VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Good Luck Getting to the Bowl on Friday

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:10:21 09/30/18 Sun

If the usually impossible traffic on the Merritt and 95 is not difficult enough, be prepared for residential road blockages in the neighborhood near parking Lots D and F. Last Saturday, I tried to follow my usual routine of exiting the Merritt at 57, and heading toward the Bowl on CT 34. I made my usual left turn onto Forest Rd to approach the lots by heading down Cleveland Rd, but found it was barricaded. It now appears that the only way to get into Lot D is by heading down 34 all the way to Central Ave.

Yale seems determined to make game attendance as difficult as possible, give yourself extra time to make the 6 pm kickoff on Friday.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Good Luck Getting to the Bowl on Friday

Author:
Yale OL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:40 09/30/18 Sun

Spot on Memphis. I was saying yesterday the same thing. Yale has made it really difficult to access their product. Love the beauty of Cleveland rd but saw the restrictions. Decided to park in the general lot, lot d i think for the first time in a few years. $10!!! Are you serious? Hardly anyone goes and they charge to park? Leaves a bad taste in your mouth

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Good Luck Getting to the Bowl on Friday

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:55:56 09/30/18 Sun

Yes, this. What Yale OL said.

I would love to sit in on a meeting of the green eye-shade types who sit around a conference table to decide how to price game tickets and parking for "regular" games as well as premium pricing for Harvard/Princeton.

Yale seems to price for revenue maximization. By now, Yale knows that demand is fairly inelastic so, sure, charge $10 to park in an empty field. And why not squeeze out a few more bucks from the H-P games?

We all know that football attendance, including Ivy attendance, is headed down. At this point, the Ivies shouldn't be pricing for revenue maximization, but to have people feeling as they drive home afterwards that they had a great time. Because, unlike most businesses, in terms of revenue, what the Ivies should really focus on is developing school spirit and loyalty, because the alumni donation dollars will SWAMP the football gate receipts.

Yale, your business is not running a football business with maximized parking revenues; your business is developing happy and grateful alumni with maximized donations.

Author:
Uptown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:29:51 10/01/18 Mon

And all this time I thought Yale's business was developing educated persons, scholarship and research.

[> [> Subject: Why Are Some Universities Richer Than Others?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:26:54 10/01/18 Mon

Uptown, your post is to the point. Obviously, the raison d'etre for great universities is developing educated persons, scholarship and research. But the way that all universities have done this for five centuries is incredibly labor intensive and thus very expensive. You can't do it unless you can raise money, from whatever source: tuition, alumni donations, government grants, investment returns.

Have you ever wondered why the richest American universities are Princeton, Yale and Harvard?

Sure, they're old, and compounding investment returns helps. But Princeton is not much older than either Columbia, Penn, Brown or Dartmouth. Yet, once you strip out their hospital endowments, Princeton has roughly as much money as the other four put together.

My sense is that Princeton, Yale and Harvard have for the past century or so had a particularly clear-eyed view about the importance of raising money and then earning high investment returns on what they've already got.

All American universities were fledgling, financially fragile organization until the dawn of the twentieth century. Basically, everybody was on fairly even ground. Since then, some universities have been run with a greater focus on money than others. Teaching and research are great, but can't be done without a certain practical approach to money.

No university is promised or guaranteed financial survival. Columbia flirted with financial disaster in the seventies. Yale was headed in the same direction until David Swensen and, to a lesser extent, Richard Levin dramatically pulled the plane out of its nosedive in the nineties.

We are currently running a 36-year bull market in *ALL* financial assets. The tide has lifted all boats. Interest rates literally have nowhere to go but up. Who knows where the weaker universities would be today if they weren't all bailed out by rising financial prices?

Money is the sine qua non. You better be able to raise it and manage it or you won't be around for the long term.

Author:
bowwowwow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:38:59 10/01/18 Mon

It sure as hell isn't field maintenance.

[> Subject: Just go up to Chapel or Edgewood, instead of Cleveland

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:44:06 10/01/18 Mon

I know for a fact that Edgewood is open at Forest. Not sure about Chapel, but I'm willing to bet it is, too.

[> [> Subject: Re: Just go up to Chapel or Edgewood, instead of Cleveland

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:12:26 10/01/18 Mon

Voy Vey, I tried that on Saturday, and the problem is that unless one has a reserved pass, they will not let you go down Central from either Edgewood or Chapel, it can only be entered from Rt. 34. My sense is that Lot D is therefore only accessible by going all that way down 34, which I would think would jam up pretty badly. I guess they are steering the Chapel/Edgewood traffic into the lot next to the tennis center, a long walk from the Yale side of the Bowl!

[> [> [> Subject: Yeah, never mind!

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:35:17 10/01/18 Mon

Good point, Bill.
I had an F pass, so was able to get through the Central barricade. I just assumed that anyone saying that they were heading to D would be allowed through, but quite possibly not.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yeah, never mind!

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:20 10/01/18 Mon

I had dropped the ball in not getting my Lot F pass, so I sweet talked my way past the cops manning the barricade, then showed my football assn pass to the lot attendants who let me into F. I doubt many would have been as lucky as I was--plus I Was a late arrival, so the authorities were inclined to let down their guard. Don't try my style of improv on Friday, it won't work!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yeah, never mind!

