VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Two Brown Ivy League Championships

Author:
ivy guy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:54:55 11/07/21 Sun

On Saturdaythe Brown Women's Soccer and Volleyball teams clinched outright Ivy League Championships.

Congratulations to these great athletes and Coach Ahen Kim (Volleyball) and Kia McNeill (Soccer).

Both programs are lead by talented underclassmen and are well positioned for the future.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Two Brown Ivy League Championships

Author:
Grin and Bear it (Christina Paxson)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:15:24 11/07/21 Sun

As a Brown alum, and having suffered through nearly 20 years of athletic apathy, it is encouraging to know that with the right coach, and the proper support, Brown can achieve a high level of athletic success. President Paxson has spearheaded the movement to more respectability in intercollegiate sports, and I salute her. But Ms Paxson's presidency has gone far beyond her support of athletics, she has propelled Brown forward on many fronts. In every respect, she has been an outstanding university president and Brown is all the better for her efforts.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Two Brown Ivy League Championships

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:22:04 11/07/21 Sun

Totally agree with Grin & Bear It
Support of University leadership is essential to athletic success.
Christine is not a charismatic speaker or personality, but she has surrounded herself with a strong leadership group for campus operations and academics, and elevated athletics to a cabinet-level position with the AD serving as a VP.

President Paxson is very visible on campus and athletic events, including the Ivy Championship clinching games for volleyball and women's soccer and football games.

I feel that the tide is turning toward a model than embraces and supports athletics as part of the campus experience at Brown.

The trajectory of men’s basketball is good. This year's squad will be very competitive in the league and should finish in the upper division.

Women’s basketball has a new coach, who an aggressive recruiter. Give them a few seasons to match the volleyball and soccer teams successes.

More to follow in future posts on the process of turning around the football program ...

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Two Brown Ivy League Championships

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:16 11/07/21 Sun

Ivy guy, you seem to be knowledgeable of some of the inner workings in the athletic department. Any idea if there’s hope for hockey (both men’s and women’s), which used to be marquee programs for Brown? It seems both programs have been neglected by several generations of administrators now, and it’s become hard to watch. I’d love for the hockey teams to even consistently be competitive within their respective conferences.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Two Brown Ivy League Championships

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:23 11/07/21 Sun

honestly, my dialog with the athletic department is more limited since Grace Calhoun replaced Jack Hayes.
I do not have useful insight into the two hockey programs, other than the obvious dissatisfaction with the results on the ice. Stay tuned.

Jack Hayes started, and hopefully Grace will continue, the process of raising expectations and providing resources to each team. The HC's of these programs is the best place to start.

Jack made the tough calls on Phil Estes (football) and Sarah Behn (women's basketball).. Kia McNeill in soccer and Ahen Kim in volleyball were excellent hires. I am very confident that James Perry will achieve success with the football program, but it will take time.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Two Brown Ivy League Championships

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:55:05 11/07/21 Sun

Thanks for the insight – it’s good to hear there is dissatisfaction with the product internally. I’m not in the business of calling for anyone’s job, but I can’t help but notice Brendan Whittier’s 3-year extension signed in 2019 is set to expire at the end of this season, and there’s a new AD in town. So I suppose that situation warrants keeping a close eye.

If nothing else, I’m pleased to see that Meehan received upgrades this past year. Recruiting at an old barn is very tough, especially given how empty it is all the time.

[> [> Subject: Cornell needs a President Paxson

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:13:58 11/07/21 Sun

Cornell President Martha Pollack is certainly no Christine Paxon of Brown Martha Pollack does not attend athletic events and if she does only stays less than a quarter of a football game or basketball game. Very rarely is she seen on campus interacting with students. She has no interest in elevating Cornell sports especially football. She has undermined the Cornell Football Association, disciplined football players quite severely for minor infractions and basically has cast a cloud over the entire athletic department. Quite simply Cornell athletics and Cornell Football in particular will not flourish until she leaves. She offers no support, not even lip service. She operates in a vacuum and could care less whether Cornell competes in athletics. She has created an adversarial environment at Cornell.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:43:06 11/07/21 Sun

For those not really focused on “minor” sports, these should be seen in a context that Bruno has won a total of six Ivy championships over the prior ten years. A very serious step forward.

