VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Randy Moss, Tony Rice, Lorenzo White, Zena Edosomwan

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:49:13 08/03/18 Fri
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "I confess I haven't been paying attention to ND's admits lately" on 06:30:20 08/03/18 Fri

That is a very interesting article about Randy Moss. He was West Virginia's boys' basketball player of the year his junior and senior seasons, not to mention state champion in the 100- and 200-meter dashes. Zowee. I guess if a guy has the ability to run away from the best cover corners in the NFL, he has the ability to run away from 17-year-old West Virginia kids.

I remember reading an article about a top running back recruit who dreamed of playing for Notre Dame, but was turned down for academic reasons and ended up at Michigan State. I think that it might have been Lorenzo White, but I'm not sure.

I think that the Irish might have loosened up their academic standards under lobbying/begging from Holtz. Recall that the option quarterback who ran the offense for the 1988 national championship team was Tony Rice, a Prop 48 recruit who was not allowed to play or practice with the team his freshman year because his SAT score was 690, just under the NCAA minimum 700 (on a scale of 1600).

In all the several interviews I've seen of Tony Rice, he's always been very thoughtful and articulate, clearly a bright guy. He might be a smart guy who just didn't test well. Rice is reminiscent of Zena Edosomwan, who also ended being a guy that any college would be happy to have on campus, but didn't test well. Zena of course did not clear the minimum Ivy AI score and was probably not admissible at most Ivies. He needed a PG year to become eligible at Harvard.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Randy Moss, Tony Rice, Lorenzo White, Zena Edosomwan

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:20:08 08/04/18 Sat

Here's one of those coincidences that give one confidence that there is order in the universe. ESPN just ran its "30 For 30" feature story titled "Rand University" about Randy Moss.

In the ESPN piece, Lou Holtz and Bobby Bowden are both interviewed. The two of them make it clear that Randy Moss was rejected by Notre Dame late in the admissions process because he was involved in a serious fight which left a fellow high school student badly injured.

Yet the Notre Dame admissions office steadfastly maintained that it was Moss' academic record which was the issue, even though Moss met NCAA eligibility requirements and had been given contingent approval when first recruited.

This just goes to show that at least some universities and their admissions departments have some narrative that they think helps their image or their brand. They tout that narrative, even when it's not necessary because turning down an applicant who beat the living crap out of a fellow student would seem to be justified as well.

Given this desire to support flattering narratives, it will be fascinating to see how Ohio State handles the Meyer situation. This is the same school where, when confronted with the Jim Tressel incident, university president Gordon Gee said, "Fire him?! I just hope he doesn't fire me." A weak attempt a humor, no doubt, but not funny because it strikes too close to the truth.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Randy Moss, Tony Rice, Lorenzo White, Zena Edosomwan

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:09:00 08/05/18 Sun

Paterno dared Spanier to fire him at Penn State. Ohio State, Penn State . . . same warped plot, different zip code: Upside-down org chart. Always ends the same way.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.