VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
voy vey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:59:28 09/29/18 Sat
In reply to: voy vey 's message, "Yale / Maine" on 13:39:24 09/29/18 Sat

* Let's be honest with ourselves, Yale supporters. The MVP of the game today was, take your pick: Maine's first-string QB (for not being able to play), or the Central Michigan player who put him on the shelf. Maine had as ineffectual a passing attack today as I've seen in many years. 10 of 27. Take away the two long TD's and they had a whopping SIXTY SIX yards passing on the other 25 attempts. In short, this was not the Maine offense we expected to see. Granted, the Yale D played well, especially when "playing with the lead" and able to tee off on a team that was forced into catch-up mode.

* The book on Maine's defense coming in was that they were extremely stout vs. the run, but prone to deep passes. That proved to be true, and credit to OC Cahill for exploiting that weakness.

* Good to see some previously-injured players back in action, including DT Matthaei. But the "M*A*S*H unit" description is appropriate. Especially in the secondary, where another injury was incurred (Rodney Thomas in Q4). If my count is correct, five of the eight DB's on the week-1 two-deep are out (if Thomas doesn't return Friday).

* Stockpiling RB's and WR's looks prudent now. With 5 WR's hurt, there's still fantastic talent like Shohfi and Klubnik to keep the chains moving. Good to see TE's contributing, too. And at RB, neither of our All-Ivy backs saw action, but the two fresh--er, First Years, acquitted themselves admirably.

* The O-line needs to protect Rawlings better. Practically every pass play is: receive the snap, look downfield for less than a second, duck, run forward to evade oncoming rush, pick out a receiver while on the run, and deliver. Glad it's working, but it's not a long-term recipe for success.

* Ms. Chun's first Youth Day as AD was less than impressive. Beckett regularly had a midway full of activities for the kids, and dozens of youth teams in attendance (future fans...and players?). The midway today was pathetic, I saw practically no kids in the Bowl. In fact, attendance in general was as bad as I've seen for opening day. But, you know, the weather was awful. Oh, wait...

* Good thing we weren't playing Columbia today. Throwing for the 5th TD on fourth and goal with barely a minute remaining would have caused as many Light Blue heads to explode as Mike McLeod's somersault.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
Observer15
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:03:15 09/30/18 Sun

Man that is a lot of complaining analysis for a team that pulled together to bring off a win. Yes they gotta improve. How about a little praise for the spirit of this team that believed it could win— and won. Sheesh.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:06:26 09/30/18 Sun

"How about a little praise for the spirit of this team that believed it could win— and won. Sheesh." There was praise in there along with the gripes, which you apparently decided to overlook. Sheesh, indeed.

"Yes they gotta improve." Agreed.

"Thomas returned to the game. He is fine. Think he just had the wind knocked out of him." Didn't catch that - great to hear!

"Vicky Chun was on the sideline cheering on the team with great enthusiasm. I’m impressed with her so far." She was doing the same at Holy Cross, which I found to be a fantastic first impression. My point is that the atmosphere of Yale home games being an "event" was notably lacking yesterday. Hopefully that, too, will improve. Also, I have to wonder how much the administrative botches regarding Field Turf this past off-season were the result of the changing of the guard. Again, hopefully onward and upward. Her enthusiasm for her teams is certainly off-the-charts good.

"You could easily make the case Yale has been more hampered by injuries then Maine." Completely agree with that assessment -- which is why I am so baffled by the drop-off in talent at the QB position for Maine. That one injury influenced the outcome of the game more than the myriad of injuries incurred by Yale.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
Yale OL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:51:06 09/30/18 Sun

Voy vey your analysis is spot on! The bowl was very empty yesterday and lacked any juice. I was wondering why this is no longer an “event”

New ad was very passionate and enthusiastic watching the game. Another thing i observed her doing was getting several cups of the team issued Gatorade and passing it out to a bunch of kids sitting on the wall. Very classsy and kind in my opinion

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale / Maine - afterthoughts

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:33:16 09/30/18 Sun

Thomas returned to the game. He is fine. Think he just had the wind knocked out of him.

I think your assessment, while mostly true, is from a glass half empty viewpoint. This was a win over the 16th ranked team in the country. When is the last time a Yale beat a ranked team at home? My guess is 2004 against Colgate.

Vicky Chun was on the sideline cheering on the team with great enthusiasm. I’m impressed with her so far.

You claim that Yale beat Maine beacause their QB is out is contradicted by you listing all the key injuries Yale has. Injuries are part of the game and effect every team to one degree or another. You could easily make the case Yale has been more hampered by injuries then Maine.

I am optimistic about Yale. They are a young team with lots of talent that is continuing to grow every week.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.