Author:
Greenguy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:52:46 10/03/18 Wed

I plan to drive from Hartford to New Haven on Friday and attend the game. Any advice on how much time I should give myself on a Friday afternoon so that I am at the Yale Bowl by 5pm? And which parking lot would anyone suggest (am not all that familiar with the parking nuances around the Yale Bowl).

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: There's a large Dartmouth contingent....

Author:
Ghost of Bob Blackman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:24 10/04/18 Thu

...in Lot A, as the nearest entrance to the Mud - er, Yale Bowl from Lot A places you on the 'visitors' side of the stadium.

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:02 10/02/18 Tue

gentlemen; one would think mr. levin has resurfaced in charge of game admissions and parking.

[> [> Subject: still raining

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:20 10/02/18 Tue

actually a lot
2 keys

Dudek is he playing? (of course he is) unless there is something more serious then Yale really is an Ivy Wanna Be
2)is he a mudder? because I think that is what the bowl is going to be after an incredibly wet summer

Other 2 keys
Dartmouth D line(best in awhile and if they win in a long while)
Dartmouth O Line See above

Can't wait, just sux that it is on a Friday night not a glorious Sat afternoon, plus Yale is going to charge 10 bucks to park on a muddy grass field making me hit my daughter up for 5 bucks?

(still raining and thundering at (9:45PM)

Can't wait

[> [> [> Subject: 10:24 update

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:32 10/02/18 Tue

thunder lightening heavy rain but radar shows not quite as bad in the Elm City, I mean it is getting ridiculous never have seen a 3 month period with as much rain must be climate change. Nah just an unusual period, better be or I am going to take out flood insurance again. Pond creeping closer to house amazing, getting torrential again

[> [> [> [> Subject: Up to your calf’s in muck, Gotta love it

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:52:04 10/03/18 Wed

What will happen, how can it be.?!!!! OMG imagine playing a game in these conditions..!! Just play the damn game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 10:24 update

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:39:56 10/03/18 Wed

As much as we all appreciate Holtsie's Accuweather updates, I presume that Yale covers the field with a tarp and has some way to drain most of the water away from the playing surface.

I know that it's not an ideal situation because the playing surface sits below ground level, but it can't be that last night's rain soaked the grass.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 10:24 update

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:29 10/03/18 Wed

To be honest, I'd be fine playing Yale in mucky quicksand. I think our game is designed better for such conditions than Yale's.

Now, a wet field on nice grass is another story.

We will see how the Bowl is on Friday night!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 10:24 update

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:13:05 10/03/18 Wed

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious how you conclude that a mucky quicksand (which is I think an accurate description of the Bowl late in the season) benefits Dartmouth, but a wet field on nice grass benefits Yale.

I think that the "nice grass" bus has already left the station.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 10:24 update

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:48:40 10/03/18 Wed

In my humble opinion, Dartmouth is bigger and stronger than Yale. A mucky field will slow things down and force teams to deal in the trenches. In theory, at least.

A wet field with nice grass will allow Yale to use its speed in the passing game. The receivers know where they are going and can get away from the DB faster if he slips. Again, in theory.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 10:24 update

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:00:59 10/03/18 Wed

Got it. Your theories are plausible.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I wonder

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:10 10/03/18 Wed

if the field really was tarped or not? Probably not because there isn't enough money in the facilities budget. I would love to know the answer

[> [> Subject: Not saying it's wet, but...

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:26:15 10/03/18 Wed

The gorgeous, custom-designed grass Myslik soccer field at Princeton has been unusable for almost a month now, a first in its ten-year history. If the rain in New Haven has been remotely similar, the state of the Bowl surface is hard to imagine.

[> [> [> Subject: Time to move the game

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:53:30 10/03/18 Wed

to a neutral site like SH or CCSU all those in favor say Aye
"Aye"
The Ayes have it

I know I know it ain't gonna happen, just wistfully musing

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Time to move the game

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:32 10/03/18 Wed

Based on probable attendance, any high school field will work.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Time to move the game

Author:
Eleazar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:30 10/05/18 Fri

Too bad the game isn't up in Hanover this year. Last time we had Yale for Homecoming the place was pretty well filled:

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2017/7/24/211654841.aspx?path=football

Can't get out of work soon enough to make it down to New Haven, but will be watching on TV, then toggling to playoff baseball. Go Green! Go Sox!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: you had me until

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:10:12 10/05/18 Fri

go Sox

[> [> [> [> Subject: I was thinking that

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:57 10/03/18 Wed

over under is 5000?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Move the game??????

Author:
bowwowwow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:55 10/04/18 Thu

Sorry but Yale isn't Harvard. We just won't move games whenever it suits our needs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Home sweet home,You have to make it outta New Haven 1st

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:09 10/04/18 Thu

Capeesh.? Sally’s, Pepe’s to you.!! Is that Modern enough for you.?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: convenience?

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:24:08 10/04/18 Thu

2 1/2 miles from Harvard to Fenway Park. Is that closer than from the Yale campus to the "Bowl?"

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yale campus to the Yale Bowl 2.2 miles 35 minute walk

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:01:05 10/04/18 Thu

Good stretch of the Legs. Next question please.?

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.