VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
ivy guy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:03:27 09/15/18 Sat

With the benefit a long nap and a few adult beverages ….
Cal Poly was a solid team, Big, deep, and well coached. Their two losses were to Top Ten FCS teams.
Tale of Two Halfs—Brown started strong on offense and defense. Cal just wore them down in the 2nd half with an All American candidate RB and big O-line.
THE GOOD
QB McGovern can be something special—poised, confident, made some great plays, made some bad throws too. 405 yards of offense. With more game experience he could lead Brown for several years
TE Casey—exceptional receiver, big, fast
Kicker Brady—looks solid, simple formula—score points
OC Decker—great first half, creative play-calling, positive change from the last few seasons
Offense between the 20’s—moved the ball well, got the ball to playmakers, Casey a weapon across the middle
THE BAD
O-Line—pass blocking in first half was good. Run blocking was not.
D-Line—started well, but was getting pushed around in the 2nd half
LBs and Secondary—uneven. Good on run support, missed some coverages and tackles in the 2nd.
Red Zone offense- had to settle for FGs too often. Weak running game hurts.
THE UGLY
Losing Montano really hurt. Losing an All-Ivy lineman is tough. Losing his leadership and calling plays at the line was missed badly.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:45:47 09/15/18 Sat

Right side of O line looked solid. Losing Montano is a big concern

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Counselor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:09:46 09/17/18 Mon

Better get LJ more touches.....underused Fri nite

Author:
Touchdown Brown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:12:05 09/18/18 Tue

My reflections:

Generally, mostly positive takeaways. As for the game itself, the first half is the only real gauge. Brown was in week one game shape. Cal Poly in week 3. And Brown was playing three time zones away. They were gassed and fried in the 2nd half. Forget about the 2nd half.

I thought Brown was better player for player than Cal Poly in the 1st half. Both teams scored 4 times in the half with one of CP’s coming on a kick return. Brown should have had at least one more TD. McGovern underthrew Casey in the back left end zone once and waited too long on the shuffle pass on the goal line on another. First game for McGovern. In week 3, he probably converts both of those.

McGovern got justifiably mentally and physically tired in 2nd half. Brown should have given McGovern a breather at least by the 4th and let Cody Young get some game experience. Oh well.

The O looked pretty good. Decker will get guys open to throw to. Running game will come along as throwing game opens things up. A lot of weapons. It’s all about play calling and executing. They have the guys.

Defensively, they held their own pretty well in the 1st half too. No way to tell about pass defense against run heavy CP. We’ll have to wait and see about pass D against Harvard. #2 cornerback looks really good. LB’s looked good. D-line also looked solid.

Harvard is beatable. It’s all about protecting the ball, avoiding penalties and making a few big plays. Decker’s O will put them in a position to do that.

It’s just football.

[> [> Subject: Re: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:16:41 09/18/18 Tue

You lost me at “forget about the second half.” One argument for thirty (!) slots per year for football is so the teams will have sufficient depth to play sixty minutes. The coaches might want to figure out a way to manage that.

Forgetting the second half, Princeton was 8-1-1 last year. With it, they were 5-5.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:29:56 09/18/18 Tue

How many games did princeton play in Cali?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:10 09/18/18 Tue

I always thought the greater problem was Cali traveling east, not going west.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
Right to Bear Arms
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:17:14 09/18/18 Tue

Whichever team does the traveling is disadvantaged

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:49:25 09/18/18 Tue

Their last game in California was at San Diego the first week of 2014. They lost 39-29, and lost the second half 18-14.

Author:
Ever True
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:31:15 09/18/18 Tue

Spot on with your observations and I get where you’re coming from re: 2nd half. I’m less optimistic about Harvard, if only because they also just played a team with three games under their belt - San Diego - and didn’t wilt in the second half, at least not to the degree that Brown did. I thought Harvard played well at the line, as they almost always do, and did well to pressure the San Diego QB who was on the shortlist for the Walter Peyton Award. Brown certainly has a chance, but they’re gonna need 60 strong minutes of line play and I’m not convinced they have it in them this week.

Author:
Touchdown Brown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:27 09/18/18 Tue

I guess it should be added that Brown only brought 62 (not sure about exact no.). They left 30 plus back in Providence. I’m don’t know if those are standard traveling numbers. Does anyone else know? There was just such a huge difference from 1st to 2nd half in all facets. Prothro (sp?) was something like 19-78 in 1st half and 24/150 in 2nd. And, McGovern started throwing some pretty bad passes in 2nd half. But all points well taken. Can’t really dismiss 2nd half. Very bothersome that the running game never opened up which meant they could tee off on our QB all 2nd half. The running game was the biggest concern to me. Enough from me, though.

Author:
Western Bear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:00:52 09/18/18 Tue

Ivy rules limit travel squads to 62. It was evident that MCgovern was tiring in the second half his passes were not as sharp and as was his recipient selection. Now, this could have been caused by defensive adjustment or o line fatigue.
Running games needs serious work. The line needs to get the holes opened and the backs. Things to do
1 try every runner we have. Give Boylan and Alexander more time. Boylan is a good Jette replacement and Alexander showed he should get more touches.
2 use short pass as a run
3 bring in a fullback to aid blocking. I nominate Will Such

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:07:08 09/18/18 Tue

Yes, 62 is mandated by rule. There might be wiggle room for non-conference games, though, especially if you make the case to the League that you want to take all the California players home so that their parents can watch them stand on the sidelines until, hopefully, garbage time.

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:23:36 09/18/18 Tue

Appreciate all the thoughts

Agree with Counselor--Harriot needs more touches

Agree with Ever True--Brown needs 60 minutes of quality O-Line play against Harvard--a big lift for an inexperienced and thin Bruno unit

Agree with Western Bear-- Brown needs more fullback/blocking back to buy time for McGovern

Would not be surprised if Estes and Decker are saving some stuff for Harvard

Author:
Brown Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:13 09/19/18 Wed

Brown hasn't regularly used a fullback in years, so it would be a significant change to see one this week.

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:39 09/19/18 Wed

see James Devlin
Patriots FB--still playing on Sundays
Brown Bear
Two Super Bowl Rings

would give our young QB a little more time
and a lead blocker for our RBs to get through the first wave of DLs

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:20:12 09/19/18 Wed

Brown has to develop an offensive philosophy that acknowledges their issues on the OLine: small, inexperienced, and thin on depth.

Decker seems to be adapting:
-- quick passing game
-- move the pocket
-- slow the rush (with screens and shovel passes)
-- tightening the OL splits

Keeping a bigger back in to block would help pickup the defensive stunts and blitzs

Today, Brown has a talent disadvantage against most League DL units.

Staying old school was a formula that failed last year.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Reflections on Brown Bears

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:21:34 09/19/18 Wed

... and double tight ends would help too
They seem to be strong at this position

Author:
Brown Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:00:16 09/19/18 Wed

Devlin was a terrific defensive lineman at Brown, not a fullback. The last regular FB I remember was Brett Grinna, though there could have been one after him.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.