VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: A Crime?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:07:02 07/23/18 Mon
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Re: A Crime?" on 13:56:18 07/23/18 Mon

He was part of the Class of 19 official release which came a few months after Allen was fired and Donahue hired.. I was wrong, but he was not on the roster once it was updated in the fall.

MO ESFORMES

5-10 / 185
Miami Beach, Fla. / RASG Hebrew Academy
High School: Letterwinner and captain of his basketball team at RASG Hebrew Academy … Head coach was Scott Berman … Team MVP each of his last three seasons … Penn Book Award recipient … National Honor Society member.
Personal: Son of Sherri and Phillip Esformes … Enrolled in the Wharton School of Business.

If I remember correctly he averaged close to 20 points/game. Of course this was the Hebrew Academy and not Mater Dei High. His senior year tape (on the net) shows a player who in every way shape and form had the look of an AI booster. Of course now we know there were other variables involved.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Just out of curiosity....

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:15 07/23/18 Mon

Were there any other Allen recruits who appeared to be AI boosters upon admission, and never saw the court for Penn?

If so, don't be surprised if Penn's outside counsel takes a look at them....

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Just out of curiosity....

Author:
Asiasunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:34:13 07/23/18 Mon

There are recruits all over the Ivy League who have the look of players that will never see the court. When you have 20+ kids coded as basketball recruits at our schools, you know some are very unlikely to contribute.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'll take that as a "yes"

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:41:58 07/23/18 Mon

And I presume that Allen's recruits--particularly the ones with wealthy parents--are going to be looked at by Penn's investigators in the upcoming weeks.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: A Crime?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:53:19 07/23/18 Mon

Asia, good job finding the original description of Mo Esformes' basketball history on Penn's press release. If what is written there is true, that puts a slightly positive spin on an otherwise very incriminating set of circumstances. As I said, "slightly."

What Penn wrote does not appear to comport with the video of Esformes which I posted elsewhere in this thread. I wonder if some of it is exaggerated or made up.

Recall that Harvard also announced the recruitment and enrollment of Camden McRae in its formal press release in August 2012. So guys who are not legitimate basketball players can be described in glowing terms.

But that's all a sidebar discussion. I thank you for finding and posting that language about Mo's basketball qualifications.

The main question remains, "Was a crime committed?"

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: A Crime?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:28 07/23/18 Mon

I think there are many cases where reasonable people can assume a crime was committed short of an indictment being handed down. Even in the case you cited those reasonable people can be wrong. All apparent first degree murders aren't criminal. There are justifiable homicides.

So was this act a crime? Maybe. Or perhaps it was simply the inappropriate rewarding of someone in exchange for extending a favor. That doesn't make it any less disgusting, but the elements of a crime as defined by a statute may not be present to warrant an indictment or to constitute a crime under that statute. Conversely, there may be absolutely airtight evidence that exists and either Pa or Fl prosecutors may conclude otherwise.

I think normally you'd need some evidence that an offer of money was made in exchange for a specific act. That may or may not be the case here. But in answer to your specific question, it is certainly possible that a crime was committed.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: A Crime?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:28:13 07/23/18 Mon

All right, I'll leave this line of question there.

Thanks very much for digging up the press release announcing Mo as part of the recruited basketball class. At a minimum, that is very interesting, seeing how virtually anybody can be described in terms which make them sound like a legitimate basketball prospect.

Now that I know this can be done, I wish the following press release had been issued when I enrolled in college:

An Observer. . . four-year spectator and enthusiastic supporter of his high school basketball team. . . once attended an AAU game when it took place immediately prior to a school dance in the gymnasium. . . can post up when covered by a shorter opponent. . .can go to his left or right, politically. . . also played on school chess team

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.