VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Jim Nance, Floyd Little

Author:
Diogenes (Memphis Bill)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:39:39 07/12/18 Thu
In reply to: Memphis Bill 's message, "Re: Best position units in Ivy ?" on 13:27:36 07/12/18 Thu

Victims of racial discrimination?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Best position units in Ivy ?

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:27:56 07/12/18 Thu

The Syracuse situation proves my point--a relatively small upstate NY private school could, in the 50's and 60's, compete on the national stage because it was relatively color-blind in its approach to recruiting ballplayers. That Syracuse was able to beat Texas in the 1960 Cotton Bowl is evidence that superstars like Ernie Davis, who could not have played for the Longhorns, made a huge difference that segregated powerhouses could not equal. Btw, there was a biopic on Ernie Davis, I think it was called "The Express," where the Cotton Bowl game was depicted in great detail, with Texas ballplayers free in their use of racial slurs before coming out on the short end of the score. The Texas coach, Darrell Royal, looked back on that game with great shame....

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Jim Parker was my hero

Author:
Diogenes (Memphis Bill)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:23:05 07/12/18 Thu

In my view, Jim Parker was the best lineman in football history. Parker was black, played for Woody Hayes in the mid-fifties and for the Colts from the late 50’s to the late 60’s. He was not only a unanimous All-American, he got votes for the Heisman and was All-Pro. My coaches in high school and college showed us 16 millimeter films of Jim Parker.

Segregation died in football and basketball long before it died elsewhere. I had black teammates and played against many blacks in junior high, high school and college. Our 1965 undefeated Lambert Trophy team had black players and one of them, Edgar Holley, was a first team All-Ivy linebacker just before Calvin Hill arrived. Young athletes today can’t even imagine how intensely we followed the Bill Russell/Wilt Chamberlin duels or how the great USF and Cincinnati basketball teams captured our imaginations.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jim Parker was my hero

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:20:08 07/12/18 Thu

It was said of Parker that he never left the practice field if he did not think he had improved from the day before.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jim Parker was my hero

Author:
Michael Valmas (Reverential)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:36:01 07/13/18 Fri

Very well said by you and Diogenes- thank you, both!

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.