12/18 Thu

Not a totally untrue statement, although women were first admitted several years after my graduation.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Reasons behind Dartmouth’s success...

Author:
The Color of Money
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:30:14 07/12/18 Thu

Four words: Don Dobes. Keith Clark.

[> [> [> Subject: rankings

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:57:10 07/12/18 Thu

really are a totally arbitrary and subjective, I am very skeptical of them

[> [> [> [> Subject: for example

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:19:19 07/12/18 Thu

Dartmouth has a recruit who was ranked with 3 touts at CB but has been switched to safety and has yet to have a significant impact on the field. Meanwhile Isiah Swann had only 2 touts and was 2nd team All Ivy as a soph

Author:
MoreIsMore
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:13:53 07/12/18 Thu

Have to agree that Pton's linebacking core deserves to be in the conversation. Fossati the Eyetalian stallion is the real deal, not to mention "Psycho T" Tom Johnson. Have heard rumblings that Tom's younger brother Jimmy John came on strong in the spring as well.

Fun Fact - James "Jimmy John" Johnson once held a summer job at beloved sandwich shop Jimmy John's.

[> [> Subject: question

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:14:34 07/12/18 Thu

How good is Pton DL, because good d line is an LB's best friend

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:11:34 07/12/18 Thu

Well they have two studs coming backon the DL; Strain and Holuba. Both were out last year due to injuries. As a junior, Holuba finished second in the voting for Ivy defensive player of the year.
Due to an enormous number of injuries along the defensive line last year, the Tigers now have extensive depth, not to mention outstanding linemen in their freshman class. The problem for the Tigers as I see it, is that other teams have improved as well. Won't know much until they get on the field.

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:35 07/12/18 Thu

"I can't remember the last time that a Dartmouth recruiting class was one of the top two or three in the Ivies. Yet, somehow, the coaching staff is able to develop many of them into all-ivy performers. So how do they do it?"

Among other things it's a reminder that recruiting rankings at the FCS level are totally useless.

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:27:36 07/12/18 Thu

Rankings of recruits by 247 and Rivals are subject to some skepticism, as various posters have pointed out. However, the star rankings are not, as suggested by Ivy Patriot, in any way differentiated between FBS and FCS prospects, hence all the excitement about the Princeton QB prospect coming in with a 4* ranking. Dartmouth must have a knack for finding diamonds in the rough, as it is incontrovertible that their recruits have not, over recent years, snagged the number of stars that we see at Penn, Harvard, Yale (and lately Columbia).

Posters are correct that Ivy talent has gone up after a long period of decline when the League was demoted to I-AA, and Presidents were almost without exception not supportive. However, if one goes back to the first 25 years when the League was considered at least a Mid-Major, some of the talent shown on specific teams was really exceptional. Yale's class of recruits in 1965(Cozza's first)
Would have, I am pretty sure, been ranked in the top 25 nationally that year, what with the top QB prospect in Ohio (Dowling), and the top tight end and top over-all athletic prospect in the nation, plus a few others at the all-state level. Of course, that was back in the stone age when most of the allegedly big time schools did not have recruiting down to a science, and half the major conferences practiced de jure racial discrimination (and the other half were pretty much de facto).

[> [> [> Subject: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Jim Nance, Floyd Little

Author:
Diogenes (Memphis Bill)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:39:39 07/12/18 Thu

Victims of racial discrimination?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Best position units in Ivy ?

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:27:56 07/12/18 Thu

The Syracuse situation proves my point--a relatively small upstate NY private school could, in the 50's and 60's, compete on the national stage because it was relatively color-blind in its approach to recruiting ballplayers. That Syracuse was able to beat Texas in the 1960 Cotton Bowl is evidence that superstars like Ernie Davis, who could not have played for the Longhorns, made a huge difference that segregated powerhouses could not equal. Btw, there was a biopic on Ernie Davis, I think it was called "The Express," where the Cotton Bowl game was depicted in great detail, with Texas ballplayers free in their use of racial slurs before coming out on the short end of the score. The Texas coach, Darrell Royal, looked back on that game with great shame....

