VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Prep School recruiting

Author:
ivy guy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:47:15 10/01/21 Fri

From Tom Lemming--long time national HS recruiting guru:

The top program in Connecticut is Loomis Chaffee prep in Windsor. Led by one of the top coaches in the east Jeff Moore. Super impressive program and facilities. Coach Moore is loaded for the next couple of years and Chaffee Is a must stop for college recruiters.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:02 10/01/21 Fri

Yeah not bad if you can swing the $63K per year price tag. Maybe the best rich kid's prep school does well in New England, but Loomis Chaffee would get crushed by some of the public high schools in Florida and Texas. Also many of the Catholic school powerhouses in Ohio would beat them up too. If I am a college recruiter Loomis Chafee would not be a priority.

https://www.loomischaffee.org/admission/tuition

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:59:08 10/01/21 Fri

Sprint
I agree. Even the best prep school football teams would get crushed by average or better teams from the HS football hotbeds.

Ivy coaches like to pick-off the better prep school athletes-- because they are very Ivy focused, and elite prep schools tend to get a free pass from IL Admissions.

Which is why parents pony-up $63K+ for a gap year (insert gratuitous Varsity Blues comment).

FWIW, the US military academies have a similar deal with their neighboring “military “ prep schools.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:39 10/01/21 Fri

Service academies "park" a lot of recruited athletes at their prep schools for a year.

Author:
Oamale
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:02 10/01/21 Fri

Loomis chaffee, st thomas more, choate, suffield have been loading up on FCS/D1 talent recently

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:21:33 10/01/21 Fri

I don’t think there was one player on the 2019 All Ivy football first or second team that went to a prep school. That’s why the top teams have been focusing recruiting on football hotbeds in TX, FL, GA, CA, OH and PA

Author:
Sr. Punter (ITHO)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:01:24 10/01/21 Fri

, there's Ivy BB.

Author:
tomhanks22 ()
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:21:13 01/11/22 Tue

I've heard about this training. I also know who Jeff Moore is. I wanted to send my son there, but it didn't work out for me. He wanted to study at the university, dreamed of becoming a marketer. I thought he had enough motivation to do his homework himself. But now he contacts with apa paper writing service, he uses https://paperell.com/apa-style-papers for that. In general, he began to be very lazy and does nothing for his future. I hope he will still take his head and go to recruiting school. I think this will be the best of the best for him..

Last edited by author: Sat April 16, 2022 12:05:45 GMT-6   Edited 1 time.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:03:32 01/11/22 Tue

New coach as of yesterday, Adam Banks.

Expensive, yes. One-third get financial aid.

If the school helps kids "prepare" for college academics and college athletics successfully, that is a good thing, regardless of how well its teams would fare against top competition. I don't know how many athletes they put into high academic colleges. Nate Martey this past fall got into 4 games as DL at P as a freshman before he was injured. He spent time at this school and credits it highly.

Not that it isn't impressive and valuable to come from a highly rated high school football program. I believe Bergen Catholic was just rated number 3 in the country by one service, fwiw. It has regularly supplied footballers to the Ivies. Cheers.

Author:
Drew2411
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:46:57 01/11/22 Tue

Fwiw, their top recruit for class of 22 is going to Michigan, their second to BC. Their top recruit for 23 is rated in top 100 in country and is 6’7” 315 OT expected to go to Bama.

So it is not that their top players aren’t good enough for Ivy, they are too good for Ivy League.

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:56:15 01/12/22 Wed

My perspective may be somewhat dated but perhaps not. Most prep school kids who go on to success at the next level have gone to prep school for one year as pg's. They get to shine up their academics as well as getting a year of presumably good coaching. They are often steered in this direction by university admission people.

An exception to all this is hockey where prep stars are highly recruited and the very best turn pro right away.

Author:
Hawk196
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:42:30 01/12/22 Wed

The top 3 hotbeds for highschool leagues is S. Ohio, N. New Jersey & California. I'm partial to N. New Jersey and the big 3 (Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco Prep and St. Joes (montvale) would annihilate any ct/mass team. A few years ago some of the private prep schools in NJ wouldn't play these teams, only in lax and baseball (a joke). They are run like college programs and it shows. Always ranked in the top 100 programs in the country (Bergan Catholic was #6 in the country this year). The most interesting thing is these schools are within a 5+ mile radius of each other

Author:
Lurker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:39 01/13/22 Thu

