VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Columbia BB player on Knicks G-League team

Author:
Ed S.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:05:59 10/09/18 Tue

The Knicks are forming the most expensive G-League team in history, and the latest addition is expected to be forward Jeff Coby, an art history major out of Columbia, who signed Sunday.

In using a new addition to the collective-bargaining agreement, the Knicks, from Oct. 2-7, signed five players to their main roster on Exhibit 10 contracts. All except Coby were released the next day, and he was earmarked for the Westchester Knicks.

The Exhibit 10 deals were incentives for those players to eschew overseas work because the contract stipulates they will receive a $50,000 bonus if they remain with Westchester for 60 days. It’s a subtle way of the Knicks flexing financial muscle.

The 6-foot-8 Coby was given a special non-monetary bonus of practicing with the Knicks since Sunday. He dressed for Monday’s preseason game and will do so again in the finale Friday. On Monday he, too, will get the ax, although Columbia grads are dreamers.

“Shoot for the stars, you may end up on the moon,” Coby told The Post. “I’m training with these guys, so sky is the limit. I’m getting better all the time. I’ll see where that lands me.”

Coby’s alma mater is not an NBA breeding ground. Small forward Jim McMillian, a 1970s Knick, was the last Knicks player who matriculated at Columbia. The 24-year-old Coby, who is from Miami, had other Division I offers in better basketball conferences, but his parents are Bronx natives and the Ivy League appealed to his academic side. Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Boston University and Holy Cross also offered scholarships.

“There was a fair amount of mid-major interest,’’ said Coby, who averaged 5.2 points and 3.9 rebounds with the Lions from 2013-2017. “If I wasn’t going to go to a high Division I, the Ivy League is the next best thing for me.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/knicks-expensive-g-league-team-adds-an-ivy-league-dreamer/

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.