VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Oh Shit.....

Author:
Acob (Valmas comment)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:03:56 07/21/18 Sat
In reply to: joiseyfan 's message, "Oh Shit....." on 17:25:24 07/20/18 Fri

What is the meaning of his accusatory comments. Penn is a school of highest quality. Incanting this incident suggests anything to the contrary is
absurd. All Ivy schools also have athlete lists. Not everyone believes this forum is appropriate as a bully pulpit for political criticism.. There are contrary views about multiple non athletic issues but this is a place dedicated to Ivy sport..

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Oh Shit.....

Author:
HDallmar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:31:29 07/21/18 Sat

The risk here is that others at Penn knew about this deception—assistant basketball coaches and people in the Deoartment of Athletics and Office of Admission..

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
WarriorII
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:56:14 07/21/18 Sat

Charles Kushner gave $3 million to Harvard and Jared was admitted despite being a mediocre high school student. What is the difference except in degree and perhaps no charitable deduction?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Oh Shit.....

Author:
Asiasunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:10:06 07/21/18 Sat

There’s a difference. Every school has development cases. Giving money to a school is different than paying an employee to gain an advantage.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Oh Shit.....

Author:
Warrior II
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:14 07/21/18 Sat

In both cases the payment is made to secure an admissions advantage. paying the coach instead of the university is of course a distinction but a distinction without a real difference . There are other differences including taxable income to Jerome and no charitable deduction but from the standpoint of the big picture I see little difference

[> [> [> Subject: What Price of Admission For Unqualified Applicants?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:24:58 07/22/18 Sun

Warrior II, I presume that you were just rounding to a whole number but, since many readers here are fans of precision, let's quote the exact figure: Charles Kushner donated $2.5 million to bribe Harvard into accepting Jared as a student.

And now that you've brought up the subject, doesn't it surprise you that the amount is relatively modest?

Look at it this way: If your child has a perfect SAT score, is class valedictorian, nationally ranked by ESPN in both football and basketball, and cured cancer in his spare time but you made an income disqualifying you from financial aid, it would cost you more than a quarter-million dollars to send him to an Ivy League school.

But if your kid is thoroughly unqualified to attend a school with an admission rate in the single digits (11% at Harvard when Kushner bought his way in), it only costs you 10x that quarter-million?

I'm sure that the smart people who run our alma maters have accountants to figure out exactly out much to charge when selling a seat to a dumb but rich applicant. How can it be that the underground clandestine market-clearing price is only 10x the publicly quoted list price? Doesn't it seem more likely that $10-20 million would be required?

A friend of mine who is comfortable but not truly rich told me that he put out some feelers to see what kind of donation might be helpful to get some extra loving from the admissions department at Yale. He told me that he was given the impression it would a much bigger number than he could afford which, to me, is certainly above $2.5 million.

C'mon, Harvard, you're selling yourself short.

Author:
Michael Valmas (Comfortable)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:08 07/21/18 Sat

There has more than a plentiful amount of political criticism presented within the last month on this forum; though this gentleman/lady, Acob, has a valid point that Ivy sport needs to be the point of emphasis, herein. Mindful of that, here is some HOT OFF THE PRESSES Ivy men's basketball information for those interested: Lukas Meisner, a would-be senior starting forward at Columbia, has just signed a professional contract to play overseas- forsaking his final year of NCAA eligibility. That brings the number to FOUR student-athletes who've now left the Columbia men's basketball program in the past twelve months for reasons unrelated to their having graduated, academic shortcomings and/or injury. My earlier reference to Penn was offered tongue in cheek to what, at this point, are just plain allegations- this one is a bit different.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.