VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: ‘Nuff Said McGreevey nailed it.

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:42:05 09/13/18 Thu
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "‘Nuff Said McGreevey nailed it." on 14:07:39 09/12/18 Wed

I think this thread is very relevant to how our Ivies can compete with each other and on a national basis for talented student athletes and talented students in general.

There are increasing number of Ivy students, including student athletes, who place a priority to attending a university with strong ties to entrepreneurism, high tech and social innovation. In turn, a disproportionate number of these same students want to eventually work in a dynamic urban setting with a strong startup community culture. That said, a more rural or suburban campus can easily compete in this changing environment as long as they nurture their connections to the hot high tech urban markets.

Two Ivy related illustrations of this are Dartmouth Tuck's Silicon Valley Bootcamp program in San Francisco and Cornell Tech program in New York City. These options have been extremely well received by Dartmouth and Cornell students. While these programs are oriented to graduate students, I believe each of our universities should further strengthen their undergraduate ties to the major tech hotbeds.

For example, many of our Ivy football coaches already place a priority on building their network of summer internships with highly coveted high tech, consulting, private equity and venture capital jobs using the university's extensive alumni base in these fields. In turn, this has become an important component of their recruiting process.

In summary, I feel our rural and suburban campus settings offer much less of a competitive disadvantage if the university administrators, faculty and alumni are creatively engaged in designing and nurturing off campus opportunities and connections for our undergraduate students in these coveted urban markets and industries. You simply need to go to the university career placement offices to learn what undergraduate students are seeking and demanding.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: ‘Nuff Said McGreevey nailed it.

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:07:23 09/13/18 Thu

I believe the Tuck Silicon Valley program is open to Tuck students (i.e., grad students), thus no particular reason to attend Dartmouth as an undergrad.

I think Tuck runs another bootcamp for undergrads but it is open to students of other schools, so there is no particular reason to attend Dartmouth to get the benefit of that program, either.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.