VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Brown, But Why Not Penn?

Author:
Travis
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:49:20 11/08/21 Mon
In reply to: ivy guy 's message, "Two Brown Ivy League Championships" on 09:54:55 11/07/21 Sun

The more I think about these two Brown championships, the more impactful the achievement becomes.

In both sports, there were well entrenched incumbents. In the case of women's soccer, it was Princeton and Harvard, who have dominated for at least a decade. In the case of women's volleyball, it was Princeton and Yale, who have also been at the top for as long, if not longer.

In neither sport did any of the incumbents go through a coaching change or any obvious reason to fall off the pace. So in both cases, it was simply Brown muscling aside the well entrenched incumbents.

Neither sport seems to offer the quick route to success through lowering academic standards. This is not men's basketball. A new coach needs to sell her program to recruits on opportunity and potential.

Lastly, Calhoun seems to have made a quick impact at Brown. The obvious question would be, "Why didn't she do the same at Penn?"

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Martha Pollack only wants her students buried in their laptop.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:22 11/08/21 Mon

I think president Martha Pollack believes Cornell students should have their heads buried in their laptops every waking moment. That's probably one of the reasons Cornell has one of the highest rates of student depression in the country. I have traveled to Cornell many times for student interviews and our HR department often finds Cornell students to be very smart, but with poor communication skills and lack of teamwork. I am not making this stuff up as this was a major company I was working at during those interviews. I think that's a major cultural issue at Cornell, which impacts not only athletics, but many aspects of student life on campus.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Martha Pollack only wants her students buried in their laptop.

Author:
Red Ivy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:50 11/09/21 Tue

Martha Pollacks career background is in Artificial Intelligence (really!) Not true intelligence. Ha ! Ha! When Cornell hired her as President the Board of Trustees was singularly focused on hiring another female. Especially since the previous President Elizabeth Garrett died after 7 months in office. The very well liked and personable Elizabeth Garrett loved sports and wanted Cornell to be particularly competitive, especially in football. She once stated “Football was in her DNA. Pollack can’t hold a candle to Elizabeth Garrett. She is a left wing ideologue. Her 2019 commencement speech was all about voting. Hint Hint don’t we all hate Trump. Her agenda for Cornell is 100% woke. She is the worst appointment Cornell could have made for President. Hopefully for the kids at Cornell she won’t last long.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.