VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Yale-Cornell

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:58:38 09/22/18 Sat
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "Yale-Cornell" on 14:37:35 09/22/18 Sat

Positives: Offense put up 428 yards and isn't even close to running on all cylinders. Rawlings has been solid. Yale started 2 drives on their own 12 and Rawlings managed to get them out of trouble both times. The ability to reverse field position has always been one of his strengths. Yale rarely punts from deep in their own territory.

Another very good RB stepped up.

Shohfi and Klubnik played well.

No turnovers

Negatives: Too many big plays allowed on D although they did play better in the 2nd half.

No turnovers caused

No third down conversions in the 2nd half on offense.

Injuries. Losing Dudek for any period of time would be crippling even as good as Alston played

10 MORE PENALTIES

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Cornell

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:40 09/22/18 Sat

Forgot to add the kicking game as a positive. Galland was excellent.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:50:05 09/22/18 Sat

Before the start of the 2015 season Rich and Salter were supposed to be the one, two punch in the Yale backfield but due to injuries by the Harvard game Dale Harris the talented two way db was taking most of the hand offs. Same in 2016 when Salter got hurt and Harris split time with the then talented freshman Alan Lamar. At the beginning of the 2017 season it seemed Yale finally had the depth at rb to deal with injuries to starters. Thank goodness for Zane Dudek who was third in the depth chart in the season opener against Lehigh. After Salter was lost for the season Yale was again in need for a dependable rb to backup Dudek. By the Harvard game that back up was the talented wide receiver Melvin Rouse also a freshman.
In today's game Lamar was out presumably due to injury and Dudek was injured and despite his toughness could not perform close to his usual skill level in the second half. Yet again the Yale rushing attack was dependent upon a commendable debut from a freshman back, Spencer Alston. Who are the backups to him in case Dudek and Salter stay out.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Cornell

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:17:31 09/22/18 Sat

I think Dudek will be ready to play against Maine. His injury didn’t look that bad. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lamar back either. He wasn’t suited up, but I saw him walking around and he looked fine. Slight limp but nothing drastic.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Cornell

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:07 09/22/18 Sat

Would rather keep them both out of the Maine game rather than risk re injuries. Need them at full strength for the league battles. That's why I was wondering what the depth chart at rb really looks like. Thought Purvey looked pretty good in the limited time he played last season but there's been little mention of him in the pre-season scrimmages.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Cornell

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:19:45 09/22/18 Sat

I believe Trenton Charles would be in the two deep behind Alston if neither Dudek or Lamar were available. Not bad.

Author:
BW2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:19:50 09/24/18 Mon

Charles is a speed guy. Running him between the tackles, is a serious mistake. He needs to be on the field at the same time as Dudek and run some quick pitch, speed sweeps, screens. With the large numbers of D linemen assigned to stop Dudek each play, a play action pass to a TE would work nicely too. (My 2 cents).

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Cornell

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:23:20 09/24/18 Mon

He was used on two sweeps against Cornell that went no where. My guess is the Cornell defensive coordinator was aware of Charles's speed and anticipated the play calls as soon as he came on the field. Yale needs to figure out the best way to get him some touches without telegraphing the plays when he's in there. Up tempo play calling without the qb looking to the sidelines for the play would help when he's in the game.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.