VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: ‘Nuff Said McGreevey nailed it.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:33:33 09/12/18 Wed
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "‘Nuff Said McGreevey nailed it." on 14:07:39 09/12/18 Wed

There are lots of great schools in rural locations besides Dartmouth and Cornell. I remember as a freshman student at Cornell, one of the hockey coaches (I didn't play hockey) took a bunch of athletes water skiing on Cayuga Lake. It was a beautiful day and a lot of fun. I remember those Canadian hockey players loved to water ski and barefoot. You can't do that kind of stuff at Penn, Harvard, or Columbia. However with that being said my criticism of Cornell in recent years is they're trying to get rid of many of the fun things to do on campus like athletics, Greek life, rock concerts, on-campus movie theater.........the list goes on and on. Martha Pollack just wants Cornell to become another MIT with our students heads buried in their lap tops. Her next target will probably be our famous hot trucks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: I agree that D & Cornell have their pluses

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:06:21 09/13/18 Thu

I don't dispute that there are great reasons for going to suburban-to-rural schools like Dartmouth and Cornell. Lord knows I loved it in Hanover and very much enjoy all my reunion visits there.

The point is that in the 1980s, prospective students could visit Dartmouth and Cornell and think that they could go off campus without fear of being mugged. In those days, there were plenty of crack houses and red light districts near Penn and Columbia. Not hard to imagine parents pushing their kids (especially their daughters) to pick Dartmouth over Columbia or Penn in those days for that reason.

But those days are gone. Dartmouth (and Cornell) can't really pull the "it's safer here" card anymore against our urban competition. That, and as An Observer astutely notes, kids today think that cities are cool (and I can't blame them).

So while Dartmouth and Cornell are still terrific places to attend college, it's not as easy to attract the top caliber talent as it was 30 years ago.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.