As good a time as any to also congratulate the fall’s other Ivy champs, Harvard’s field hockey and women’s cross-country teams, and Princeton’s men’s soccer and cross-country teams. Really great to see everybody up and running.

Author:
Travis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:22:31 11/07/21 Sun

I agree with the sentiments above. Brown's two fall championships are no small achievement.

The good news is that this shows, yes, it can be done. The bad news is that this turn of events undermines those who say it can't.

The most common response to problems in this country, whether the triviality of losing sports teams or serious social inequities, is complaining and assigning of blame. That feels good, but the best response is just getting to work. Bravo Bruno.

Author:
Sr. Punter (Men's Hockey)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:55:45 11/07/21 Sun

I am not a big hockey fan but I am told Brown has an excellent freshman class.

Author:
Moonbear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:30 11/07/21 Sun

I have been very impressed with the three rookie defensemen who have received playing time, as well as the goalie, who appears to be a star in the making. I worry, however, about the team’s ability to generate offense - something they have struggled to do for much of the past 7 or 8 years. Haven’t noticed much out of the freshman forwards yet, but I do hope that changes.

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:02:42 11/07/21 Sun

Congratulations to The Bears Women's Soccer and Volleyball teams. Winning two Ivy championships in the same weekend is a significant achievement. I hope both Brown's program's have a extended stay in the NCAA Tournaments.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:17:36 11/07/21 Sun

Kudos to these two programs, and I am happy to see others expressing the same sentiment.

FYI: In women's soccer and field hockey P is hoping for at-large NCAA bids. We'll see.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:42:22 11/08/21 Mon

Brown, Princeton and Harvard all in the NCAA women’s soccer tourney. Tigers barely miss out on field hockey with team with no seniors, Harvard only goes.

Other brackets announced later, NCAA cross country regionals Friday.

[> [> [> Subject: Womens Soccer NCAA's

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:27:13 11/08/21 Mon

Having three Ivy League teams in the final 64 is a great accomplishment. Harvard and Princeton are very talented. These selections highlight the accomplishment of the Bears with an undefeated league season.

[> Subject: Brown, But Why Not Penn?

Author:
Travis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:49:20 11/08/21 Mon

The more I think about these two Brown championships, the more impactful the achievement becomes.

In both sports, there were well entrenched incumbents. In the case of women's soccer, it was Princeton and Harvard, who have dominated for at least a decade. In the case of women's volleyball, it was Princeton and Yale, who have also been at the top for as long, if not longer.

In neither sport did any of the incumbents go through a coaching change or any obvious reason to fall off the pace. So in both cases, it was simply Brown muscling aside the well entrenched incumbents.

Neither sport seems to offer the quick route to success through lowering academic standards. This is not men's basketball. A new coach needs to sell her program to recruits on opportunity and potential.

Lastly, Calhoun seems to have made a quick impact at Brown. The obvious question would be, "Why didn't she do the same at Penn?"

[> Subject: Re: Martha Pollack only wants her students buried in their laptop.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:22 11/08/21 Mon

I think president Martha Pollack believes Cornell students should have their heads buried in their laptops every waking moment. That's probably one of the reasons Cornell has one of the highest rates of student depression in the country. I have traveled to Cornell many times for student interviews and our HR department often finds Cornell students to be very smart, but with poor communication skills and lack of teamwork. I am not making this stuff up as this was a major company I was working at during those interviews. I think that's a major cultural issue at Cornell, which impacts not only athletics, but many aspects of student life on campus.

[> [> Subject: Re: Martha Pollack only wants her students buried in their laptop.

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:50 11/09/21 Tue

Martha Pollacks career background is in Artificial Intelligence (really!) Not true intelligence. Ha ! Ha! When Cornell hired her as President the Board of Trustees was singularly focused on hiring another female. Especially since the previous President Elizabeth Garrett died after 7 months in office. The very well liked and personable Elizabeth Garrett loved sports and wanted Cornell to be particularly competitive, especially in football. She once stated “Football was in her DNA. Pollack can’t hold a candle to Elizabeth Garrett. She is a left wing ideologue. Her 2019 commencement speech was all about voting. Hint Hint don’t we all hate Trump. Her agenda for Cornell is 100% woke. She is the worst appointment Cornell could have made for President. Hopefully for the kids at Cornell she won’t last long.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.