VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yale Cornell TV timeouts - a game experience killer

Author:
Old Red
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:07:49 09/24/18 Mon

As noted on the Yale post the game Saturday in Ithaca produced an enjoyable Ivy battle. Cornell was finally competitive and but for two Yale brilliant defensive last second pass deflections the score might have been different. Sadly the pace of the game for both teams and fans was pitiful. The individual coordinating the timeouts was clueless. The inclusion of untimely three minute editions were killers. The fact that the officiating crew lost concentration on four penalty enforcements didn't help.
If this is an example of the ESPN experience then I for one am a proponent for going back to purely the ivy digital network.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: The Harvard/Brown telecast was similarly pitiful

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:13:22 09/24/18 Mon

We missed most of the first half due to "technical problems" and the second half was loaded with glitches. And you're right about the "time out" excesses.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Yale Cornell TV timeouts - a game experience killer

Author:
Acob (Ford South)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:52:52 09/24/18 Mon

Add to these salient comments replacing Jack Ford with a savvy incisive analyst.
He sounds like one of those tv commentators as part of a court drama.

[> [> Subject: Had a horrible experience, airmailed the subscription

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:18 09/24/18 Mon

Told them to make it available to the cable provider.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:59:17 09/24/18 Mon

Well it's not Cornell's fault and the ESPN+ coverage will probably improve with time. However, I would still rather have the games on ESPN+ with a few delays than not have the games broadcast at all.

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:12:52 09/24/18 Mon

gentlemen; my hat's off to mr. ford who at least tried to remain non-partisan.i love coach cozza but his commentary had the effect of a heavy sedative

[> [> Subject: ESPN+ experience

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:09 09/25/18 Tue

Why were TV breaks being taken during the game, anyway? I don't recall seeing an actual paid commercial. There were the same three ESPN commercials, the same three Ivy/school commercials, and a test-pattern-like "game is in commercial break" screen during every TV timeout.

If you don't have any ads sold, please let the game continue at an ad-free pace. NCAA games take long enough to complete these days, we don't need to add delays where none are warranted.

As for the actual broadcast quality, the camera work and production were at the level of a 1980's community access channel broadcast of a high school game. We were in "all 22" mode most of the time, forcing the viewer to squint, despite having a wide-screen TV, to figure out if that was a handoff or a fake. Replays? If you're lucky, pal. And they might be queued up to halfway through the play, or 20 seconds before the snap, and often had to be aborted to get back to live action. They had an end zone camera behind one of the goal posts, yet chose to almost never use it for place kicks. I know, none of those are ESPN's fault, they're just the carrier. And yes, it's far better than not being able to watch the game at all. But a little improvement would go a long way.

Author:
Ivy Patriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:37:11 09/28/18 Fri

The (free) Patriot League network gets generally good reviews. ESPN appears to have cobbled its Plus network together a little too quickly.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale Cornell TV timeouts - a game experience killer

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:23:06 09/28/18 Fri

ESPN+ has been live for over 5 months.

Not sure about technical glitches; I haven't experienced any yet. My gripes were with the production of the broadcast, but that is not ESPN's fault. Putting it in "old guy terms" that I can relate to: if a radio station plays crappy songs, the radio station is not to blame for producing lousy music; they're just playing what they're given. ESPN+ is being given 1980's high school A/V Department broadcasts by the schools/league.

Disclaimer: I was never a subscriber of the Ivy League Network, so I can't say if the production of the Yale @ Cornell game last weekend was any better or worse than what has been shown in past years on ILN.

[> [> [> Subject: In a civilized society

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:33:00 09/28/18 Fri

Some stands must be taken. Any DJ who plays Justin Bieber or Barry Manilow must be held accountable.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: In a civilized society

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:20:35 09/28/18 Fri

Or, for those who still remember Aldous Huxley, such DJ’s should be given a stiff dose of Soma.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: In a civilized society

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:24:40 09/28/18 Fri

Agree on both counts.

My analogy intended to define "crappy music" as music where, say, the drummer can't keep time, the singer is off-key, etc. The radio station cannot be blamed for such shortcomings, just as ESPN+ can't be blamed for lousy camera work, lack of replays, poor announcing, etc.

But crappy music can take many faces, no question.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.