VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yeah, I can get on board with that

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:46:13 09/12/18 Wed
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "The Draw of City Living for Young People" on 17:22:25 09/12/18 Wed

While I think #12 is nothing to apologize for, I can agree with a study on long-term strategic planning on how Dartmouth can compete for the next generation of students against our urban counterparts (namely, Columbia and Penn--I think going up against H & Y is too tall an order).

I do not anticipate cities regressing as nice places to live anytime soon. I happen to live in a major city, and there is major development as far as the eye can see...

What type of recommendations that study would produce... I'm not sure. But I think that anyone suggesting that Dartmouth ease up on the "political correctness" and "breast-beating" should be dismissed as a simpleton.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Draw of City Living for Young People

Author:
Percy Haughton (Columbia)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:21:59 09/12/18 Wed

Well, Observer, you certain seem to have it all down pat.

You might as well argue that Harvard’s popularity is due to its name and not the school’s merits. Its giving rate is also relatively modest. Columbia’s giving rate is higher in recent classes, after the reemphasis on undergraduate education

Since this year’s ranking does not include admissions stats and certainly cannot measure the appeal of New York, I would say you are likely wrong

The is nothing eternal about HYP. Columbia and Chicago should be given credit for their rise.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Draw of City Living for Young People

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:41 09/13/18 Thu

AO is a Yale fan. You're thinking of Observer, a different person, neither one to be confused with observer or observer15 (and anyone else I missed).

Unless they also habituate lesbian bars.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Draw of City Living for Young People

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:37:45 09/13/18 Thu

Percy, when you say that I am "likely wrong," to which of my thesis arguments are you speaking?

Do you think that I am wrong with my broad thesis that plummeting crime rates in American cities over the past three decades have made urban living and urban universities much more popular than they were in the 1980s?

Or do you think that I am wrong with my narrow thesis that Columbia University has grown tremendously in popularity over the past three decades, as reflected in (relative to its peers) more applications, a lower admissions rate and a higher U.S. News ranking *AND* that this state of affairs was driven primarily, if not exclusively, by the increase in young people desiring to live in Manhattan?

There was a whole generation of high school students in the 1990s and 2000s who thought that they would be hanging out with Ross and Joey, maybe hooking up with Rachel or Monica, even though in reality they rarely left the campus in Morningside Heights.

By the way, we could have a very substantive discussion about how much of Harvard's popularity is due to its merits, which are considerable, relative to its name, which is also considerable, if not more so.

There is at least one dimension along which I agree with you: "There is nothing eternal about HYP."

I think that if you polled a group of experts on higher education and asked them to name the most important or most influential American university, a plurality would name Stanford. That is an amazing change which would have been hard to foresee in the 1970s.

In less than half a century, Stanford has gone from one of the several universities in the rung below HYP to surpassing all three. In even less time going forward, the opinion of laymen will catch up to that opinion of experts.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.