VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: conditioning/depth

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:58:39 09/28/18 Fri
In reply to: M3 's message, "Re: Week 3 Football Games" on 06:49:00 09/28/18 Fri

Princeton has given up zero (0) second-half points this year.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: conditioning/depth

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:56:56 09/29/18 Sat

Similar to the Monmouth game, it felt like it was going to be a close contest going into the 2Q. Columbia had scored on a sustained drive to make it 13-10 and Princeton seemed to be having trouble stopping their offense. But the Tiger D then tightened up and for the remainder of the game both lines got the best of Columbia. As Joisey points out, conditioning and depth (and John Lovett of course) must have played a big role in turning the tide, particularly after several Lion defenders went down with injuries.

It was really encouraging to see another big win by Princeton against a solid team in their house with the starters off the field by the 4Q for the third straight game. Only two more away games are left, unfortunately they are against the Crimson and Eli’s, which I still cannot get my head around after many decades of HYP homecoming games.

My only concern about this team is the sustainability of running Lovett so much. RPOs were used much more sparingly the first two games but Lovett and Princeton’s OC’s eyes must have gotten big when they saw that Columbia was stacking the box and going with man coverage. It is a very hard attack to defend because they have so many weapons and a seasoned QB who goes for the jugular. I just hope he can avoid injuries because without him Princeton will have a good-but-not-great offense IMHO.

Based on the first three games Princeton merits Jake’s #1 power ranking. However, after last season’s 5-1 start devolved into an injury-riddled 5-5 season I don’t think many Tiger fans are assuming anything at this point; there are many dangerous teams in the Ivies this year and we will learn a lot today about the pecking order when Dartmouth and Penn face off. This is a fun team to watch and I’m happy for Coach Surace that the team is playing up to their potential so far.

Go Tigers!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: conditioning/depth

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:49:21 09/29/18 Sat

Just a brief addendum.
With all of the injuries last year, we were able to develop many younger players. This has resulted in depth along both lines that allows the tigers to wear down the opponents in the second half. And this is without Holuba. Hopefully he can return this year.
Lovett is causing all sorts of problems for defenses. He is hard to blitz because he sees the field so well that he will take off. He is not quite as accurate as Kanoff (who is?), but accurate enough.
As you correctly point out, it is still early in the season.

[> [> [> [> Subject: And maybe size

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:40:04 09/29/18 Sat

Perhaps this is simply echoing comments from the TV announcers, which may not be accurate, but it seemed kike Tigers are a bit bigger and/or faster overall (or were, last night) than their opponents at the skill positions.

Lovett is a remarkable player and fun to watch but I too would like to see someone else share the load a bit more, especially in games that are not so close.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: And maybe size

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:39:33 09/29/18 Sat

I share your sentiments, but over the last two years we’ve seen many looks and patterns that have been completely missing in the first three games, I suspect because (as the announcers also noted) nobody has stopped the simpler stuff. The gorgeous reverse to Eaddy last night is an obvious example. Bang, TD. They certainly have every motivation to do the same next week against Lehigh and save the truly nasty stuff for the big Ivies later. And then there’s Brown 10/13....

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.