VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Columbia Over Marist 34-24; 3-0 Non-Conference

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:05:59 10/06/18 Sat

Columbia beats Marist 34-24 with return of Josh Bean at QB and despite many missing starters on long injury list.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Columbia Over Marist 34-24; 3-0 Non-Conference

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:34 10/06/18 Sat

A win is a win, but Columbia has to do better than that.

Marist was utterly manhandled in the season opener by much-maligned (unfairly IMHO) Georgetown.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia Over Marist 34-24; 3-0 Non-Conference

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:51:27 10/06/18 Sat

Exciting win as both teams excelled on offense and the Columbia defense played well again against the run. However, the Lions obviously had trouble containing Justin Christian a lightning quick wide receiver. Still, from Columbia's standpoint there were many positives including the very strong play of Josh Bean at quarterback, the excellent showing of the offensive line, the productive running of both Dante Miller and Lynard Rose, the key receptions by tight ends Casey Mariucci and Rory Schlageter, and the terrific kicking game.

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:20 10/06/18 Sat

A good win overall. Bean was a little rusty but showed good poise in the pocket and made some crisp passes. He showed why he is CU's number one quarterback. Let's see if he can improve as the season goes along. Marist may not be a great team, so it is perhaps hard to tell how well Columbia actually played. But it was good for Lions to get on track and especially good to see the 1-2 combo running game of Rose and Miller. Miller is developing nicely and is very hard to bring down.

Author:
Old Lion (Depth)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:07:23 10/07/18 Sun

I am concerned about the toll that injuries are taking. By my count we are down at least 6 starters. Getting Bean back is a huge plus, but what surprises me is that more guys haven’t stepped up. With three top 25 recruiting classes in a row I would have thought that we could make up the losses in personnel. But Al’s pattern is to work rookies into the lineup slowly as the year progresses. It is hard to understand why a lopsided time of possession advantage did not result in a blow-out, but then again how do you let an opposing WR go for 275 yards and three TDS? Right now the number one priority is the pass defense and getting in place better coverage on fast WRs.

[> [> Subject: Re: Columbia Over Marist 34-24; 3-0 Non-Conference

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:55:44 10/07/18 Sun

Pass defense is definitely a cause for concern. Even after CU knew that their receiver was going to thrown to, CU could do absolutely nothing to stop him. Is this because no one in the league could stop him that day? I doubt it. He is a good player but he is not playing for Ohio State.
Otherwise, my sense is that there were a number of players who stepped up for the injured ones, and it bodes well that Bean is back. Dante Miller is a strong back and I am guessing he is better than some others who are upper classmen

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Columbia Over Marist 34-24; 3-0 Non-Conference

Author:
cadyellow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:59:32 10/07/18 Sun

Pass defense is definitely a cause for concern. Even after CU knew that the Marist receiver was going to be thrown to all day, CU could do absolutely nothing to stop him. Is this because no one in the league could stop him that day? I doubt it. He is a good player but he is not playing for Ohio State.
Otherwise, my sense is that there were a number of players who stepped up for the injured ones, and it bodes well that Bean is back. Dante Miller is a strong back and I am guessing he is better than some others who are upper classmen.
We played a hard fought game, but I have a sense that we made Marist look much better than they are, like a top tier Ivy team.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.