VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Pro football today is more fun to watch than college game.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:09:14 10/09/18 Tue

No doubt I am a football junkie and just love the game as both a former player and life long fan. For many years like college basketball my favorite was college football. I not only enjoyed following the Ivy League but some of my other favorite teams like Notre Dame and Syracuse. However today I think the college game is very boring as nearly every team runs basically the exact same no huddle spread-option shot gun all the time offense. In comparison, in previous decades every college seemed to have their own style of football including the I-formation, wish bone, triple option, pro set split backs, multi-flex (Rustic) and various multiple formations. Joe Namath even ran some shot gun during his era. I am just begging someone to please run some other formation than the shot gun spread. Excuse my French but today it's boring &%$#! football.

In comparison last evening I watched Drew Brees break the NFL passing record and it was a joy to watch. During the game the Saints ran multiple plays and various formations. Sometimes Brees was under center with one tailback, the I formation, and even an empty backfield. The next play he was running the shotgun in more of a spread formation. Sometimes the Saints called a huddle and other times they went no huddle. A lot of the Saints game plan is Football 101, but it's so much more fun than watching over and over again spread option offense. Maybe that's one of the reasons college football attendance continues to decline.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Sprint...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:45:50 10/10/18 Wed

If you think that Princeton's offense is boring, I don't know what to tell you.

I can only hope that Dartmouth makes Princeton's offense look boring in a few weeks. But until then...

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Pro football today is more fun to watch than college game.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:47 10/10/18 Wed

Hopefully, Cornell will stay in the game at Princeton long enough for Surace to pull out a 3QB set or single wing, and Sprint’s anxiety will be reduced.

Which is not to say there aren’t some unimaginative OCs around, which is a different discussion. The complaints on the board related to trying to fit talent into a set system, rather than adapt the offense to the available talent, is related as well.

As for the NFL, name four pro running backs. ??

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:26:22 10/10/18 Wed

Princeton this year is a powerhouse and probably a FCS contender in the playoffs IF they were allowed to play. They are fun to watch.

However college football coaches today are a bunch of “copy cats” as everyone is running the same offense that looks like CFL football. Every college game on TV is the same offense. Boring.

[> [> Subject: Re: Pro football today is more fun to watch than college game.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:17:13 10/10/18 Wed

I would find the traditional three yards and cloud of dust (or rubberized pellets), so-called smashmouth football, offense boring.

And pro offenses are becoming much more pass oriented as rules are adopted and modified to increase scoring for entertainment value and reduce physicality.

But to each, their own.

Author:
Newk
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:39:01 10/10/18 Wed

You must have been a big fan (although not of the outcome given you are a fan of the Orange) of the Syracuse-Pitt game last Saturday, where I think like 24 of Pitt's final 25 plays on offense were runs even though they were playing from behind. Definitely "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football. Or perhaps you should consider following the Navy and Georgia Tech programs.

[> [> Subject: Re: Pro football today is more fun to watch than college game.

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:04:15 10/10/18 Wed

Love pro football; especially the SEC, Big 10,and ACC.

[> [> [> Subject: Close thread

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:07:58 10/10/18 Wed

[> Subject: And right on cue

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:06:41 10/10/18 Wed

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/25178/how-the-chiefs-and-patriots-have-brought-college-offenses-to-the-nfl

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.