VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yale / Maine

Author:
voy vey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:39:24 09/29/18 Sat

Dudek not playing. Teevens must've read the calendar wrong. :-)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:43:28 09/29/18 Sat

Yale very fortunate Mainr's starting QB was hurt last week. The backup is "shdruggelling," as Joe Namath would say.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:10:56 09/29/18 Sat

Same could be said for Maine.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:07:38 09/29/18 Sat

Big turnover. That really hurts.

[> Subject: Y 28 M 14. Q4

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:48:14 09/29/18 Sat

Rawlings channels Garo Yepremian but the D (and bad play calls by Maine) bail him out.

Rawlings is scrambling /under pressure on every drop-back. O- line needs to step it up.

[> [> Subject: Y 35 M 14

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:32:28 09/29/18 Sat

Rawlings was great, despite the turnover, as were Shohfi (despite his turnover) and Klubnik.

[> Subject: Maine-Yale Box Score

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:14:35 09/29/18 Sat

The box score on the Yale website says that the game was played at Reese Stadium and attendance was 0

[> [> Subject: Re: Maine-Yale Box Score

Author:
Steve Mathiason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:26:00 09/29/18 Sat

well...if they went to Reese, and everyone else went to the bowl, that would explain the 0! lol

[> [> Subject: Re: Maine-Yale Box Score

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:16:45 09/29/18 Sat

My guess is the attendance was 8,000

[> [> [> Subject: More like 3,000 and that was a stretch

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:26:22 09/29/18 Sat

The official box score said 0.? LMAO

[> [> [> [> Subject: Attendance was 7,889

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:13:18 09/29/18 Sat

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401029877

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Attendance was 7,889, At Reese Stadium

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:04:13 09/29/18 Sat

2,880 at The Yale Bowl.no where close to 8,000

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Attendance was 7,889, At Reese Stadium

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:42:27 09/30/18 Sun

Believe what you want.

[> Subject: Big game next friday night

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:33:39 09/29/18 Sat

Dartmouth's D is for real, can't wait just wish it was Sat afternoon not Friday night

question Ivy Wanna be do you think they held Dudek out to save him for next week bc Main was non conference kinda like what we did with Gerbino?

[> [> Subject: Let talk to Reno , I’ll let ya know.?

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:42:42 09/29/18 Sat

The whole sideline looked like a triage unit at work in the ER.?

[> [> Subject: so where is the

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:48:25 09/29/18 Sat

WPLR radio location? I will certainly come over and say hi

Like Bret Kavanagh I like beer too

[> [> [> Subject: Central Ave. on the other side of the walk way from Reese Stad

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:59 09/29/18 Sat

I would like that.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Central Ave. on the other side of the walk way from Reese Stad

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:22:08 09/29/18 Sat

I may join you. We can make ire a Voy Forum tailgate. Go Green, you going to join us?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Can't make the trip

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:00 09/30/18 Sun

Coaching my daughter's soccer team this Fall.

Have fun!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Can't make the trip

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:18:48 09/30/18 Sun

Where are your priorities? The Dartmouth team will be deflated when they read this. :)

[> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:59:28 09/29/18 Sat

* Let's be honest with ourselves, Yale supporters. The MVP of the game today was, take your pick: Maine's first-string QB (for not being able to play), or the Central Michigan player who put him on the shelf. Maine had as ineffectual a passing attack today as I've seen in many years. 10 of 27. Take away the two long TD's and they had a whopping SIXTY SIX yards passing on the other 25 attempts. In short, this was not the Maine offense we expected to see. Granted, the Yale D played well, especially when "playing with the lead" and able to tee off on a team that was forced into catch-up mode.

* The book on Maine's defense coming in was that they were extremely stout vs. the run, but prone to deep passes. That proved to be true, and credit to OC Cahill for exploiting that weakness.

* Good to see some previously-injured players back in action, including DT Matthaei. But the "M*A*S*H unit" description is appropriate. Especially in the secondary, where another injury was incurred (Rodney Thomas in Q4). If my count is correct, five of the eight DB's on the week-1 two-deep are out (if Thomas doesn't return Friday).

* Stockpiling RB's and WR's looks prudent now. With 5 WR's hurt, there's still fantastic talent like Shohfi and Klubnik to keep the chains moving. Good to see TE's contributing, too. And at RB, neither of our All-Ivy backs saw action, but the two fresh--er, First Years, acquitted themselves admirably.

* The O-line needs to protect Rawlings better. Practically every pass play is: receive the snap, look downfield for less than a second, duck, run forward to evade oncoming rush, pick out a receiver while on the run, and deliver. Glad it's working, but it's not a long-term recipe for success.

* Ms. Chun's first Youth Day as AD was less than impressive. Beckett regularly had a midway full of activities for the kids, and dozens of youth teams in attendance (future fans...and players?). The midway today was pathetic, I saw practically no kids in the Bowl. In fact, attendance in general was as bad as I've seen for opening day. But, you know, the weather was awful. Oh, wait...

* Good thing we weren't playing Columbia today. Throwing for the 5th TD on fourth and goal with barely a minute remaining would have caused as many Light Blue heads to explode as Mike McLeod's somersault.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
Observer15
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:03:15 09/30/18 Sun

Man that is a lot of complaining analysis for a team that pulled together to bring off a win. Yes they gotta improve. How about a little praise for the spirit of this team that believed it could win— and won. Sheesh.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:06:26 09/30/18 Sun

"How about a little praise for the spirit of this team that believed it could win— and won. Sheesh." There was praise in there along with the gripes, which you apparently decided to overlook. Sheesh, indeed.

"Yes they gotta improve." Agreed.

