VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: To be perfectly honest...

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:46:00 11/07/21 Sun
In reply to: Ivy Inquisitor 's message, "Did I stump the panel ?" on 04:19:09 11/07/21 Sun

If Princeton forfeited a game to Dartmouth based on the use of an ineligible player a few months after the game was played, I'd feel silly demanding that the Sawhorse Dollar be shipped to Hanover...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Since this no longer happens, which school retains this item.?

Author:
Ivy wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:56:18 11/07/21 Sun

Will there ever be restoration of this event.?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Since this no longer happens, which school retains this item.?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:45:59 11/07/21 Sun

Given that Princeton has never shown any interest in the Sawhorse Dollar (if anything, Surace pretty much disavowed it as meaningless a few years back), and given that Dartmouth has shown an interest in it at least in years past, I'd say that it will remain in Floren Varsity House's trophy room if it's not being traded anymore.

I'll leave it up to everyone else to decide if there's a correlation between the above and Tad's observation on Friday evening that Dartmouth has always had Princeton's number throughout the decades....

[> [> [> [> Subject: GG: Now you define "has always had their number....."

Author:
Valmas (Seized)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:11 11/07/21 Sun

They've met 100 times; Dartmouth's won 51 of them. Even Friday night's game was competitive- at least if you're a student of the various analytical categories that don't mean very much.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm just quoting Tad (and Inwood Tiger, I guess)

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:13:23 11/07/21 Sun

https://www.voy.com/152805/200845.html

I doubt citing Princeton's record against us from the 1930s back will make them feel better... :)

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: At least you're not quoting Woodrow Wilson, but...

Author:
Valmad (Still seized)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:25:22 11/07/21 Sun

how did that series play out while you were in school?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: At least you're not quoting Woodrow Wilson, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:40:08 11/07/21 Sun

The Ivy still had freshmen football in my day. In 1989, Princeton beat us en route to a shared title with Yale (Cozza's last title). They also won the freshmen game against us if that means anything... :)

In 1990, 1991, and 1992, we beat them. 1991 was a "winner take all" game. 1992 enabled us to share the title with the Tigers (we had gotten upset against Cornell a few weeks earlier).

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Forgot to mention!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:59:38 11/07/21 Sun

The 1989 freshmen game at Princeton was especially a thrill for me. Not only was it my first collegiate game, but we shared a locker room with the New Jersey Nets (who were training at Princeton at the time).

It was the first time I had seen NBA guys up close. They were BIG!!!!

:)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: GG: Apropos of next to nothing....

Author:
Valmas (Seized)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:45:51 11/07/21 Sun

one of the very biggest NewJersey Nets on that'89 team was seven foot center, Chris Dudley. Dudley, of course, came out of Yale; a school that not only will you be mightily rooting for in six days time; but a school that can lay far better claim than Dartmouth to "having Princeton's football number":those two have met 142 times; Yale's won seventy-eight; including fourteen straight from 1967 to 1980; and by a score of 51-14 the last time the two met in 2019.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: No kidding!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:53 11/07/21 Sun

Ha! I never knew that Dudley was on that team! I really didn't pay much attention to Ivy sports history until a while after I got there, so I wouldn't have known him at the time anyway...

... that said, there were a good number of 7-footers (or darn close to it) in that locker room with us. It was something!

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.