[> [> [> [> Subject: Jim Parker was my hero

Author:
Diogenes (Memphis Bill)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:23:05 07/12/18 Thu

In my view, Jim Parker was the best lineman in football history. Parker was black, played for Woody Hayes in the mid-fifties and for the Colts from the late 50’s to the late 60’s. He was not only a unanimous All-American, he got votes for the Heisman and was All-Pro. My coaches in high school and college showed us 16 millimeter films of Jim Parker.

Segregation died in football and basketball long before it died elsewhere. I had black teammates and played against many blacks in junior high, high school and college. Our 1965 undefeated Lambert Trophy team had black players and one of them, Edgar Holley, was a first team All-Ivy linebacker just before Calvin Hill arrived. Young athletes today can’t even imagine how intensely we followed the Bill Russell/Wilt Chamberlin duels or how the great USF and Cincinnati basketball teams captured our imaginations.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jim Parker was my hero

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:20:08 07/12/18 Thu

It was said of Parker that he never left the practice field if he did not think he had improved from the day before.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jim Parker was my hero

Author:
Michael Valmas (Reverential)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:36:01 07/13/18 Fri

Very well said by you and Diogenes- thank you, both!

[> [> Subject: Edgar Holley

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:16:16 07/12/18 Thu

is a name I haven't heard in a long long time, good thing I am old enough to remember him

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Edgar Holley

Author:
Diogenes (holtsledge)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:40 07/13/18 Fri

Edgar picked up an MBA from Chicago after he graduated. He was the real deal on and off the field.

Author:
Solo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:46:54 07/13/18 Fri

If anyone in this blog believes Columbia doesn't have the best WR group in the Ivies then they are severely mistaken. Smith and Wainwright highlight a group whose position depth is unmatched. Game footage shows that, as a whole, their route running is unparalleled. Coach Gilchrist (WR coach at Columbia) has done an incredible job with this group since switching over to coaching receivers from previously coaching the running backs.

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:21:35 07/13/18 Fri

Just curious. They are great no doubt. But what makes you believe that they are better than Horsted and Carlson?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Best position units in Ivy ?

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:30:00 07/13/18 Fri

Just to add. Horsted was first team all Ivy. Carlson and slot receiver Tiger Bech were both second team all Ivy. All 3 are back this year. This is a pretty good receiving core, don't you think??

[> [> Subject: agreed

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:59:35 07/13/18 Fri

I love the friendly ghost

but I also love Dartmouth's crew as well I rate Princeton one (any team that has a WR named after the mascot has to get bonus points), maybe Columbia second with Dartmouth nipping at their heels

But the biggest question for all 3 is who is throwing them the ball, new QB's at all three places even though Lovett is back he isn't the passer Kanoff was. Since we have FL transfer coming in I have to give D the initial edge

Keep hope alive
nothing better than silly internet speculation 2 months before the season starts

[> [> [> Subject: Re: agreed

Author:
Jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:34:03 07/13/18 Fri

You are correct. I remember the impact Hagforn made as a freshman. And Harvard’s Shelton-Mosley is no slouch either. Yale had talented ends as well.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: agreed

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:14 07/13/18 Fri

According to Bob Surace, Lovett set the Princeton completion percentage record for a spring last year. Go back and listen to his media day comments from last August. He anticipated a big passing year for the QB before he was lost for the season. It sounds as if it would be a mistake to underestimate Lovett's ability to throw the ball.

[> [> Subject: I forgot

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:02:13 07/13/18 Fri

to mention that Dartmouth has the best WR coach. I am sure we all agree with that. I hope it helps in recruiting this yr and in the yrs to come.

[> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth has 2 freshman qb’s

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:19:02 07/13/18 Fri

One is the redshirt Florida transfer and the other is from Redondo Beach, California at the south end of Santa Monica Bay. Good luck to both of them, academically and athletically, over the next four years.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth has 2 freshman qb’s

Author:
ivyjoe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:19 07/15/18 Sun

What aspiring QB or WR who wanted to combines a superlative education with their dreams or aspirations wouldn't consider the coaching staff of Buddy Teevens and David Shula. Buddy has recruited 5 QBs that have started in the NFL and, well, we know the story of David Shula.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: just curious

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:51:05 07/15/18 Sun

who are they other than Fiedler, Kemp?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: just curious

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:46:26 07/15/18 Sun

Kemp and Teevens were teammates one year. If Teevens "recruited" Kemp, it was as a host on prospects' weekend.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: LOL ok

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:54:52 07/15/18 Sun

so who are the other 4, Heneghan hasn't made 49's team yet

maybe some of his Stamford or Florida guys?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm sure it is...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:47:56 07/15/18 Sun

Should also mention that anyone who wants to read about Teevens and Kemp as students should read Ben Hart's "Poisoned Ivy."

https://www.amazon.com/Poisoned-Ivy-Benjamin-Hart/dp/0812829905

Background: Hart (son of longtime Dartmouth professor Jeff Hart) was one of the founders of "The Dartmouth Review." He wrote a book about establishing the paper. Quite a few people he mentions are names I'd expect people to recognize (even if Teevens and Kemp aren't among them).

Teevens himself didn't think much of the book. He referred it to me as "Pointless Ivy" when I told him I read it during my Dartmouth days. :)

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: actually I have read it

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:46 07/16/18 Mon

I also took a class from his father who's nickname was "Easy" Jeff. It was a great class and even though he graded kindly we all still learned a lot.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: actually I have read it

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:42 07/16/18 Mon

I took Professor Hart's class as well. I enjoyed it. And I found him to be a heck of a nice guy.

I assume that you're aware that he's a Democrat now?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-republicans-are-now-the-stupid-party

https://web.archive.org/web/20080207165639/http://www.vnews.com/02012008/4601389.htm

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: actually I have read it

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:14 07/17/18 Tue

That's the only way to survive on a college campus today

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Definitely Ivy-type schools

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:43 07/18/18 Wed

I'd imagine that Republicans at our schools today would have similar problems as those in DC.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/03/05/why-its-hard-for-conservatives-to-date-in-dc-right-now/

[> Subject: just curious

Author:
Ivyjoe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:19:43 07/15/18 Sun

AS HC Buddy also recruited:
Mike Buck U Maine
Shaun King Tulane
Trent Edwards Stanford

[> [> Subject: And the fifth?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:32 07/16/18 Mon

As Holtsledge mentioned, Fiedler is on the list.

Who is number five?

[> Subject: And the fifth

Author:
Ivyjoe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:59 07/17/18 Tue

Buddy probably would like to "take the fifth" or drink a 5th on this one as the one who got away.

When Buddy was HC at Tulane he was recruiting a prospect from a football family and got a verbal commitment. The lad changed his mind thinking Tennessee would be better for his future. He was so apolejetic that he drove many miles from his home to thank Buddy for his consideration.

The long term result was the Manning Passing Academy where Buddy has been a Director ever since.

[> [> Subject: Re: And the fifth

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:56 07/17/18 Tue

Hadn't heard that story. Teevens also said that he lost a commitment from Reggie Bush at Stanford as well. Can't help but wonder what might have been...

But to me, "recruiting" means that you actually landed the guy.

:)

[> [> [> Subject: Re: And the fifth

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:09:59 07/17/18 Tue

Maybe losing Reggie Bush turned out to be a blessing in disguise, unless Buddy also had the NFL "Get Out of Jail" card in his back pocket.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Did Buddy also have a verbal commit...

Author:
The Color of Money
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:47:16 07/19/18 Thu

...from Colin Kaepernick as well??

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: A verbal commit to do what?

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:17 07/19/18 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Play FB at...

Author:
The Color of Money
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:17:25 07/19/18 Thu

Dartmouth...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Play FB at...

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:21:15 07/20/18 Fri

According to a “Fall 2012” issue of the University of Nevada College of Business Magazine, Kaepernick was “recruited hard by Dartmouth, Harvard and Yale to play baseball, but wanted to play Division 1 football”.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.