"Thomas returned to the game. He is fine. Think he just had the wind knocked out of him." Didn't catch that - great to hear!

"Vicky Chun was on the sideline cheering on the team with great enthusiasm. I’m impressed with her so far." She was doing the same at Holy Cross, which I found to be a fantastic first impression. My point is that the atmosphere of Yale home games being an "event" was notably lacking yesterday. Hopefully that, too, will improve. Also, I have to wonder how much the administrative botches regarding Field Turf this past off-season were the result of the changing of the guard. Again, hopefully onward and upward. Her enthusiasm for her teams is certainly off-the-charts good.

"You could easily make the case Yale has been more hampered by injuries then Maine." Completely agree with that assessment -- which is why I am so baffled by the drop-off in talent at the QB position for Maine. That one injury influenced the outcome of the game more than the myriad of injuries incurred by Yale.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
Yale OL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:51:06 09/30/18 Sun

Voy vey your analysis is spot on! The bowl was very empty yesterday and lacked any juice. I was wondering why this is no longer an “event”

New ad was very passionate and enthusiastic watching the game. Another thing i observed her doing was getting several cups of the team issued Gatorade and passing it out to a bunch of kids sitting on the wall. Very classsy and kind in my opinion

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:33:16 09/30/18 Sun

Thomas returned to the game. He is fine. Think he just had the wind knocked out of him.

I think your assessment, while mostly true, is from a glass half empty viewpoint. This was a win over the 16th ranked team in the country. When is the last time a Yale beat a ranked team at home? My guess is 2004 against Colgate.

Vicky Chun was on the sideline cheering on the team with great enthusiasm. I’m impressed with her so far.

You claim that Yale beat Maine beacause their QB is out is contradicted by you listing all the key injuries Yale has. Injuries are part of the game and effect every team to one degree or another. You could easily make the case Yale has been more hampered by injuries then Maine.

I am optimistic about Yale. They are a young team with lots of talent that is continuing to grow every week.

[> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:13:38 09/29/18 Sat

Significant win by Yale over the #16 ranked team in the FCS and terrific performance by Kurt Rawlings. Maine didn't have their starting qb but we didn't have our top two rbs in the game. Yale offense was more productive against Maine than Central Michigan who beat Maine last week 17-5 and lost today to Michigan State 31-20.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:31:10 09/29/18 Sat

The lack of depth at QB for Maine is astounding to me.

"Maine didn't have their starting qb but we didn't have our top two rbs in the game." Hence my comment, "Stockpiling RB's and WR's looks prudent now."

On the subject of backups at skill positions, when Yale took over on downs inside Maine territory with a two TD lead and about 6 minutes left in a non-league game, did anyone else feel the time was right to sit Rawlings and give a backup (Check or Conte) some reps? And if not then...when?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:41:33 09/29/18 Sat

""sit Rawlings and give a backup (Check or Conte) some reps? And if not then...when""?

2019? I don't see any blowouts on the schedule.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:48:02 09/29/18 Sat

I don't see any blowouts, either. I just hope another thing we don't see is #6 being helped off the field, forcing us to rely on a QB with no (or effectively no) varsity snaps to lead us to victory in one or more of those close games. With Rawlings being forced to do a Tarkenton impression almost every pass attempt, I'd be thinking about getting a backup some seasoning.

(And I know, I'm showing my age in this thread, referencing Fran and Garo when discussing Rawlings.)

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:53:38 09/29/18 Sat

Rawlings is already playing hurt - wearing an elbow brace on his non throwing arm.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:57:48 09/29/18 Sat

I remember Fran and Garo. Heck, I remember Unitas and Starr and straight ahead kickers.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:39:56 09/30/18 Sun

I never felt this game was out of reach allowing Rawlings to be pulled. Can you imagine if that had happened and Yale blew a two TD lead with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. When is the last time that happened? Oh yeah, two weeks ago.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine/Central Michigan/Michigan St.

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:40:56 09/29/18 Sat

I felt the same as you on using either Check or Conte, particularly in the waning minutes. Conte was used for just the last play in the first half and even though it was intercepted it showed he has a really powerful arm.

[> [> [> Subject: I meant Check not Conte

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:49:25 09/29/18 Sat

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:11 09/30/18 Sun

Maine has a great defense which makes Yale’s offensive production even more impressive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CAAFootball/status/1046052548011012101/video/1

[> [> Subject: Speaking of attendance

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:18:52 09/30/18 Sun

UConn's football game attendance has been dropping noticeably as a result of recent losing seasons and last year averaged about 20,000 at Rentschler Field as compared to Edsell's first stint as hc when it was around 38,000. This year UConn'barely beat FCS team Rhode Island and has been overpowered by FBS opponents UCF, Boise St. and Syracuse.

Yesterday attendance was again around 20,000 when Cincinnati beat the Huskies 49-7.

Yale is coming off a 9-1 championship season and played FCS #16 ranked Maine and beat them handily. Attendance was supposedly 8000. Of course both Yale and UConn played under the same beautiful weather conditions.

Rentschler field looked picture perfect, the field at the Bowl has never looked worse.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Speaking of attendance

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:10 09/30/18 Sun

Can’t wait for the installation of Field Turf at the Bowl.

As for UConn, Yale is ranked by Sagarin #150 while Uconn is ranked #164. Yale beat Army in 2014 while UConn lost to them. In 2015 Yale beat Maine on the road by a larger margin than UConn beat Maine at home. In 2017 Yale beat Holy Cross at home by a much larger margin than UConn beat them at home. In short Yale us the best football team in the state. If UConn doesn’t think so, schedule Yale to prove it.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Here , here SOE. I second that motion

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:57:31 09/30/18 Sun

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.