VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Yale

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:47:05 10/07/18 Sun
In reply to: Tiger69 's message, "Re: Dartmouth-Yale" on 17:28:07 10/07/18 Sun

Since we still play Princeton next to last and Harvard last only the order of the other games has changed for Yale over the years.

I do miss playing Dartmouth on, or around, Halloween, though.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Yale / Ivy scheduling

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:35:47 10/07/18 Sun

I, too, miss the Halloween date with Dartmouth. That was a long time ago, though.

I think I've mentioned it on this board before, but my belief is that the original (1956-1975) Ivy schedule was devised with the following as the first two steps in the process:
1) Yale plays everyone in alphabetical order, except with Harvard last (B, Col, Cor, D, Pn, Pr, H)
2) Harvard does the same, but with Brown shifted to next-to-last, out of necessity. (Col, Cor, D, Pn, Pr, B, Y)

That resulted in Yale-Dartmouth being around Halloween.

Of course, back then, the season didn't start until the LAST Saturday in September, and was only 9 games long.

Just think: this past weekend's games would've been "Week 2" under that formula -- the second of two OoC games. NEXT week would be Yale/Brown, Harvard/Columbia, opening day of the Ivy schedule.

And, to tie this back into the Dartmouth/Princeton scheduling discussion -- to those bemoaning the moving of that game off of the final weekend, keep in mind that it used to be the finale ONLY in years where it was played in NJ. When it was played at Dartmouth, it was the Ivy opener.

Basically, Dartmouth was always at home in week 3, against either Princeton or Penn in alternating years, and would finish the season on the road against the other. Cornell would do the same. This was presumably to avoid hostile weather conditions at the two rural schools in late November.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-Yale / Ivy scheduling

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:53:48 10/07/18 Sun

gentlemen; back in that era there was no home and away series with the bears, lions and indians which sometimes resulted in eight home games including the undefeated 1960 squad who did not play an away game until the final game at the horseshoe by the river charles. by the way blue 39 cantabs 6 as I recall.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.