VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Week 3 Football Games

Author:
Wondering Aloud
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:31:13 09/28/18 Fri
In reply to: Ivy wanna be 's message, "Week 3 Football Games" on 18:24:50 09/26/18 Wed

Princeton runs the table this year

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Week 3 Football Games

Author:
Unknown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:01:08 09/29/18 Sat

Yes, I see the power rankings as:

Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Penn
Harvard
Columbia
Cornell
Brown

Although if Penn dismantles Dartmouth they could be the second best team this season.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Week 3 Football Games/ESPN minus

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:40:51 09/29/18 Sat

I will echo last weeks post concerning ESPN plus

I guess it is national exposure but I think the ratio of plays to commercials is about 3:1

Painfully slow.

Upside Ford is a good announcer and classy guy.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Before we hand the Trophy to any team

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:33:56 09/29/18 Sat

Let’s play some more games first. Maybe some better competition. ?
Princeton is a fun team to watch. Would have loved to see them play Rutgers..!! But you have to believe in you’re team to do that.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Before we hand the Trophy to any team

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:45:46 09/29/18 Sat

You also need to believe Rutgers isn’t Penn State, which admittedly isn’t hard at the moment.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Its A BIG TEN TEAM..! It doesn’t matter

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:42 09/29/18 Sat

It would have been GREAT EXPOSURE For the IVY LEAGUE. Is that to hard to comprehend.?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Before we hand the Trophy to any team

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:43:21 09/29/18 Sat

You obviously haven’t watched Rutgers much. I would be circumspect regarding the “We are a Big Ten School” T-shirts.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: joiseyfan, you don’t get it

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:32:16 09/29/18 Sat

That’s ok, if Princeton head it would’ve been a tremendous feat for the Ivy League.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Before we hand the Trophy to any team

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:37:56 09/29/18 Sat

IWB --

FWIW, I wanted the game very badly, and think the NCAA would have been brilliant to move heaven and earth to make it happen, which of course they didn't.

But at the same time I have to respect the argument that getting your team beaten up for a symbolic occasion very early in the season, which was apparently the only option available, is a dicey proposition. Especially when your Ivy competition is risking absolutely nothing. And of course I'm not sure anyone really expected the recollapse of Rutgers to the degree it's happened -- again.

I'm with you in spirit.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Princeton would have kicked they’re assessed out of the place

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:54 09/29/18 Sat

[> [> Subject: Lovett's Arm, Tigers Running the Table?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:57:16 09/29/18 Sat

If somebody just cut and spliced tape of Lovett throwing downfield last night, I would have said confidently, "This quarterback isn't accurate enough to lead his team to a championship." Other than that opening touchdown pass to #84, Lovett's arm was erratic, at times very much so.

But of course, Princeton might not need him to be much more accurate. The other way to view the situation is, on an afternoon when he is accurate (which I presume he was earlier this season), the Tigers will be scary.

But talk of running the table is premature. Just to make the math easy, let's assume that Princeton is a 90% favorite to win each of the six remaining games besides Dartmouth. Under this scenario, the Tigers would only be a 53% probability to be 9-0 ex-Dartmouth. And Princeton is no 90% favorite to beat Dartmouth.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Lovett's Arm, Tigers Running the Table?

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:56:58 09/29/18 Sat

Before the end of the season (I would have said “certainly”, but they’ve had no need to date) you will see one of the three gunners at QB with Lovett in the slot along with Eaddy or Volker and the two horses at WR. Recall Lovett had 26 receptions two years ago with a TD. Hard to imagine how to cover that mid to deep downfield. That being said, Lovett may indeed well be the fourth most accurate pure passer they have.

The other thing I would note is that Lions could have been called four or five times for pass interference last night, and there were zero. It affected the timing of a couple plays.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Lovett's Arm, Tigers Running the Table? Pass Interference

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:28:12 09/29/18 Sat

I can't wait to see Lovett used in this fashion. If you've got talented passers who can also either run or catch, putting two of them on the field at once puts tremendous strain on a defense. I think you'll see this more often. Imagine Alabama lining up with Tua and Jalen on the field at once.

I agree about all those potential pass interference penalties. The refs seemed to think that, as long as the cornerback was not still staring at the wide receiver, anything goes. Several times Lovett underthrew an open receiver, who slowed down and had the corner run into him. But presumably because the corner was not looking at the receiver, no penalty was called.

I'm not sure that I agree with that interpretation of the rule. Generally, the covering corners were not in the process of trying to catch the ball, they were still running down the field and ran directly (without looking) into the receiver. I think that's pass interference.

I was under the impression the cornerback only gets a free pass if he's tracking the ball with his eyes or attempting to catch it.

In other words, if you're attempting to catch the ball, you're in a "jump ball" situation and anything goes. But if you're running stride for stride with the receiver, he stops and you run into him (whether looking at him or not), that's pass interference.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Lovett's Arm, Tigers Running the Table?

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:29:25 09/29/18 Sat

If anyone teams starting QB gets hurt then there is big trouble.

Gerbino is like Lovett in that the play a Tim Tebow type game and are at higher risk for injury than your usual hand off or drop back QB.

So what to do?

You roll the dice and hope for the best.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.