VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ivy Team of the year

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor (ECAC inspired)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:25:17 11/07/21 Sun

Every winter the ECAC awards a football program as ECAC team of the year. This is a separate award from the Lambert Cup& Trophy. Since the Ivy League has singled out the football program for eternal probation giving the award to a non-Ivy football champion will do some justice. Think of the Big Green 2018 (8-2) and 2019(9-1)they had no reward for their stellar seasons. Here would by my recommendations for "Ivy team of year"
2013:Brown (6-4)
2014:Yale(8-2)
2015:Brown(5-5)
2016:Cornell(4-6)
2017:Columbia(8-2)
2018:Dartmouth(9-1)
2019:Cornell(4-6)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Joking? Let’s review 2016, 2019 Cornell Football

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:40 11/07/21 Sun

Ivy Inquisitor - Did you post this as a joke? Are you trying to make the Brown and Cornell alumni feel good about their dreadful programs. Cornell’s football team started off hot in 2016. Beat Bucknell in the opener, then a weak Yale team and upset Colgate by a point. After that something happened and 5 straight losses came about before beating a 3-7 Columbia team 42-20. Last game of 2016 season lost to Penn 42-20. Hardly what I would call the “2016 Ivy team of the year”. The 2019 team started off with a 21-7 win over Marist, lost the next 4 games to Yale, Georgetown, Harvard and Colgate. Beat Brown the next week by 2 points with a field goal in the last minute the bounced through the uprights. Lost to Penn and Princeton the following weekends. Finished the season with an upset of Dartmouth and a win over Columbia. In 2019 were 4-6 and 3-4 in the Ivy League not exactly what I would call the “2019 Ivy team of the year”. 2014 Yale team , 2017 Columbia team and 2018 Dartmouth teams are teams I can agree with you as turnaround teams, but those Cornell teams even though there was a bright spot or two were not turnaround teams and certainly not “Ivy teams of the year”. David Archer has not turned the program around in the 9 years since he was named head coach.Never a winning season or a season over .500. This year will be 8 straight losing seasons.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: No Joke

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor (Great& improved teams)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:58:56 11/07/21 Sun

Red Ivy: My prior post is no joke at all. Granted not every one will agree with my suggestions. That's up for debate,something we're currently having. The sole purpose for this suggestion is Ivy football is a winner take all conference. That leaves out excellent teams:Dartmouth 17-3 in 2018-2019, 2018 Columbia(8-2) and 2014 Yale(8-2). So this is not intended to make any long suffering team feel better about sub- mediocrity. You mentioned some convincing points why Cornell shouldn't be included. The reason for suggesting 2019 Cornell because heading into the season I though they were a 2-3 win team. The Dartmouth victory is probably the biggest 1-AA upset that year . Then the following week in the Empire State Bowl rivalry game they tore through the Lion's like a hot knife into butter. It's hard to argue with your points about 2016 Cornell. Who would you proclaim "Ivy Team of the year " for 2016 and 2019? In years when there's Co \ Tri- champions it will make it harder to select a deserving team. Congratulations on taking the Trustees Cup.

[> [> Subject: Re: No, you really are Joking

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:20:42 11/08/21 Mon

Like I said in an earlier post. Cornell’s teams with Archer follow a pattern. This year may be an exception since they played poorly early on. Generally they start the year off well.. Then they play dismally for 5-6 games and then pull off one or maybe two victories towards the end of the season preserving Archer’s job with promises for a great next year. I’ve seen this movie many times in his 9 years as an ineffective and losing Coach. He’s pulled of notable upsets like 2017 against Princeton and Harvard , 2018 against Harvard and 2019 against Dartmouth. Of all of those I agree with you the Dartmouth victory in 2019 was the high point of his coaching career. Still wouldn’t call them “team of the year”. Looks like Dartmouth should defeat them this year (revenge for 2019). Also Cornell has a really good chance against Columbia since it looks like the annual end of the year spiral downward for Columbia. Cornell may very well go 3-8 again for the 3rd time in the last 5 years.