I believe current designation for what used to be 1A is FBS

Fwiw north jersey catholic school teams are indeed talented but people tend to exaggerate. There are probably 1 - 4 Fbs/fcs level players in each graduating class for each of the “big 3” most years. Plus a few division 3 players. Bergen had an exceptional and deep team this year with perhaps more div 1 players. Second and third teams are definitely not college talent levels. In fact it is a bit of a shame when young guys choose to chase dreams of stardom and dont ever really play when if they stayed a their local hs they could have had a great 2 or 3 year varsity fb experience

But to each their own

Author:
parent
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:48:22 01/13/22 Thu

Great thread.
I have a decades of experience (as player, coach, parent in NE prep league) on this topic.
I have also lived in Texas for many years and I am highly involved in high school football here in the Lonestar state.
First point I would make is “everything” has changed compared to 30 or so years ago for High School Football. I see a bunch of generalizations being made on this topic that very well could have been true years ago---but not today.
Today high school football is a national recruiting game—key tools that helped created this, of course, include internet, ease of uploading video, sites like 24/7, and organizations like FBU.
The top NE Preps are pretty solid teams from a national point of view. However, to gain entry into the Top 50 rankings that several publications produce, NE preps will need to travel out of league.
Sadly, this tends to be the exception vs. the rule.
Maxprep will, by tradition, include Ohio and Georgia’s state champs in the top national rankings without those schools playing out of league. But for Choate or Loomis to gain entry they must travel to Florida, Texas, Ohio, California, or even NJ to earn entry onto those top lists.
At the moment, the top NE Prep programs seem uninterested as their school leaderships are under heavy pressure to put resources into many things “other than football”.
As for the top players in the NE prep league, they have LONG AGO set their sights on 1A/FCS football.
The IVY league is recruiting the “second tier” of players in the NE Prep league.
This is no longer even a debate, and you can see the All-Ivy list as a perfect example of that---the top NE prep kids are going to Michigan, Bama, West Virginia, Stanford---just like kids in Texas---they don’t want to play in the Ivy League without a chance to even compete for the 1AA Natty, and get zero NIL money.
Making matters worse, the “40 years vs. 4 year” argument for kids to go Ivy vs. FCS is no longer as strong when the jobs and economic growth in the USA are in places like Texas and Florida where the value of an IVY degree (vs. SEC, ACC) could arguably be worse, not better, in terms of joining the biz community.
Next, I have attended two IMG games in person. One against Bergen Catholic and the other against Duncanville. Both opponents are perennial powers in NJ and Texas. In both cases IMG went onto blow out wins. The big reason I saw is IMG shows up with 52 guys that are between 3 and 5 star guys and they all play special teams too. IMG, and some others at this level, are running national all-star teams---not cohesive from a spirit point of view, and zero fan base, but super talented. Bergen and Duncanville had great fight in them, and I respect them for taking the game, but they were just outclassed.
Finally, this year’s Westlake team in Texas was a public-school exception that could play with the IMG’s of the world. Three straight championships and I have watched them play a dozen times in last 5 years. The reason is not just because of their 5-star QB and some 4 star skill guys---but because they had Westlake had the best O line in the USA. Ironically, a Westlake team captain and University of Texas OL commit, is from---drum roll….a NE Prep school!
His family moved to Texas two years ago (along with another CT player) ---to get on field as NE canceled school.
The outcome interesting---both players arrived with just 1AA interest---and both left with state champ rings, a captain honor, and commits to Power 5 schools.
One may wonder if this experience means the NE kids are actually underrecruited by the Power 5

Author:
ivy guy (agree parent)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:08:41 01/13/22 Thu

parent
Thanks for your thoughtful contrrribution.

I agree with most of your assessment.
Prep Schools are a good source of academically prepared, Ivy-focused players.
I also agree that recruitng has become a national game, with great athletes being targeted from large and small schools in all 50 states.
I also agree that the top tier Prep athletes (a small number in total, given the size of the teams) are getting picked off by elite programs.
My only departure is the sheer volume of D1 talent coming out of Florida, Georgia, and Texas. Schools like IMG, Bergen, St. Thomas Aquinas, and Duncanville are loaded with big, fast, college-ready players.2nd teamers can be successful in many FCS and most BCS programs.

When looking at the annual uptake of IL football teams (~28 per school,225 for the entire IL per year) even with high academic entry requirments, there is plenty of good players nationwide.