[> Subject: Re: Ivy Team of the year

Author:
Oamale
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:36:32 11/08/21 Mon

2019 Cornell had the potential to be one of the best Cornell teams in recent memory, but the ball didnt bounce their way enough. Everyone knows about the Dartmouth upset, beating a league champ is no joke. But they also lost a game to Penn they should have won, Cornell controlled the game for the most part but a Penn trick play ended up being the deciding factor. Somewhat overlooked though is the 2019 Cornell-Yale game. Cornell really took it to Yale for most of that game. They were up 10-3 late in the third quarter and in control but a bone headed play call, a delay dump off pass to the RB resulted in a Yale pick 6 and the game ultimately slipped out of Cornells hands.

[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Team of the year ?

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:42:13 11/08/21 Mon

Could of, should of and would of. You are sounding like Coach David Archer!!

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor (Separate scenario)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:54:04 11/08/21 Mon

Oamale: At the end of 2019 game instead of playing for OT Cornell went for 2xp they lined up in the Run and Shoot they handed the ball off to a WR in motion. The play failed and Big Red lost 21-20.

Red Ivy: How about naming Harvard as 2016 "Team of Year"? This Ivy team of the year recognition would be based on a 1 year analysis. It's not intended for a collective coaching critique. Who would you pick for 2016 and 2019 "Team of Year"?

[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Team of the year

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:41:24 11/08/21 Mon

Certainly not Cornell 2016 and 2919 teams.

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:51:09 11/08/21 Mon

The Ivy team of the decade was the 2018 Princeton team with Lovett and Horsted. I think that team would've gone pretty far in the FCS playoffs, too bad they didn't get a chance. Gained 5300 yards of offense and held opponents to 13 ppg. I certainly agree the team of the year is not always the Ivy champ, but not sure there is any criteria that could put Dartmouth ahead of P in 2018.

Author:
Ivy Inquisitor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:18:21 11/08/21 Mon

Roar Lion: I agree with you 100% Princeton averaged 47 ppg and gave up 13 ppg. Two years ago I recommended a conditional playoff birth for a undefeated team. I mentioned how college football also got cheated because the possibility of a national championship game NDSU vs. Princeton. If that played out that way it would have been one of the greatest college football games ever!

That 2018 Tiger team was one of the greatest Ivy's teams. That team reminded me of Princetion's 1950& 1951 teams.

Last year I posted who is the collectively best team during the 2010's. Pennsylvania won 4 titles but their OCC record for 3 of 4 those title seasons was 2-7. I can't fully remember but I think I have to nod to Harvard over Princeton. To be fair the 2017 Dartmouth and 2019 Princeton teams would have defeated quite a few of the league champs.

Author:
Oamale
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:46:25 11/08/21 Mon

I think 2018 Princeton was over rated, only because of how freakishly good everyone thinks they were. They squeaked past Dartmouth and they beat an OK harvard team in a close game that Princeton won on the scoreboard but the on field play suggested Harvard had the physical edge. League champ with two very close and competitive games against other good ivy opponents. Yes they went undefeated but I dont see how that resume separates them tremendously from other Ivy league champs this decade.

Author:
Two Cents
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:53 11/08/21 Mon

Would love to hear what coaching staffs would say in terms of who they thought the best team of the decade was. I would go with Princeton 2018 team. 3 players from that team played in the NFL and their defense was their best under Surace. Lovett was the best QB in the league during the decade in my opinion, although Torgerson was close.

Some would argue that the Dartmouth 2018 team was one of the top teams of the decade as well, even though they finished in second place at 9-1. They steamrolled everyone and their battle against Princeton was a rock fight. Fun fact, Princeton only had the lead in that game for 6 minutes. But they were a hair better than Dartmouth.

I would rank the 2014 Harvard team a notch below the 2018 Princeton team and then the 2018 Dartmouth team below them. A lot of other great teams to consider though. It does seem like the talent level has risen across the league in the past 10 years.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.