The challenge is for the IL schools to get on the radar of coaches, and players in their HS sophomore and junior years. Among prep schools and northeast high schools--this is a given. Less so in many HS football hotbeds.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Prep School recruiting

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:14:07 01/13/22 Thu

Westlake, TX and Lake Travis, TX have been the two primary district powers in Austin for past 10 years. Several of the top players from these teams over the years have played in Ivies - under the radar types who could have played FBS but looked at the long term benefits of an Ivy education. Including:

Reed Klubnik - Yale ( think he still may hold Westlake all time receiving record)

Luke Hutton - Harvard ( two time first team all district LB at Lake Travis)

Daniel Aidman - Brown ( first team all district LB at Westlake)

Max Mangum - Harvard ( first team all district DB at Westlake)

Abe Willows - Penn ( first team all district RB at Lake Travis)

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:54 01/13/22 Thu

Thanks, Parent. Good to have your input. I have no insights about team comparisons other than the admittedly imperfect national rankings.

In September 2015, I see MaxPreps reported that #19 IMG defeated #20 Bergen Catholic 59-47. Did they play each other more recently?

Anyway, MaxPreps listed BC at number 3 this year. USA Today Super 25 had them at #4. FWIW.

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:59 01/13/22 Thu

All due respect to the great talent in NJ, but cannot compare it to the hotbed regions in TX, FL and GA. Gwinnett County in GA alone has 32 players on NFL rosters and the teams in Gwinnett are perennially in the top 20 nationally - Collins Hill, Grayson, Buford, Norcross, North Gwinnett, Archer yo name a few.

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/multimedia/slideshows/gwinnett-grads-on-2021-nfl-football-rosters/collection_0428908e-1192-11ec-8904-6f083d699002.html#3

Author:
parent
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:24:05 01/15/22 Sat

Gents, what a great board---so many intelligent comments from you all.
Two cents---all of those players from the "Lakes" school were terrific high school players and I watched them many times. While I didn't get to see them at the collegiate level I know they were quite accomplished, including, if I recall, earning captain in the case of Luke. I have gotten to know some of them as young men now in workplace and they represent IL very well indeed. Lake Travis last year put four of their starters (and 3 of them all district) to into Columbia and University of Chicago. Point is these kids in Texas can be "sold" why an IL/U Chicago, type education is best path for playing time and then post career.
Bengal, I was at that game. If you were a BC fan you could not have been more proud of your team---they fought like Badgers. But in reality it ended up a 12 point game but the bulge was much wider before the garbage time began. BC had about a dozen or so Power 5 kids, a bunch of solid 1AA kids, and about 10 future D3 starters. But BC coach played is twos and JV studs on special teams and that created the biggest mismatchs of the day. IMG can be argued to represent everything that is "wrong" with the new era of HS football, but then that is my old school gene speaking.
Two cents---New Jersey is kind of small and like Louisiana---not able to compete with the big powers of CA, TX, and FLA, from sheer volume but their teams are just one level below, in my humble opinion, and when they get on run (like Bosco years ago) can be the best in teh USA. The fact that we all tend to sleep on GA is wrong---what a hotbed, and thanks for bringing them up.

Author:
Old Lion (Question)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:17:51 01/16/22 Sun

Who is the Lake Travis player now at Columbia?

[> [> Subject: Parent, Tardy thanks

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:16 01/19/22 Wed

Thanks, Parent. Not a BC fan, just aware of the strength of this Jersey program and that it puts a good number of players into the Ivies. Cheers.

Author:
parent
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:00:54 01/16/22 Sun

There were two. Brown and Niland. And two at the U of Chicago. All four were starters on a very strong (albeit not state champ) team. All 4 super kids. Central Texas football is very good; there are a huge number of Power 5 recruits and NFL starters from Central Texas. My observation, however, is that Central Texas is also a "process machine" in that the Pee Wee programs are consistent and run by the same Head Coach as High School---this often serves these programs well when state playoffs come and they face more star laden teams from DFW or East Texas. If I were an IL recruiter and had to pick just one part of Texas to focus upon it would be central as some of the top academic public schools also in this area and there are a bunch of 1AA prospects. West Texas harder sell. Overall, the challenge now with the Texas economy drawing so many of the world's leading companies is that the "40 year vs. 4 year" pitch is not easy and quite honestly an A&M, Longhorn, Baylor, etc. degree on the job trail in Texas on another level than an IL degree. The loyalty is incredible. A joke I am sure fellow Texans on this board will appreciate---Texans (both Native and Honorary, which they deem non-born) do not leave state borders too often---besides trips to Colorado/Wyoming and Destin Florida---we just like being in Texas:)

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.